Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 10:35 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
And i'll say it again, people do care about appropriation, just not enough to always say it out loud. A lot people, even on these forums are not going to admit it because they don't want to be called snowflakes which doesn't bother me. I think it's silly when blacks appropriate as well.
"Cultural appropriation" applied to things like food and fashion is generally silly and ultimately unwise.

Half the time it's applied spuriously and ignorantly--such as the case of hoop earrings, which were "discovered" by a good many cultures around the world over the course of human history.

Sometimes, charges of cultural appropriation are well-founded. I first heard of the term in connection with white companies that were mass producing "genuine Navajo turquoise jewelry." The genuine Navajo Indians objected to that in court--and they certainly had a point.

Another well-founded charge would have been white record companies that covered black R&B songs by white artists and presented it as their own.

Sometimes cultures abandon their own items that are subsequently picked up by other cultures. The fact is that if not for white people, jazz music would be dead; jitterbug and tap dancing would be dead. There is not enough support of those forms of black-originated art among blacks alone to keep them alive.

The only reason black women in the Air Force are allowed to cornrow their hair now (it was strictly prohibited in the 80s) is because cornrowing has been broadly enough adopted that it's no longer considered an "extreme" hairstyle. If it were considered unique to a particular culture, the Air Force could never approve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 11:51 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
And i'll say it again, people do care about appropriation, just not enough to always say it out loud. A lot people, even on these forums are not going to admit it because they don't want to be called snowflakes which doesn't bother me. I think it's silly when blacks appropriate as well.
I could understand you wanting to emphasize that some people feel that way.

I'm just looking at it from the other direction. I wonder if some people don't realize how important these fashions and things gained through "cultural appropriation" can be to some people.

If a type of fashion is both important to the "cultural appropriator" and the person whose culture that sort of fashion originally belonged to, I don't know why only what is important to the person whose culture has been appropriated should count, particularly when cultural appropriation is only harming people in a potential abstract way.

If we're talking about turning ancient ceremonies into beer-drinking festivals, I'd be a little more understanding, but even with those ancient ceremonies turned into beer drinking festivals, people probably get a lot of fun out of those beer-drinking festivals.

I look at it like there are a very small number of cultures that are so long-standing that they have aspects that are so unique to them that there's not much reason for other groups to adopt their traditions. As for all the rest of us, we're just born into the melting pot and if we try to carve out our unique cultural identity, we should be careful not to step on the toes of our fellow melting-potters, because it could be very easy to take things away from them that are very important to them, and horde valuable behavioral commodities that aren't really ours, that we'll probably forget about in a decade anyway.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:04 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
Actually that is incorrect, those lands did belong first to Spain and then became Mexicos when they declared their independence.

Hate to burst your bubble, but i went to an American school, not some rural backwards school that obviously didnt teach History right like yours did.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Spain

Took me two seconds to find this, what a shame. Read that and learn something.

How is that ANYTHING different than what I said? I SPECIFICALLY set out the progress of landownership is as follows:

1) Nobody
2) Native Americans (not Aztecs, Maya or traditional Mexican-associated natives)
3) Spain
4) Mexico
5) United States

From #3 - #5, the land ownership passed through force/conquer. Between #4 and #5, a treaty and money was paid. Ergo, Mexico GAVE UP its right to control the land. Lucky for everyone in CA, AZ, NM and TX, eh? Otherwise San Diego would look like Tijuana - a place to watch women **** donkeys and get cheap medicine and booze.

The point is that if you are a MEXICAN, the land that makes up the American SW is NOT Mexico, and was ONLY belonged to an independent Mexico for like 25 years. In the chain of ownership, it is a blip. Therefore it is not "your country" (Mexico). Comprende? Especially if you're trying to discount your Spanish roots. Spanish descent people ran New Spain.

I never understood the Mexican obsession with Aztlan fantasies. If you can't control the large territories and care for the population of Mexico that already exists... why in the hell do you think you are entitled to more? Because the Anglos made it pretty and operational for you and you want to "plug and play" with something someone else built?

"New Spain," btw, also included the Philippines. You don't get a colonial era pass to settle in Manila as "your country!" Whatever school you went to - in the US or Mexico - hopefully it was free and not private. Otherwise, demand a refund.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:16 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
““[T]he art was created by myself and a few other WOC [women of color] after being tired and annoyed with the reoccuring [sic] theme of white women appropriating styles … that belong to the black and brown folks who created the culture,” Martinez wrote. Martinez explained that “[t]he black and brown bodies who typically wear hooped earrings, (and other accessories like winged eyeliner, gold name plate necklaces, etc) are typically viewed as ghetto, and are not taken seriously by others in their daily lives,” and that she sees “winged eyeliner, lined lips, and big hoop earrings … as symbols [and] as an everyday act of resistance, especially here at the Claremont Colleges.”

Read more at: Campus-Wide Email Tells White Girls to Stop Wearing Hoop Earrings Because It

Really? Seriously?

Ms Martinez: maybe YOU need to to "lose" your Hispanic culture since it's also Spanish and, MOST Spanish people are "white". Too; IF you're so damn proud about being "brown", which ain't a race, maybe YOUR kind need to start IDing as some kind of "Indian" or maybe "Black" since many Latinos ARE mixed.
I don't have a problem with white folks wearing stuff or doing stuff that emanates from our culture. What I have a problem with is with white folks getting the credit for it. I mean....like corn rows and Bo Derrick back in the day. Black folks "been" wearing corn rows but as soon as Bo Derrick wore them in the movie "10" running down the beach in her bathing suit, its like she brought out the style. Some whites, seeing blacks in corn rows, would even comment that they were wearing a "Bo Derrick".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8TUWilKb6M

Old 06-21-2017, 01:32 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
How Latinas think hoop earrings are off limits to white folks is ludicrous. The fact that they spray painted the dormitory wall with a racist remark is reprehensible. I shudder to think what is coming out of our colleges today.
I'd die laughing IF some "Latina" TRIED that against a blond blue eyed pasty skin Spanish woman, especially if our Spaniard told our Latina to "F off" IN Spanish.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:35 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
White girls wear whatever you like. No one cares.
evidently progressives do in fact "care"

so long as what you mean by the word "care" is use something as a way to subjugate non-progressives.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Black people came up with it. Play the blues would have been a better example.
Lol...come on man! You can't actually PLAY the blues!

Old 06-21-2017, 02:37 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Believe me, white women who wear cornrows would be considered unprofessional too. In fact, I personally would consider a black woman wearing cornrows as far more professional than a white woman wearing them. I think it looks better on black people than it does on white people.

As for hoop earrings, what are they talking about? There is no way she and a few of her WOC invented hoop earrings. They have existed in cultures for thousands of years, and started in what is now known as Iraq. The Greeks and Romans wore them. Pirates wore them. My mother wore them in the '70s. Women have been wearing them forever, in all cultures. It's ridiculous to claim white women are not allowed to wear them.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.abc10...olor/422942293
Personally, I'd prefer if no woman of any race wore cornrows. It looks ridiculous in my opinion. Just my perspective as a Black man.

I'm not a fan of hoop earrings, no matter where they came from. Of course I hate navel, nose, and tongue piercing, but that is another matter.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:40 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Personally, I'd prefer if no woman of any race wore cornrows. It looks ridiculous in my opinion. Just my perspective as a Black man.
They are a quite effective manner of managing long hair under a military helmet in the field.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:19 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not a soul.
the people that do care are soulless?
that may be true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies