Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 02:05 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Cambridge University examiners are told to avoid using words like “flair”, “brilliance” and “genius” when assessing students’ work because they are associated with men, an academic has revealed.Lucy Delap, a lecturer in British history at Cambridge University, said that History tutors are discouraged from using these terms because they “carry assumptions of gender inequality”.
“Some of those words, in particular genius, have a very long intellectual history where it has long been associated with qualities culturally assumed to be male”, she said.
Don't call students 'genius' because word is associated with men, Cambridge lecturers told

If there's no such thing as a genius then there can't be more male geniuses than women. Brilliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 02:11 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
I wonder how many people have actually taken a S-B IQ test?

Using phrases that might be gender insensitive has nothing to do with whether of not there are people who score above genius level, men or women.

Not that I agree with this particular lecturer. Plus, who ever wrote this article got the title wrong.

S/B ... Cambridge Examiners told

Old 06-19-2017, 04:34 AM

27,140 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Let them all swirl around in their politically correct world, whilst I and others ROFL.

I tell you whats a really good idea, blacking up and pretending to be Beyone, that always goes down well with left wing liberal students, what could possible go wrong.

Beyonce tribute singer who ‘blacked up’ at a Cambridge University Ball sparks outrage from students and forces college to apologise

Bahar Mustafa a student dversity officer at Goldsmith College in London, is a particuarly disgusting example of this species of 'feminazi'. I think most men are relieved she hates them, I mean who would want to be seen with that ugly munter. Apparently Mustafa can not be racist or sexist herslf because she is an ethnic minority woman, however this doesn't stop her from attacking others.

Bahar Mustafa: Student officer who allegedly posted 'kill all white men' to face malicious communications charges | The Independent

Bahar Mustafa should be removed from Goldsmiths University in all aspects with police interaction and degree revocation - Change.Org

#killallwhitemen row: charges dropped against student diversity officer - Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-19-2017 at 05:10 AM..

Old 06-19-2017, 05:07 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Genius is not a word I think of much any more when hearing the word university.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:25 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
I agree completely that conservatives should shun higher education and raise their children to despise it. Make sure you let your children in on your views. Stand your ground!

Old 06-19-2017, 06:01 AM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
What nonsense. I have never associated those words exclusively with men. But even if they were, here's a novel idea: instead of avoiding using those words, start using them to refer to women's work as well.

It"s insulting frankly, to insinuate that women are so fragile that two or three innocuous words are going to stand in the way of them getting a first class degree.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:48 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Studies of IQ patterns have shown that it is true that there are more male geniuses.

Men have more "extreme" IQ situations than women, who tend to cluster at the median.

That explains why historically you find so many more male geniuses.... but also so many more complete idiots who are male.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I wonder how many people have actually taken a S-B IQ test?

I don't know about the S-B IQ test but with the garbage of ideas coming out of today's universities it seems they have all passed the B-S test.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:19 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Don't call students 'genius' because word is associated with men, Cambridge lecturers told

If there's no such thing as a genius then there can't be more male geniuses than women. Brilliant.
If true, that's pretty crazy. Marie Curie and a lot of other women have always been called geniuses all my life.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Also related:coyote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies