Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
john mccain's son is fighting in iraq, so maybe you need to do a little more research before you post. al qaeda was in iraq before we invaded it, as previously identified in posts with some further delineation quoted here.

On November 9, 2002, a London Times article by Roger Boyes and Daniel McGrory, citing Hans-Josef Beth of the German secret service BND, claimed that Zarqawi “used London as his base until Osama bin Laden ordered him to move to Afghanistan in 2000 to run one of al-Qaeda’s training camps.”
On December 18, 2002, after the arrests of several terror suspects in France amid fears of a chemical weapon attack, Sebastian Rotella of the Los Angeles Times reported that “A top Al Qaeda suspect said to be commanding a campaign targeting Europe is Abu Musab Zarqawi, a Jordanian reputedly knowledgeable about chemical warfare, according to German and Italian intelligence officials.”
On December 19, 2002, Knight Ridder’s Soraya Sarhaddi Nelson reported, citing Jordanian Prime Minister Ali Abu al Ragheb, that Zarqawi was behind the murder of American diplomat Lawrence Foley, and was believed to be “an ally of al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.” Ragheb further contended that Zarqawi “was probably in northern Iraq working with Ansar al-Islam, a Kurdish Muslim extremist group.” Jordanian officials were also cited as claiming that the men suspected of carrying out Foley’s murder met Zarqawi “in Al-Qaeda training camps in Afghanistan.”
I see virtually nothing in your post about al Qaeda being in Iraq before we invaded. Someone, somewhere said ONE GUY was in northern Iraq ONCE. Is that the point you were making? Because I think that only supports the opinion of everyone who has looked at this (including the Pentagon) and concluded there was NO connection between al Qaeda and Iraq/Saddam Hussein before the U.S. invasion.

None.

Why don't you take your argument (and quote) to the Pentagon and explain your theory to them?

Star-Telegram.com: | 03/11/2008 | Report: No Saddam, al Qaeda link (broken link)
FOXNews.com - Pentagon Study of 600,000 Iraqi Documents Finds No Link Between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum
Saddam's links to al-Qaeda refuted - World - theage.com.au
Pentagon fails to find that Hussein helped Al Qaeda | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080311/NEWS07/803110343/1009/NEWS07 - broken link)

YouTube - Bush admits that Iraq Had Nothing To Do With 9/11

BTW, my post said nothing about John McCain, or his son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
we did not create terrorists and thank goodness that there are people out there who are more informed protecting our country and our future. yikes!
You may also want to talk to our Intelligence analysts about your other theories.

"A 30-page National Intelligence Estimate completed in April cites the "centrality" of the U.S. invasion of Iraq, and the insurgency that has followed, as the leading inspiration for new Islamic extremist networks and cells that are united by little more than an anti-Western agenda. It concludes that, rather than contributing to eventual victory in the global counterterrorism struggle, the situation in Iraq has worsened the U.S. position, according to officials familiar with the classified document."
Spy Agencies Say Iraq War Hurting U.S. Terror Fight - washingtonpost.com

Last edited by Art123; 03-11-2008 at 09:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:12 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Maybe they meant nothing to Bush, Cheney or Halliburton but they all meant something to somebody out there. People are hurting tonight because a son, father, brother will not ever see them again. He will not come home, will not greet his wife, his parents or his children. But Bush will go merrily back to Texas next year to live out his life in luxury and leave all his messes to somebody else to clean up. And it won't be John McCain.
And the same number of soldiers died in WWII, at a particular hour/day.

War is horrid. You are childish.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:37 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
Sadly, like Bush some hard core Republicans are incurious. Bush is anathema to most Republicans & they wish he were gone yesterday since the damage he has afflicting onto his party has been enormous.

Any Americans who still believe that Bush was correct in the invasion/occupation of Iraq are most likely the types who believe in creationism/intelligent design, duh!

The world despises Bush & the overwhelming majority of Americans [70%+] are deeply embarrassed & ashamed of what he did in the name of America. No, historians will not be gentle with Bush and his name will forever mean incompetence and corruption. Bushism means dumb. I'm actually sorry for Bush but more so for those who have suffered because Americans allowed Bush to become president.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Sadly, like Bush some hard core Republicans are incurious. Bush is anathema to most Republicans & they wish he were gone yesterday since the damage he has afflicting onto his party has been enormous.

[I]Any Americans who still believe that Bush was correct in the invasion/occupation of Iraq are most likely the types who believe in creationism/intelligent design, duh![/i]

The world despises Bush & the overwhelming majority of Americans [70%+] are deeply embarrassed & ashamed of what he did in the name of America. No, historians will not be gentle with Bush and his name will forever mean incompetence and corruption. Bushism means dumb. I'm actually sorry for Bush but more so for those who have suffered because Americans allowed Bush to become president.

Ah yes, the anti-christian bigot rears his ugly head, yet again. Thank you happ for proving that liberal tolerance is Americas greatest oxymoron.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Re: al Qaeda/Saddam link.

The report said there was "no operational relationship between Saddam and al Qaeda."
The report did not mention, however, any non-operational support, training or intelligence sharing.

None of the report addresses the Harmony Document... of which still has yet to be completely translated.

As for Saddam and terrorism:
Saddam Hussein's Philanthropy of Terror - by Deroy Murdock

Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I see virtually nothing in your post about al Qaeda being in Iraq before we invaded. Someone, somewhere said ONE GUY was northern Iraq ONCE. Is that the point you were making? Because I think that only supports the opinion of everyone who has looked at this (including the Pentagon) and concluded there was NO connection between al Qaeda and Iraq/Saddam Hussein before the U.S. invasion.

None.

Why don't you take your argument (and quote) to the Pentagon and explain your theory to them?

Star-Telegram.com: | 03/11/2008 | Report: No Saddam, al Qaeda link (broken link)
FOXNews.com - Pentagon Study of 600,000 Iraqi Documents Finds No Link Between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum
Saddam's links to al-Qaeda refuted - World - theage.com.au
Pentagon fails to find that Hussein helped Al Qaeda | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080311/NEWS07/803110343/1009/NEWS07 - broken link)

YouTube - Bush admits that Iraq Had Nothing To Do With 9/11

BTW, my post said nothing about John McCain, or his son.

You may also want to talk to our Intelligence analysts about your other theories.

"A 30-page National Intelligence Estimate completed in April cites the "centrality" of the U.S. invasion of Iraq, and the insurgency that has followed, as the leading inspiration for new Islamic extremist networks and cells that are united by little more than an anti-Western agenda. It concludes that, rather than contributing to eventual victory in the global counterterrorism struggle, the situation in Iraq has worsened the U.S. position, according to officials familiar with the classified document."
Spy Agencies Say Iraq War Hurting U.S. Terror Fight - washingtonpost.com
The qualifier in this post was as far as you needed to go.

But, just for the record, Zarqawi was in the Kurdish-controlled Northern Iraq. Sadaam Hussein had no control over this territory. What's more, the Bush administration had several chances to kill Zarqawi before the Iraq War started, but they passed on all of them. Apparently it would undercut a rationale for the war. Who knows how many American troops and innocent Iraqi's died because of this decision.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:59 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
The reason we went to Iraq:

Oil. Was it a good reason? Absolutely.

With the threat of radical Islam in the Middle East spreading like wildfire, the middle east's oil supply was threatened. Thus the economy of the U.S. was threatened. Bush and the other SANE people left in our govt knew that we had to establish a base there to protect the oil supply and thus our economy. A great side product of that was getting rid of the next worst thing than Hitler, Saddam Hussein. We could attack Al Qaeda from there, protect our oil and our economy, and get rid of one of the most evil people in the history of the world.

To date, the oil is protected and if it weren't for the housing market our economy would be thriving, Al-qaeda has been demolished across the middle east and is retreating and the people of Iraq are slowly building lives of freedom.

Because Americans are so politically correct and idealistic, Bush and the Govt couldn't be honest about why we went to war. Telling the American people we need to protect our oil supply in the middle east wouldn't have gone over well with the public. I think the WMDs was a smoke screen.

I just thank the lord every night that we had a president with some kahunas that was willing to go against political correctness and do the right thing. We have lost brave men and women to keep our economy thriving, to eradicate a dictator and bring freedom to people, and to find terrorism.

Let the politically correct, idealistic, no-common sense public bicker about how Bush is a terrible president but history will show how much he sacrificed for the good of the country. He will be remembered as a great president. One of the best.

P.s.-- If we were such an awful country then why didn't we steal oil from Iraq after we invaded? Why did we give the country and it's rich oil fields back to the people? Why do we give out more money in human aid than any other country? Because even though our self interests come first (economy and defense) we are good people and have morals. You can't say that about Europe and much of the cowardly world anymore.
Do you believe everything YOUR government tells you?

Wow was that a crock of crap. It almost sounds like the Dictator bushy, "The Decider" talking.

Wait a minute. War? What war? I have a pretty good memory. Far far better then voters do. I seem to remember way back about 3+ years ago when the Dictator "The Decider" declared "victory accomplished". Hmmmm so why are we still there? Oil? Nawww I have not seen any oil from this illegal invasion. Have you?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Re: al Qaeda/Saddam link.

The report said there was "no operational relationship between Saddam and al Qaeda."
The report did not mention, however, any non-operational support, training or intelligence sharing.

None of the report addresses the Harmony Document... of which still has yet to be completely translated.

As for Saddam and terrorism:
Saddam Hussein's Philanthropy of Terror - by Deroy Murdock
Training and intelligence sharing would be considered an operational relationship.

We've captured and interrogated, using our fancy new harsh interrogatin' techniques, hundreds of Iraqi military officials and Al Queda suspects. We've uncovered mountains of documents. All of them point to this reality, there was no collaboration between Al Queda and Iraq. In fact, its only brought more evidence towards the pre-war suspicion that Hussein was deeply suspicious of Al Queda.

Look, it was tough when I found out Santa wasn't real. I really, really wanted to believe that he would still come down the chimney the following year to give me my presents in exchange for some cookies and milk. But, even my 9 year old brain wouldn't allow it. Sometimes you need to give up fantasies in favor of the real world. Difficult as it may be, in the end, it's a more rewarding path.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:02 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post

Any Americans who still believe that Bush was correct in the invasion/occupation of Iraq are most likely the types who believe in creationism/intelligent design, duh!

Well, let's leave it up to the historians, okay? I'm sure you think you know, but I think you are a bird brain. Hey, you called Bush names...so I guess it's okay.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:07 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
IRAQ HAD A LOT TO DO WITH IT. SADAM HUSSEIN GAVE TONS OF MONEY FOR WHICH HE USED OVERSEAS BANK ACCOUNTS (THIS WAS ALL PROVEN TO BE TRUE) AND GAVE THE MONEY TO JASSER ARAFAT AND OTHER TERRORSITS ORGANISATIONS WHO ARE USING IT AGAINST ISRAEL AND THE UNITED STATES. THIS TO SUPPORT TERORIST SO THEY CAN SPEND MONEY ON KILLING AMERICANS AND JEWS, GAYS, ETC. EVERY ONE THEY DIDN'T LIKE EVEN THE PEOPLE IN THE NORTH OF HIS OWN COUNTRY AND HE KILLED HIS OWN SON IN LAWS. MAYBE YOU SHOULD WATCH DIFFERENT PROGRAMS AND GET EDUCATED. IN EUROPE THERE HAS BEEN LOTS OF BROADCASTINGS ABOUT THE MONEY TRAIL OF SADDAM HUSSEIN. THE WORLD IS BETTER OFF WITHOUT HIM.
SO THE MORON IS YOU NOT ME WHO HAS READ AND WATCHED A LOT ABOUT THIS.
YOU STATED "NOTHING!!!!!", HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS SO WELL WERE YOU INVOLVED?
Stop shouting !

Iraq had lots to do with 9-11? Funny all those planes seemed to be filled with Saudis. Not one single Iraqi national was on any of those planes. Bushy the Dictator just needed to jump on somebody to satisfy Americas thirst for revenge. Iraq just seemed like an easy mark.

Bushy the Dictator should be hanging from the same rope that Saddam did. They both are guilty of war crimes against humanity. Not to mention bushy has the blood of all those American servicemen on his hands. How does that waste of a human sleep at night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies