Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 05:07 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
Why is it NOT a race? Because you say so? It seems funny, when it convenient for caucasians, we are white, and we are not, we are hispanic or latino.0-4

Also, Native Americans have their own box, so people from Mexico and Latin America were also Indian before Spain came over. I have seen several people do DNA test, most are between 30-60% native american indian, however, they are not allowed to pick native american I guess because they are only 30-40% european?? that doesnt make sense. the rest of the percentages are from other places. It just doesn't make sense.

Should have told people's ancestors that. Considering that Texas, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona were part of Mexico, we are sticking to our nation. That's like me telling you to stick back to whatever european nation that you are from.

So what you are saying is that Native American, Asians, and Middle Eastern's people don't exist?
MOST Argentine people are "white" if talking race.

MOST Dominicans are "Black".

MOST Mexicans and people from Central Americans are Indian or mixed.

ALL are "Hispanics" ^^^

Mexico lost the 1848 war. Period. Tho I'm real sorry the US didn't take ALL of Mexico back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 05:10 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Bah. First world problems.

There are only four races of humans identified by science:

Caucasoid
Negroid
Mongoloid
Australoid.

You don't get to just make one up cupcake.
Best and most accurate post yet. Thank you for telling the truth. Too many people like to think they are one thing or another thing while making things up along the way to fit a political agenda either to the right or to the left. You're one of these four, or you're a mixed race. It's pretty simple.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:41 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
In America, where races can own culture - so long as they are a minority - it is important to point out that white people can't wear certain things or my snowflake will melt.

Campus-Wide Email Tells White Girls to Stop Wearing Hoop Earrings Because It
Black women stop straightening their hair.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:15 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Black women stop straightening their hair.
We have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHXITN_Tah4

Old 06-20-2017, 06:25 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Those 4 races are used with caution though. Not enough genetic difference is present between any groupings to constitute a taxonomic classification of "race".
Lots of people like to say this because it's PC but... No. There is no set definition of race in science that requires more genetic distinction than is actually present. In the modern scientific sense, races are simply gene clusters. And we know, beyond any question, that these gene clusters exist. The four large groups traditionally called races qualify as gene clusters, as do many smaller groups.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:33 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210;
Should have told people's ancestors that. Considering that Texas, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona were part of Mexico, we are sticking to our nation. That's like me telling you to stick back to whatever european nation that you are from.
I don't know how many times I have to repeat this.

The land is not "yours"... it isn't YOUR nation, you Aztlan fantasist. "It" belonged to the north American native Americans first. The same ones who fought AGAINST Mexicans and Spaniards and Anglos for centuries.

Then the SPANISH came along and made a sweeping claim to the land. These claims sometimes conflicted with the claims of other European powers, such as France, England and Russia. But, Spain was a powerful empire, and could fend off claims from others. But, they actually had very little "people" presence in the northern territories north of the Rio Grande.

And again, they were actually SPANISH. Not whatever mixture you are that makes you think you're a new race, but SPANISH. If I want to find people who might ACTUALLY have a better claim to the American southwest, I'll have to go to Polanco or La Condesa in the capital. Not some peasant farm in Chiapas.

When Mexico gained its independence, it was weak and couldn't hold onto its territories. It held on to SPAIN'S old claims north of the Rio Grande for just TWENTY FOUR years. That's it. Then the US took it by force. Just as Mexico took it by force. Just as Spain before it took it by force. And if you ever want to be thankful for THAT, just take a look at border towns sitting literally right next to one another, and compare the poor way Mexicans govern things vs. Anglo efficiency.

Now, when the border changed, the Spanish-Mexican settlers who were present north of the Rio Grande became Americans, and have been on soil that has belonged to the United States for 7X longer than it belonged to Mexico.

Meanwhile, the French moved into Mexico just a few years later and held power for a number of years. I suppose by your logic, the French can claim Mexican lands they lost (btw, pressure from the USA helped end French occupation of Mexico. Read your history. See the monuments erected in CDMX to commemorate this one-sided "friendship").

So, unless you are one of the NINE percent of Mexican-Spanish descent people who can trace their lineage to the original settlers north of the Rio Grande, then this is NOT your land. Anymore than Guatemalans can claim to be in "their country" when they are in Quintana Roo.

Sorry to burst your silly little bubble. I'm sorry they didn't teach you this in whatever Mexican school you apparently went to that would rather peddle fantasy history than do anything to actually bring "your country" into the 21st century instead of being the slowest kid on the north American continent.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:38 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Y todos los Dominicanos dicen "Yo no soy negro"
Lol Dominicans we're always a funny bunch to me because of that

Old 06-20-2017, 06:44 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Blame George W. Bush and his Mexican "race" comments?
Cut Bush some slack. He found his way out of his bed that morning.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:51 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I only mentioned cornrows because it was mentioned in the post I was replying to. I know the Latinx girls were the ones claiming hoop earrings. It's just weird to me that these kids smart enough to get into college are saying stuff like this. It's like they sit around and think of anything and everything as some sort of racial grievance. Is that what college studies classes are teaching them? Can't we all just get along?

American culture is unique in the world for being a mix of multiple cultures. It is what makes it a special place, and why people from all different cultures find success here. I wish that was what they would learn in college instead.

Can we stop normalizing "LatinX"?

In Latin languages, the term is LatinO and LatinA. There is no gender-oppression going on when you refer to a plural of Latin people as LatinOs. That's just SJW nonsense.

These complaining girls are LatinAs.

For people who like to say their culture is being appropriated they need to start respecting their own.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:51 PM

1,378 posts, read 736,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Those 4 races are used with caution though. Not enough genetic difference is present between any groupings to constitute a taxonomic classification of "race".

Race as you've presented it is a social construct.
So if it is a social construct, then technically hispanic could be a race? depending on who you talk to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
She still doesn't get to make up a race called Hispanic. That is not a race. It is an ethnicity whether miss fashion police likes it or not.
She didn't "make it up" The US started using it in the 70s.

"This distinctive view of race is consistent across demographic subgroups of Latino adults. For example, 69% of young Latino adults ages 18 to 29 say their Latino background is part of their racial background, as does a similar share of those in other age groups, including those 65 and older. Similar views are held among Hispanics who use Spanish as their main language (67%) and those who use English as their main language (66%).

Preliminary results from some experiments using the combined question show that when Hispanic origin is integrated into the race question, a large majority of Latinos (81% on average) mark just the Hispanic box and no other race category."

Is being Hispanic a matter of race, ethnicity or both? | Pew Research Center

And there you go, this link explains everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Your outrage is comical because you're confused. The Office of Management and Budget asks about race and ethnicity in the census.

They ask about a persons race.

Then they move on to inquire about ethnicity and ask something like, 'Are you of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin?'

The answer is either no, or yes, Mexican American or Chicano, or Yes, Puerto Rican, etc.

The 2010 census even included a line stating that Hispanic origins are not races.

Words are important. Look up the definition of both race and ethnicity so you have a clearer understanding of them.
You would do well by reading that link too, you might learn something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies