Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 03:30 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I hate the class warfare garbage. People are jealous. Be concerned about what you have and don't worry about other people. I think every person from the poorest to the richest should have the same exact tax rate. If you feel you are entitled to someone else money you are nothing more than a thief!!

I think every American should be entitled to the same exact property rights. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 03:33 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Market prices are inflated by restrictive zoning policies.
Homeowners' housing costs are impacted by zoning policies, as well. Moot point.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the poorly educated, the lazy, those without drive, should not expect to have much you have exactly what you deserve.

Should a slacker who inherits without working have more than a minimum wage worker?

Old 06-22-2017, 03:37 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
I am sure many are sick and tired of all these million/billionaires hogging all the money spending it on frivolous things rather than helping poor people. Hypothetically let's say every person that has millions/billions were forced to distribute all their money to the poor and social programs, how would you feel?
I would say it's my money, keep your paws off of it.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Homeowners housing costs are impacted by zoning policies, as well. Moot point.

Nope, fixed P&I payments are NOT impacted by zoning practices, nor are taxes in California (Prop 13).

Zoning is DESIGNED to benefit property owners without regard for anyone else. Zoning redistributes income upward generally from renters to owners. ("Generally" because homeowners are not universally more affluent than renters - only generally so.)

Old 06-22-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Nope, fixed P&I payments are NOT impacted by zoning practices, nor are taxes in California (Prop 13).
Absolutely, zoning laws do indeed impact homeowners' housing costs. Can't have a home on less than a 1/4 acre lot, for example? That increases the homeowners' housing cost.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'd feel the same as if the state were confiscating all private property.

At that point, a revolution would be necessary.

Because the Constitution does not protect from infringement the right to acquire property, millions of Americans are unable to acquire property - unable to retain their own wealth. I feel the same as if the state were confiscating all private property of rent serfs.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Absolutely, zoning laws do indeed impact homeowners' housing costs. Can't have a home on less than a 1/4 acre lot, for example? That increases the homeowners' housing cost.

Well I've been complaining about PRECISELY that! But in the long term, the government-imposed "costs" (e.g. marginal entry costs) are recouped by successful homebuyers and A TOTAL LOSS to unsuccessful rent serfs.

Any unrecouped marginal cost to homebuyers is the result of a collective decision by incumbent homeowners to impose said costs on newcomers while exempting themselves. (But the expectation is that all buyers will in the long term become better off than if they had never bought.) Hey, that sounds a lot like Prop 13.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Oh lookie here ...a believer in the BIG PIE theory of wealth.

There isn't some "big pie!" Wealth is created! Nobody is "hogging all the money!"

Get an education!

The traditional residential landlord-tenant relationship is a zero-sum transaction. A's wealth is derived from B's inability to retain his own wealth.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Well I've been complaining about PRECISELY that! But in the long term, the government-imposed "costs" (e.g. marginal entry costs) are recouped by successful homebuyers and A TOTAL LOSS to unsuccessful rent serfs.
Renting is a CHOICE. If you feel renting isn't in your own best interest, then BUY a home.

The same concept applies to renting anything... hotel room, car, power tools/equipment, etc. The cost to a renter is going to be higher per unit of use than it will be to a buyer. You're paying for the convenience of use on short-term demand instead of ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies