Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 09:56 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,186,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Philando Castile wasn't resisting arrest. He wasn't being arrested. [He was under suspicion of a felony until cleared by the officer]

He was sitting in his own car and was murdered. [NO, he wasn't. Re-read the definition of murder]

He was a legal gun owner exercising his right to carry a firearm. Does the Second Amendment apply to African Americans? [Only if he was one of the free people. But that does not excuse his ignorance of the law.]
Again, ignorance of the law is no defense. When detained on suspicion of a felony, comply with the officer, to speedily clear oneself.
Any action not expressly requested will not be presumed to be benign.
Armed suspects are especially dangerous, and may use subterfuge to gain the advantage and shoot the officer.
Do.Not.Resist.
Submit. Obey. Live.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
He was shot because he could not listen to simple instructions.
Which instructions are those? "Don't have a wide set nose and drive through my patrol area?"

God forbid any of us might not follow a cop's instruction to the letter, or we misunderstand something. Because if that happens in America, you should rightfully be shot to death. Even if you're not a criminal and haven't committed any crime. To boot, having a legal permit to carry a firearm doesn't matter.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:57 PM

26,457 posts, read 15,049,695 times
Quote:
The NRA took a side when they didn't side with a legal gun owner. We already know what side their on.

So from here on out, they'd better not EVER take the side of a legal gun owner over the police. If they do, then we'll all know why they didn't stand behind Castile.
You are being emotional and not thoughtful.

You nor I, truly know if Yanez is telling the truth. Apparently the jury thought there was credence to Yanez' version.

If Yanez is telling the truth, then Castile wasn't acting as a responsible gun owner and put his life in jeopardy with how he acted.

Perhaps Yanez is lying. Like you and me, the NRA doesn't know.

Why as an organization pick a side on a case where you don't know what happened?

P.S. The NRA supports responsible gun ownership - not any legal gun ownership, and they also publicly support law enforcement. I know this isn't about facts, but I do hope to straighten out your argument some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
A jury heard the case and came to the conclusion he was not guilty. Never should have been charged in the first place.
Just because he was found not guilty doesn't necessarily mean that there shouldn't have been a trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
So, investigation was done. Where is the NRA now? I support and have supported the NRA for years. This is the kind of case the NRA should be rallying around. A legal gun owner is shot because a cop panicked even after being told he was carrying and a CCW holder. The NRA's absence in this case has angered many of its members, including me.
So, investigation was done - and if we are honest the evidence is inconclusive as to what really happened.

Hey, southbel, you support both Tom and Tim. Tom says Tim hit him, but Tim says the opposite. That is all we know. I demand you pick a side.

If you want to be mad, be mad. But why pick a side in a case where you don't know what truly happened? Especially as the NRA supports both responsible gun owners and law enforcement?

7,713 posts, read 4,744,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
So that means all the white jurors were racist?
I guess so, as well as two Black racists.

39,194 posts, read 27,570,476 times
I am pro police but I am not so sure about this case..

Police should not be engaging the public as if they are in a combat scenario, in my opinion. I don't think this officer is a cold blooded murderer; nor do I believe Castile deserved to die..

It is so sad..

Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,104 times
Quote:
Which instructions are those? "Don't have a wide set nose and drive through my patrol area?"

God forbid any of us might not follow a cop's instruction to the letter, or we misunderstand something. Because if that happens in America, you should rightfully be shot to death. Even if you're not a criminal and haven't committed any crime. To boot, having a legal permit to carry a firearm doesn't matter.
You're so emotional you can't make any sense right now. You should take the rest of the night off, get some rest & get back at it once you've regained your composure.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
NRA's mission is to advocate for gun rights for law abiding citizens. Not weigh in on court cases. They aren't doing Nancy Grace court case talk shows.

In my view, the cop had reason to suspect the guy was going for his gun.
The NRA wades into and comments on public cases ALL the time. Are you a member? I am and they have releases in cases all of the time in order to show support for law abiding gun owners. Yet they failed this law abiding gun owner who appears to have done all those things suggested when pulled over by LEO (e.g. Inform he is carrying, inform he is licensed to carry, and inform officer of his actions). And he got shot because an officer with either the improper temperament or inadequate training shot him when he panicked. So yeah, the NRA should have stood up for Castile's rights. They did not and several of us members are rightly upset at their lack of doing so.

Seriously, read the NRA blog for a sampling of how much they weigh in on various cases. In short, you're wrong.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:59 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
If I had a gun, I would put it in my glove department or well out of reach if a cop approach my car. I would be worried if it was near me the cop might shoot me.

It sounds like this guy had it sitting on his leg or something.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:00 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The NRA wades into and comments on public cases ALL the time. Are you a member? I am and they have releases in cases all of the time in order to show support for law abiding gun owners. Yet they failed this law abiding gun owner who appears to have done all those things suggested when pulled over by LEO (e.g. Inform he is carrying, inform he is licensed to carry, and inform officer of his actions). And he got shot because an officer with either the improper temperament or inadequate training shot him when he panicked. So yeah, the NRA should have stood up for Castile's rights. They did not and several of us members are rightly upset at their lack of doing so.

Seriously, read the NRA blog for a sampling of how much they weigh in on various cases. In short, you're wrong.
I'm not trying to stir trouble but why do you think the NRA has not come out with a statement?

Old 06-16-2017, 10:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Again, ignorance of the law is no defense. When detained on suspicion of a felony, comply with the officer, to speedily clear oneself.
Any action not expressly requested will not be presumed to be benign.
Armed suspects are especially dangerous, and may use subterfuge to gain the advantage and shoot the officer.
Do.Not.Resist.
Submit. Obey. Live.
What was he a suspect for? He didn't commit any crime. Was he told that he was a suspect in a robbery, or was that something that the officer said AFTER he'd already murdered him?

Ignorance of the law? He didn't break any law except for having a broken tailight! That's now punishable by death in America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.