Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:49 PM

15,484 posts, read 10,419,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
I hate Wal-Mart. I hope Amazon and Whole Foods puts them ALL the way out of business.
Well, you need to look into Amazon then, you aren't going to like them either. And, what makes you think Whole Food customers are going to still shop there. I'm not walking down aisles filled with crap from China. Hell will freeze over first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 09:17 PM

7,819 posts, read 4,539,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleofariver View Post
Jeff Bezos had dinner with Donald Trump. Jeff Bezos also owns Washington Post. I wonder if they will lighten up on Trump for that. Ehh!!

Jeff is very anti American. He treat his workers like crap.
I wonder how it's possible that there are fully 150 pages on a sticky thread devoted to trading notes on the how and why's of getting a job there on the Seattle City Data page?

Old 06-16-2017, 10:04 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,051,066 times
I stopped at my local Whole Paycheck--I mean Whole Foods--today and noticed that the lines were longer than usual and they seemed to be short on checkers. Maybe they've already started cost cutting measures. Fire some workers. Cut back on quality and service. It's already over priced and second rate.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:30 PM

26,649 posts, read 28,528,829 times
How come we can't just go to the grocery store and buy food? Why do we have to go online, order it, and have it delivered? If I want three bananas, an avocado, and a head of lettuce, I want to pick them out for myself. The store is 15 minutes away and easier to get stuff than by sitting at a computer and ordering it, then waiting. I also don't want to order a ton of stuff that I don't even need just to justify the trouble I have to go to placing an order. Don't want delivery fees either. Maybe just driving to the store to get the stuff and then coming back home will be the next trend?

Trader Joe's is good. I'm not going to do Amazon or Walmart instead of going and buying food. It would be good for the very elderly or disabled though.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:01 AM

7,819 posts, read 4,539,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I stopped at my local Whole Paycheck--I mean Whole Foods--today and noticed that the lines were longer than usual and they seemed to be short on checkers. Maybe they've already started cost cutting measures. Fire some workers. Cut back on quality and service. It's already over priced and second rate.
Check your car GPS, I think you may have been in a Kroger...

Old 06-17-2017, 09:09 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,051,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Check your car GPS, I think you may have been in a Kroger...
No Krogers in my area. Lots of Safeways though. They're worse than Whole Foods.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:19 AM

9,824 posts, read 7,103,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
How come we can't just go to the grocery store and buy food? Why do we have to go online, order it, and have it delivered? If I want three bananas, an avocado, and a head of lettuce, I want to pick them out for myself. The store is 15 minutes away and easier to get stuff than by sitting at a computer and ordering it, then waiting. I also don't want to order a ton of stuff that I don't even need just to justify the trouble I have to go to placing an order. Don't want delivery fees either. Maybe just driving to the store to get the stuff and then coming back home will be the next trend?

Trader Joe's is good. I'm not going to do Amazon or Walmart instead of going and buying food. It would be good for the very elderly or disabled though.
Who says they are going to "Amazon" Whole Foods? Perhaps Bezos saw a great opportunity to add a profitable brand to the Amazon family. Right now, the plan is to leave management in place and leave it alone. I presume that WF will leverage the Amazon platform to start offering a better online shopping and/or delivery experience. What Amazon is really buying is access to WF customer. The goal is get WF shoppers to use the Amazon platform if they want and hopefully buy even more from them.

Wal-Mart just announced they are buying Bonobos, an upscale seller of high end men's clothing that started online and now has brick and mortar stores. The plan is to leave them alone because $98 chinos aren't what Wal-Mart can sell in it's stores. But WM will use Bonobos to generate growth and profit and to teach it's online businesses (walmart.com, jet.com) what made it successful. WM also added modcloth.com and shoebuy.com for the same reasons.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:56 AM

52,451 posts, read 34,154,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

seconded. I have no interest in getting my groceries online, particularly produce.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:12 AM

9,955 posts, read 15,548,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Who says they are going to "Amazon" Whole Foods? Perhaps Bezos saw a great opportunity to add a profitable brand to the Amazon family. Right now, the plan is to leave management in place and leave it alone. I presume that WF will leverage the Amazon platform to start offering a better online shopping and/or delivery experience. What Amazon is really buying is access to WF customer. The goal is get WF shoppers to use the Amazon platform if they want and hopefully buy even more from them.

Wal-Mart just announced they are buying Bonobos, an upscale seller of high end men's clothing that started online and now has brick and mortar stores. The plan is to leave them alone because $98 chinos aren't what Wal-Mart can sell in it's stores. But WM will use Bonobos to generate growth and profit and to teach it's online businesses (walmart.com, jet.com) what made it successful. WM also added modcloth.com and shoebuy.com for the same reasons.
I wondered why shoebuy changed it's name.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:51 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,867,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
seconded. I have no interest in getting my groceries online, particularly produce.
If the delivery was ultra-quick, prices low, and quality generally high I'd be more than happy to give up choosing individual items, even produce.

Of course, good luck doing "ultra-quick, prices low, and quality generally high" and breaking even, much less turning a profit, but if anyone can pull it off it's Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies