Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2017, 05:25 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,101,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not sure what the confusion is about regarding the rank-position thing. The chain-of-command is very clear for US ships, rank sometimes, but not always, correlates to that chain. In this case, both CO and XO or O5, but it is very clear who the CO is.

Most ships have an O5 as the CO. The XO usually comes aboard as an O4, but often their advancement to O5 comes while in this position. The O5 CO will usually come directly from an XO billet, or come from a shore billet having been a previous XO.

For O6 commands, I can only off the top of my head remember carriers and SSGNs having an O6 as the CO. Not sure about cariers, but the SSGN COs already had a previous at-sea command as an O5.

Only going off what I have read, the CO and OOD are done. As for being reduced in rank, that will be dependent on the level of negligence, if any, involved. Who every else will be determined after the investigation.
Don't cruisers also have an O6 as CO? Battleships (back when they were still in commission) also had an O6 as CO ... actually I think most Navy ships had O6's as COs until fairly recently ... nowadays (as you said) it's an O5 slot for most vessels. I think the Cyclone class patrol ships have O4's as COs though.

One more thing, even if radar systems were down wouldn't they still have had actual watchstanders with binoculars? Surely they would have seen this freighter coming at them ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 05:28 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,745,177 times
Just curious, did anyone think about the SS Edmund Fitzgerald (1975), when they heard to news about the USS Fitzgerald? I know I did. Both terrible tragedies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald Although Fitzgerald had reported being in difficulty earlier, no distress signals were sent before she sank; Captain McSorley's last message to Anderson said, "We are holding our own." Her crew of 29 perished, and no bodies were recovered. The exact cause of the sinking remains unknown, though many books, studies, and expeditions have examined it. Fitzgerald might have fallen victim to the high waves of the storm, suffered structural failure, been swamped with water entering through her cargo hatches or deck, experienced topside damage, or shoaled in a shallow part of Lake Superior.

Also: Thank you guys for explaining (in detail) about this recent tragedy. I hope they find the 7 men and that they are okay.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Don't cruisers also have an O6 as CO? Battleships (back when they were still in commission) also had an O6 as CO ... actually I think most Navy ships had O6's as COs until fairly recently ... nowadays (as you said) it's an O5 slot for most vessels. I think the Cyclone class patrol ships have O4's as COs though.

One more thing, even if radar systems were down wouldn't they still have had actual watchstanders with binoculars? Surely they would have seen this freighter coming at them ...
Yes, cruisers have an O6 as the CO, forgot about them.

They did away with O6 as a CO billet over time, when I got to the SSBN fleet in the 90's, they already started having O5 as the CO when it was an O6 throughout the 80's. But SSGNs have an O6; do not know if it is designated, or it happens to be for people who have already had an at-sea command, who most likely would be an O6 when returning to sea.

The DD and any ship can navigate with aid of equipment. Unless there was reduced visibility, which seems this was not the case, they had to be visually aware of the cargo ship, and can navigate off of just this if they needed to.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:34 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
"7 missing in USS Fitzgerald collision off Japan"

It's not looking so hot, guess we can hope for a miracle. Their families must be going through hell right now, I feel bad for them.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:53 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,805,770 times
My son says he is pretty sure the berthing compartments being referred to in the news are in that collision area below the waterline. One is the female berthing and one is the forward berthing. At 2:30 AM most would be in their bunks in these spaces. This is so sad and I am praying for the families of these missing sailors.

Last edited by redwood66; 06-17-2017 at 07:01 PM..

Old 06-17-2017, 08:50 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Found.
Drowned

https://news.google.com/news/amp?cau...tml#pt0-626068

Old 06-17-2017, 09:07 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,457,152 times
Note the underwater protruding bulbous bow on the container ship. That could have done much below-the-waterline damage.

https://cdn.saleminteractivemedia.co...1b786080f0.jpg

Old 06-17-2017, 09:13 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,797,954 times
Updated link page moved:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...b98_story.html

The dead were found in sleeping area.

My condolences.

As the captain of a vessel that always sails with crew, nothing scares me more than having to answer to the spouses, children, and parents of those aboard my vessel.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:05 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
The bodies of seven U.S. sailors missing after a Navy destroyer collided with a container ship off Japan were found in flooded berthing compartments, a defense official said.
Bodies of 7 Missing U.S. Sailors Found in Destroyer Damaged in Collision - NBC News

Old 06-18-2017, 03:25 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,745,177 times
So very sad. May they RIP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies