Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2017, 08:54 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
This department needs blasted for having an officer pull a man over for only matching one characteristic of a suspect.

Most experts say you need to match a "detailed description" of the suspect. Even throwing in skin color isn't enough.
He didn't match. The robbery suspect had a very wide nose and was clean shaven. Castile had a narrow nose (for a black man--no wider than the officers, for that matter) and was bearded.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:55 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times
I'd love to hear from the jurors about HOW they arrived at such a verdict. Blacks have every right to be livid on this one- though I'm not sure how blocking freeways will help matters going forward. Yet so many on social media still crow about how America is STILL the "Greatest nation on earth"!
Not. Even. Close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
There is a great myth among the uneducated that being shot while "unarmed" is somehow the fault of the officer.
Quite the opposite.
In a court of law, one is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
Whereas, when an officer is attempting to take one into custody, there is no presumption of innocence once he RESISTS ARREST..
Has nothing to do with this case. The officer didn't even claim Castile resisted arrest.

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Simpson was rich and famous--a total outlier.
hence...anomoly.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:59 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
What is interesting about this discussion of gun rights and cops is that the pro gun side who make the case that we ultimately need guns to protect us from a tyrannical government are largely also the ones defending the cop shooting an innocent man for not being properly subservient to the authorities.
Prove it.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:01 PM

424 posts, read 236,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
While this is obviously necessary, it's also absurd to expect civilians to be better trained for a traffic stop than the police.
I disagree.

Civilians should be competent enough and have enough common sense to conduct themselves properly in basic situations.

The fact that so many people don't know how to act in this kind of a situation is not the responsibility of the officer.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:07 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
I disagree.

Civilians should be competent enough and have enough common sense to conduct themselves properly in basic situations.

The fact that so many people don't know how to act in this kind of a situation is not the responsibility of the officer.
Do you believe any mistake by a civilian should result in being gunned down? What is an officer makes inaudible command to move, and i just stand because i couldn't understand him. Should i be gunned down? Or what if i notify the officer that i'm legally carrying and he says "give me your identification"...and i reach into my pocket for my id and the officer thinks i'm reaching for a weapon? Should i be gunned down?

Old 06-17-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
I disagree.

When we get down to specific instruction such as "place your hands at 10 and 2, advise the officer exactly where your ID is and ask for permission to reach it," you've gone far beyond "common sense." That's training.

Rather, officers should be explicitly trained in directing civilians (who might be any age, any gender, any nationality, any race, urban or rural, New Yorker or West Virginian).

"Sir, place your hands on the top of the steering wheel, and follow my directions. Do you have your license and registration? Where are they? Keep your left hand on the wheel, reach into your pocket with your right hand."

The point is that the officer should be trained to give instructions that will result in only one acceptable and expected action.

If the officer merely says, "Show me your ID," that might result in any of half a dozen compliant responses from the citizen, such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XFYTtgZAlE

Old 06-17-2017, 09:36 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
It doesn't matter. From what I've noticed, most of the people who insist the cop is guilty do not care about any evidence other than the video that his psychopathic girlfriend took.

I wasted a couple hours debating this with people on the Net last night, and the cop-haters don't care about logic or the facts of the case. Most of them didn't know anything that came out at the hearing, but they insisted that the jury was wrong. Mention that Castile had a gun in his pocket, a loaded gun, and that the officer claimed his hand was on that gun, and they don't care. Everything is irrelevant except for "the video".

This video was not like the Rodney King video. It was taken AFTER the fact, and shows but nobody cares. The fact that the cop was emotional was all they need to convict him.

Try talking about other evidence and witness testimony, and they don't care. They accuse you of being "stupid" or "daft" for wanting to consider any evidence other than "the video" or for arguing that police officers do have a right to self-defense.

If you do not blindly believe that Yanez is a murderer, and he had no right to self-defense, then you are a "racist".

My brother's just as stubborn, but he doesn't accuse me of being a "racist", and he certainly does not "pray" that I am shot to death.

The people who want to see Yanez convicted hate cops so much, that they do not care about any evidence that the jurors had. They automatically believe that the jurors are stupid, for not condemning him even though they had way more information than any of us. You can not change their minds, and it would be a waste of time to bother trying.

Congratulations, you just dumped the biggest load of horse manure yet today on CD.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:39 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Prove it.

Find the 2nd Amendment folks here saying this verdict was a travesty and the cop should have been convicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies