Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 06:59 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

Most of you guys (myself included) don't have what it takes to be a soldier anyway, so don't worry about it.

Please don't pretend as if you are going to be drafted. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 06:59 PM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Yeah more govt employees!

Old 06-20-2017, 07:00 PM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
I'm a veteran...and proud of it. The war I was in was unjust...yet still I went. The willingness to fight and, yes, maybe to die, for our freedoms is one of the things that ensures that those same freedoms endure.

I see all the cynicism here---and I wonder how the same people who claim to support freedom--are unwilling to fight for it. You see, you don't get to pick and choose your wars..our leadership does that..hence how important it is to exercise our franchise. I hear a lot about the war on terrorism...and how important it is. Yet...not willing to sacrifice?

It's OK though...if you're comfortable with others fighting and dying..for you...that's OK.
No one has fought for american freedom since the revolutionary war.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:02 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
I'm a veteran...and proud of it. The war I was in was unjust...yet still I went. The willingness to fight and, yes, maybe to die, for our freedoms is one of the things that ensures that those same freedoms endure.

I see all the cynicism here---and I wonder how the same people who claim to support freedom--are unwilling to fight for it. You see, you don't get to pick and choose your wars..our leadership does that..hence how important it is to exercise our franchise. I hear a lot about the war on terrorism...and how important it is. Yet...not willing to sacrifice?

It's OK though...if you're comfortable with others fighting and dying..for you...that's OK.

These days the one's they send are drying for the rich nothing to be proud of there. Sadly they tell you that you are fighting for freedom even more sadly they are lying to you.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:06 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Most combat troops fight for the men standing next to them.

There is nothing in the civilian workforce that can approximate the bonding that occurs in the wardroom, ready room, or foxhole. Military personnel in those environments put up with much hardship -- long hours, stressful working conditions, danger to personal safety, separation from loved ones, and more. However, because they all in it together, they get through it. This mutual self-sacrifice, teamwork, and covering each other's six contribute to individual bonding, unit cohesion.

Take a look at the people in those military foxholes. They share much in the way of values, ethics, commitment, sacrifice, reliability, citizenship, and courage. Can the same be said of the civilian workplace? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Isn't that something to cherish? Of course they'd feel proud. If you are not there, you have no rights to judge them. Plus, most of the people who have seen combat cherish freedom more than the regular folks, they don't take things for granted.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:08 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No one has fought for american freedom since the revolutionary war.
I pity you. Our freedoms, including yours...are fought for every day, in all sorts of ways. Your life and your lifestyle, has been purchased with the blood of many men and women. If you don't see that..nothing I do can convince you.

Enjoy your life....bash your favorite whipping boy/girl politician---rant, rave and and play the 'too cool for school' cynic---your right to do so was, and is, protected by our military.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:09 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

There is nothing in the civilian workforce that can approximate the bonding that occurs in the wardroom, ready room, or foxhole. Military personnel in those environments put up with much hardship -- long hours, stressful working conditions, danger to personal safety, separation from loved ones, and more. However, because they all in it together, they get through it. This mutual self-sacrifice, teamwork, and covering each other's six contribute to individual bonding, unit cohesion, and, ultimately, the camaraderie in question.

Isn't that something to cherish? Of course they'd feel proud. If you are not there, you have no rights to judge them. Plus, most of the people who have seen combat cherish freedom more than the regular folks, they don't take things for granted.

Not trashing the soldiers just the government who used them for their own greed.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:09 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

There is nothing in the civilian workforce that can approximate the bonding that occurs in the wardroom, ready room, or foxhole. Military personnel in those environments put up with much hardship -- long hours, stressful working conditions, danger to personal safety, separation from loved ones, and more. However, because they all in it together, they get through it. This mutual self-sacrifice, teamwork, and covering each other's six contribute to individual bonding, unit cohesion, and, ultimately, the camaraderie in question.

Amen

Old 06-20-2017, 07:10 PM

12,856 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:

Thank you for your service. Regardless of whether I agree with some of the points you make or not, you out yourself in harms way and that's admirable.

I do disagree with the premise of some of the rest of your post though. You can support freedom and still doubt whether the current leaders really feel freedom is the motivating factor in putting the troops in harm's way. You can also believe that fighting terrorism is important yet feel that the current strategy is ineffective. If our freedom was truly at stake, or if it was clear that troops on the ground in the Middle East were truly the only way to combat terrorism, many more people would be willing to fight. There are a lot of people who feel our current military strategies aren't doing anything to protect our freedom (would we really be any less free if we weren't in the Middle East?) and that our approach to fighting terrorism on the battlefield and in villages and remote regions in the Middle East isn't doing anything to help reduce instances of terrorism (many would argue the opposite is true). It's hard to fault someone for not being willing to die if they don't think what they'd be dying for is protecting freedom or keeping the rest of us safe.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:11 PM

14,681 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Cutting the social safety net to (unnecessarily) expand the military, a Republican administration stand-by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies