Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 02:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This makes sense. Yanez's narrative was obviously lies and makes no sense. Said he thought Castile was smoking pot (not true). Said Castile looked like someone on the wanted list. All justifications for why he felt scared enough to kill him. I would not have been afraid of Castile, and I'm not even a police officer. How did such a big chicken get onto the police force. It's anyone's guess.

Ditto. Castile came across as pleasant and more than willing to cooperate. I wouldn't have felt threatened, but if I did at some point, I sure as heck wouldn't use the same tone of voice to say, 'Well, don't reach for it. Don't pull it out.' Where was the sense of urgency there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
I think I stated earlier in this thread or in another thread, we all know the police shoots whites too. With that said, whites should be outraged about the police killing their own. But instead, people would rather sacrifice some whites being murdered just to keep the system in place for blacks. It's extremely petty. Like if you know these unarmed white people are being killed youre just okay with it, because you have to maintain you're little petty stances against blacks? Not you personally but...you know. If whites finally let some things go and started a movement to reform the police, blacks would be right there unified with yall on this issue. So until then, that's why is feels a racist. People are willing to let some whites die, just because they don't want the police to stop killing blacks. It's the ultimate form of doing something against you own best interest.

If you can provide real evidence that the reason some, many, whatever qualifier you want to use, white people aren't up in arms about cops killing whites is because they're willing to ignore it simply so they'll continue doing it to black people, I'll believe what you've posted above.

Here's the truth about white people. We're all apathetic about everything. We don't get up in arms about anything. I don't know why that is. I've said jokingly that I swear there's something in the water. Sure, we complain about things, but we don't take action to change anything. The last time white people actually protested was the woman's P march in DC. And before that? Couldn't tell you.

I'll ask you a question I asked Ralph_Kirk, but didn't get a reply. Aren't you at all curious that these latest cases aren't inciting black people to get out into the street to make some noise? Not to do anything destructive, but just to protest?

That's all gone away, hasn't it? Doesn't it make you wonder what was really behind all of the rage in the past two years? Because a group of people so incensed isn't going to be any calmer twelve months and a few more incidents later - they're going to be even angrier.

This silence may mean that the conspiracy theories that were floating around might have truth to them, and it's possible that black people are as apathetic as white people are.

For more than a year we heard nothing but Black Lives Matter, protests, blocked traffic, etc. Since November we hear nothing but Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump.

I feel like we're all just puppets in a really bad play where we're all being used and manipulated every day.

I'd love to see us all unite in order to put an end to both the manipulation, and the business of dirty, bad, trigger-happy cops.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:04 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
I think I stated earlier in this thread or in another thread, we all know the police shoots whites too. With that said, whites should be outraged about the police killing their own. But instead, people would rather sacrifice some whites being murdered just to keep the system in place for blacks. It's extremely petty. Like if you know these unarmed white people are being killed youre just okay with it, because you have to maintain you're little petty stances against blacks? Not you personally but...you know. If whites finally let some things go and started a movement to reform the police, blacks would be right there unified with yall on this issue. So until then, that's why is feels a racist. People are willing to let some whites die, just because they don't want the police to stop killing blacks. It's the ultimate form of doing something against you own best interest.
I think most white people simply have a believe that it will never happen to them--despite evidence to the contrary. It's like the white people on Obamacare voting to do away with Obamacare...they somehow believe nobody is going to take their benefits away.

Then again, you can go on YouTube and find videos of white people arguing and resisting police and getting away with it...so they're not entirely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

I'll ask you a question I asked Ralph_Kirk, but didn't get a reply. Aren't you at all curious that these latest cases aren't inciting black people to get out into the street to make some noise? Not to do anything destructive, but just to protest?

That's all gone away, hasn't it? Doesn't it make you wonder what was really behind all of the rage in the past two years? Because a group of people so incensed isn't going to be any calmer twelve months and a few more incidents later - they're going to be even angrier.

This silence may mean that the conspiracy theories that were floating around might have truth to them, and it's possible that black people are as apathetic as white people are.

For more than a year we heard nothing but Black Lives Matter, protests, blocked traffic, etc. Since November we hear nothing but Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump.

I feel like we're all just puppets in a really bad play where we're all being used and manipulated every day.

I'd love to see us all unite in order to put an end to both the manipulation, and the business of dirty, bad, trigger-happy cops.
Although media might be biased, they also have a basic shark instinct--they will always be attracted by the scent of blood in the water. Right now, they smell blood around Trump, and he does provide such good theater.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:41 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This makes sense. Yanez's narrative was obviously lies and makes no sense. Said he thought Castile was smoking pot (not true). Said Castile looked like someone on the wanted list. All justifications for why he felt scared enough to kill him. I would not have been afraid of Castile, and I'm not even a police officer. How did such a big chicken get onto the police force. It's anyone's guess.
They'll hire and sociopath willing to to take crappy pay as long as they can be offered a pension and a gun. The standards for police aren't very high, and we have a lot to do with that as citizen. Everytime someone come forth and defend cops in case like this one, they're basically giving bad cops a pass.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:07 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,597 times
Quote:

Ill hazard a guess. This silence may mean that the conspiracy theories that were floating around might have truth to them, and it's possible that black people are as apathetic as white people are.
I believe the initial protests years ago were because the easy exposure of police abuse was so new and rampant with cell phones, when it hit the news the outrage was really new....after Rodney King of course.
Then it was constant abuse, for constant protests.
I think now people gave up and are seeing that nothing is changing for the better, so the protests are slowing down. If I didnt find out about overturning Graham vs Connor I would have become fully apathetic as well.

I think the majority of people, no matter the race want to stay in their happy place. They dont want to look like the crazy conspiracy theorist on FB. They want to look at their dopey TV shows, see cats on youtube, and keep on going like nothings going on.

Id also be willing to bet that its frightening at the ignorance of some people that have NO idea how the police can work against them even if they are white. Not to mention Billy Bob in rural Idaho has no idea that the cops in Ferguson are nowhere near like the cops he knows at home. They dont understand the area, and the politics that goes on, and you cant explain it to them because they dont want to hear the reality. They really want to see cops shooting people in the head. Theyre all children. Its like trying to tell a religious nut that theres no God.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:37 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post

Id also be willing to bet that its frightening at the ignorance of some people that have NO idea how the police can work against them even if they are white. Not to mention Billy Bob in rural Idaho has no idea that the cops in Ferguson are nowhere near like the cops he knows at home. They dont understand the area, and the politics that goes on, and you cant explain it to them because they dont want to hear the reality. They really want to see cops shooting people in the head. Theyre all children. Its like trying to tell a religious nut that theres no God.
I'm white and I think it's crazy for other whites to think they can't be victims of police violence even if they aren't breaking laws - or doing anything at all.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:09 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
Quote:
Ditto. Castile came across as pleasant and more than willing to cooperate. I wouldn't have felt threatened, but if I did at some point, I sure as heck wouldn't use the same tone of voice to say, 'Well, don't reach for it. Don't pull it out.' Where was the sense of urgency there?

If you can provide real evidence that the reason some, many, whatever qualifier you want to use, white people aren't up in arms about cops killing whites is because they're willing to ignore it simply so they'll continue doing it to black people, I'll believe what you've posted above.

Here's the truth about white people. We're all apathetic about everything. We don't get up in arms about anything. I don't know why that is. I've said jokingly that I swear there's something in the water. Sure, we complain about things, but we don't take action to change anything. The last time white people actually protested was the woman's P march in DC. And before that? Couldn't tell you.

The reason for the demonstrative outrage a couple years ago was because the pile of videos had just begun. And sometimes the stars can align and cause a spark. In Ferguson that spark happened the night the Ferguson PD showed up to that candle light vigil to call these people animals...it was just arrogance by the police and people started officially taking sides. I'll stop there because, I'm on a tangent.

Why the riots and protest have calmed down? Because nothing is working. Even with video of a guy running away getting shot in the back...still no conviction. The system is THAT strong and the system does not lose steam but people do. The only thing being accomplished is more arrests. And the police are just way too militarized to even risk marching down the street with a paper sign.

Anyways, you asked for evidence of whites being petty about it...the evidence is that the vast majority of them only bring up white police shootings to try and attempt to shut blacks up about black shooting. They'll never address white civilians being shot by police otherwise. It's just a tool to argue. It's extremely petty. They should be outraged about this. Blacks are looking at a Philando and saying "that could easily be me...I should be concerned"...whites don't think it will ever happen to them, but the numbers shows it's already happening. But head in sand.

But yeah at the end of the day, the majority of blacks want police reform, not revenge. They want to see cops going the conflict resolution training and not combat training.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think most white people simply have a believe that it will never happen to them--despite evidence to the contrary. It's like the white people on Obamacare voting to do away with Obamacare...they somehow believe nobody is going to take their benefits away.

Then again, you can go on YouTube and find videos of white people arguing and resisting police and getting away with it...so they're not entirely wrong.

Although media might be biased, they also have a basic shark instinct--they will always be attracted by the scent of blood in the water. Right now, they smell blood around Trump, and he does provide such good theater.
I'm not saying the media isn't covering it, I'm saying there's nothing to cover because nobody is protesting. But see additional remarks below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I believe the initial protests years ago were because the easy exposure of police abuse was so new and rampant with cell phones, when it hit the news the outrage was really new....after Rodney King of course.
Then it was constant abuse, for constant protests.
I think now people gave up and are seeing that nothing is changing for the better, so the protests are slowing down. If I didnt find out about overturning Graham vs Connor I would have become fully apathetic as well.

I think the majority of people, no matter the race want to stay in their happy place. They dont want to look like the crazy conspiracy theorist on FB. They want to look at their dopey TV shows, see cats on youtube, and keep on going like nothings going on.

Okay, you and 8won6 make a good point in saying the initial shock has worn off and people have moved on. But each time something like this happens, it IS shocking to a lot of people.

I grew up in a big, corrupt city, so we grew up knowing that at any time we could be stopped and a cop could go through our car and plant something there. I knew some naive people who thought cops never did such things, but we heard about bad cops all the time.

I also had a mother strongly committed to hating cops because of a horrific event she witnessed as a child that she said never completely left her. And she had no problem telling us in graphic terms what she had seen, so there was some bias passed down.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
The reason for the demonstrative outrage a couple years ago was because the pile of videos had just begun. And sometimes the stars can align and cause a spark. In Ferguson that spark happened the night the Ferguson PD showed up to that candle light vigil to call these people animals...it was just arrogance by the police and people started officially taking sides. I'll stop there because, I'm on a tangent.

Why the riots and protest have calmed down? Because nothing is working. Even with video of a guy running away getting shot in the back...still no conviction. The system is THAT strong and the system does not lose steam but people do. The only thing being accomplished is more arrests. And the police are just way too militarized to even risk marching down the street with a paper sign.

Anyways, you asked for evidence of whites being petty about it...the evidence is that the vast majority of them only bring up white police shootings to try and attempt to shut blacks up about black shooting. They'll never address white civilians being shot by police otherwise. It's just a tool to argue. It's extremely petty. They should be outraged about this. Blacks are looking at a Philando and saying "that could easily be me...I should be concerned"...whites don't think it will ever happen to them, but the numbers shows it's already happening. But head in sand.

But yeah at the end of the day, the majority of blacks want police reform, not revenge. They want to see cops going the conflict resolution training and not combat training.
Okay, so I get the first part of what you posted and I guess I can see that. If people have given up, I get it.

As for the last part of what you wrote, here are the dynamics as I see them, and I'll use you and I in my examples. When you use absolutes like never and always - you're going to get pushback. So when you or someone else posts, 'this only happens to black people', even though I'm wholly on board with you and agree with everything else you've posted in regard to Castille, I'm going to post that white males are unfairly shot by cops, too. It's not meant to be petty - and it isn't petty. I'm simply correcting an incorrect statement.

And here is MY proof about what I just wrote. I posted how upset this case has made me. I've consistently stated my thoughts and everyone who read through the thread knew I was pro-Castile. Then I saw a post that said something like this only happens to black males, and I pushed back. Then I went back to my rant with people who were siding with Yanez. So I wasn't trying to shut anyone up, I was trying to correct an inaccuracy.

Ralph_Kirk just posted that there are videos on youtube where white males are resisting arrest and getting away with it. He's not going to get pushback on that statement for two reasons. First, it's true, and second, he didn't say, 'white males resist arrest and always get away with it.' He didn't use any absolutes when making an accurate statement. He posts in a fair and reasoned manner and doesn't let his emotions cloud the truth.

If you want to make the case that black males are shot at a higher rate than white males, there is provable evidence that this is true, and makes many of us sympathetic to the plight. If you're going to post that it's always black males getting shot, or only black males being shot by police, you're making untrue statements and losing people who are sympathetic to this case.

Also, I want to point out that some people here avoid threads like this because it can bring out racists on both sides. It's uncomfortable and ugly and people just want to avoid the whole mess, so they don't weigh in. So if you're looking at some people not weighing in, it's not necessarily because they don't care, it's sometimes because they'd rather avoid the whole race thing that these threads often become.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:37 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,597 times
Quote:
, I'm going to post that white males are unfairly shot by cops, too. It's not meant to be petty - and it isn't petty. I'm simply correcting an incorrect statement.

Ralph_Kirk just posted that there are videos on youtube where white males are resisting arrest and getting away with it. He's not going to get pushback on that statement for two reasons. First, it's true, and second, he didn't say, 'white males resist arrest and always get away with it.' He didn't use any absolutes when making an accurate statement. He posts in a fair and reasoned manner and doesn't let his emotions cloud the truth.

Also, I want to point out that some people here avoid threads like this because it can bring out racists on both sides. It's uncomfortable and ugly and people just want to avoid the whole mess, so they don't weigh in. So if you're looking at some people not weighing in, it's not necessarily because they don't care, it's sometimes because they'd rather avoid the whole race thing that these threads often become.
Its absolutely true, and thats why when I post, I try to remember that this has always been happening to whites as well, but the media doesnt cover it, which furthers the division.

I dont even care about white people that get away with pointing guns at cops, resisting, whatever, We know who the cops give more lienency to. My main point is, in the cases that white were brutalized or killed by police, it was unnecessary shoots, and I wish BLM would cover all the stories, and not just the black males. I agree that would unify people more, so that they dont have to use race as a petty and alienating argument against police brutality. We need to show the high amount of brutality and deaths, not only half of it because of race. At this point, race isnt in the laws, so I dont think that will help the cause for changing the laws, and changing the laws is the only thing that will end this, or at least slow it down significantly.

Where my white people at?!?

Old 06-23-2017, 07:49 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
Quote:
Okay, so I get the first part of what you posted and I guess I can see that. If people have given up, I get it.

As for the last part of what you wrote, here are the dynamics as I see them, and I'll use you and I in my examples. When you use absolutes like never and always - you're going to get pushback. So when you or someone else posts, 'this only happens to black people', even though I'm wholly on board with you and agree with everything else you've posted in regard to Castille, I'm going to post that white males are unfairly shot by cops, too. It's not meant to be petty - and it isn't petty. I'm simply correcting an incorrect statement.

And here is MY proof about what I just wrote. I posted how upset this case has made me. I've consistently stated my thoughts and everyone who read through the thread knew I was pro-Castile. Then I saw a post that said something like this only happens to black males, and I pushed back. Then I went back to my rant with people who were siding with Yanez. So I wasn't trying to shut anyone up, I was trying to correct an inaccuracy.

If you want to make the case that black males are shot at a higher rate than white males, there is provable evidence that this is true, and makes many of us sympathetic to the plight. If you're going to post that it's always black males getting shot, or only black males being shot by police, you're making untrue statements and losing people who are sympathetic to this case.

-now your talking about semantics. My points are always extremely clear and concise. You've jumped into how I post.
-I've already acknowledged that whites get shot as well, were have I said "only blacks get shot by police". You're strawmanning as well.
-Whenever people start talking about "both sides are racist"...I have my answer. At that point, you know what I'm saying has validity but like usual people just can't even admit certain things in regards to blacks and whites (in general...there are always exceptions). But yeah, when people start with "both sides"...I know what's up and you do to.
-also, don't expect me to argue to make people feel better. It's silly to even say "it's uncomfortable...people just want to avoid the whole mess".

again, when unarmed whites get killed there is no outrage because people want to keep this crap in place for blacks. They accept a few sacrifices and put their heads in the sand. People get more outraged over being patted down by a TSA agent than an unarmed white person being gunned down by police. Hell, people showed my outrage for an athlete kneeling to a cloth than seeing an unarmed white person being shot by police. It's petty. And I'll repeat if whites wanted to reform the police, blacks would be right there unified saying "let's do this."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies