Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you "turn back the clock" on feminism?
Female - Yes, would turn back the clock on feminism 19 8.64%
Female - No, would not turn back the clock on feminism 89 40.45%
Male - Yes, would turn back the clock on feminism 46 20.91%
Male - No, would not turn back the clock on feminism 66 30.00%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 04:06 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,022,019 times

Advertisements

So are you a Sally or a Bob, jrt? If these are the only types of people encountered in your vast experience in the workforce across multiple industries, clearly you must be either a lonely alcoholic or an unproductive drama queen.

I am also impressed you know so much about "Sally's" love life! You really do sound like you have lots and lots of experiences with women. Nothing but a healthy relationship with your mom, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 04:10 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,093,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The feminists do NOT represent a strong woman. A strong woman does not become unhinged,does not scream obscenities ,and whine with hateful rhetoric . Those women are weak hateful and crazy.
but feminists do become unhinged and scream obscenities? Interesting...by the way, who is in charge of the "feminists" George Soros?

Old 10-10-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Mr. BentBow, (with whom I don't always agree, BTW) has made the point more directly, and bluntly than I would have:
OMG...I bet your favorite book was the Stepford Wives, wasn't it?

Old 10-10-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Being female and of an age (63) where I saw firsthand some of the indignities and inequalities of the pre-feminist era, I would never turn back the clock. I would, however, have liked to turn the clock forward, so that I did not have to grow up in that extremely confusing in-between time.

It was very difficult coming out of a sexually repressed time and suddenly being told, "Go for it!" I didn't really want to "go for it" but I felt as pressured by popular media, etc. to go be sexually free as family members only 10 or so years older than I had felt pressured by family and church to be untouched prior to marriage. And although we were told we were equal to men and should have equal rights and pay, those ideals did not play out in the world around us, so it was frustrating.

I think that perhaps some younger people these days (boy, I am old, aren't I--get off my lawn!), especially women, do not understand fully what it was like to want to take a Shop class in high school just once instead of Home Ec and not be allowed to do so because Shop was only for boys, or to not be able to participate in sports because prior to Title 9 there was never money in the school budget for girls' athletics. Or to have a prospective male boss say, "Stand up, Honey, and turn around," because he wants to see the rear view before he decides whether he wants to hire you. Or, like my mom, to know that if you get pregnant (even though you are married and do a great job) you will have no job after you start to show, because it's office policy to fire pregnant women.

The feminist movement wasn't perfect, but it was sorely needed. Seriously, turn it back? That must be something some men dream of, but for a woman, it would be a nightmare.
You nailed it! I'm 70 and in High School I signed up to take wood shop and without anyone saying a word my class list showed my elective as home economics, not wood shop. And when I went to high school lots of girls got pregnant, the poor girls were either sent off to a home for unwed mothers where they left their baby for adoption or they would try to find someone to perform an abortion, failing that they would have their boyfriend punch them in the abdomen repeatedly in order to induce a miscarriage. The wealthier girls, well they just took two or three days off from school for a "procedure" and came back magically unpregnant. Before my Senior year pregnant girls who 'showed' were not allowed to attend graduation ceremonies.

In the late 70's I went to the State Unemployment office to apply for a forklift driver job in a brewery. I already knew how to drive a forklift, I just needed to get certified which the employer offered. The clerk at the office would not submit my application because the employer had indicated "males only".

Would I turn back the clock? Hell no.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:50 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,023,335 times
Very informative and factual information about the Feminist Movement:

Feminism: What is the ultimate goal of the feminist movement?
https://www.quora.com/Feminism-What-...inist-movement

Old 10-10-2017, 04:52 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,023,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You nailed it! I'm 70 and in High School I signed up to take wood shop and without anyone saying a word my class list showed my elective as home economics, not wood shop. And when I went to high school lots of girls got pregnant, the poor girls were either sent off to a home for unwed mothers where they left their baby for adoption or they would try to find someone to perform an abortion, failing that they would have their boyfriend punch them in the abdomen repeatedly in order to induce a miscarriage. The wealthier girls, well they just took two or three days off from school for a "procedure" and came back magically unpregnant. Before my Senior year pregnant girls who 'showed' were not allowed to attend graduation ceremonies.

In the late 70's I went to the State Unemployment office to apply for a forklift driver job in a brewery. I already knew how to drive a forklift, I just needed to get certified which the employer offered. The clerk at the office would not submit my application because the employer had indicated "males only".

Would I turn back the clock? Hell no.
Excellent!!

One thing about those poor girls who had to go into hiding to have their babies and give them up for adoption: once they returned home they were branded with the Scarlet Letter and shunned as trash.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Excellent!!

One thing about those poor girls who had to go into hiding to have their babies and give them up for adoption: once they returned home they were branded with the Scarlet Letter and shunned as trash.
That's correct, I knew a few of them who joined the military when they turned 18 because their parents banished them from the house after they got home from their adventure at the home for unwed mothers. Apparently the parents felt their daughter had somehow brought shame on the family. Funny how you never heard about the boys who got those girls pregnant getting kicked out of the house, huh?

Old 10-10-2017, 05:10 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,287,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's correct, I knew a few of them who joined the military when they turned 18 because their parents banished them from the house after they got home from their adventure at the home for unwed mothers. Apparently the parents felt their daughter had somehow brought shame on the family. Funny how you never heard about the boys who got those girls pregnant getting kicked out of the house, huh?
I get the feeling some cad done you wrong. And that you hate men as a result. Pretty much sums up the motivation for the bitterness between the sexes on both sides. Hatred for the opposite sex nearly always stems from hatred for one member of that sex.

The genius of modern feminism, of course, is that it has convinced all women to resent/hate men without the necessity of having been a victim of anything other than chromosomal makeup. And that is too bad for all of us.

Turn back the clock? Nah. Turn off the systemic misandry? You betcha.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:30 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,466,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Some women can do it, but most can't from my experiences. If the typical women working these jobs were held to same standards as their male counterparts, a lot of them would find themselves unemployed. Very few of the women working in middle or upper management at the the firms I've worked for didn't have the whole "emotional roller-coaster" thing going on. This is the very reason that even women statistically prefer male bosses.
Awww. Did you have a mean lady boss?

Bad bosses come in all genders you know. The boss that treated me the WORST - to the point that I went to HR - was an older male.

Every single time I got promoted - it was because a female boss took me with her.

BUT - my very first manager was a male and he taught me everything and I still remember him fondly.

Then again, I don't base my entire life's view based on gender.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:35 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,004,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
So are you a Sally or a Bob, jrt? If these are the only types of people encountered in your vast experience in the workforce across multiple industries, clearly you must be either a lonely alcoholic or an unproductive drama queen.

I am also impressed you know so much about "Sally's" love life! You really do sound like you have lots and lots of experiences with women. Nothing but a healthy relationship with your mom, right?
Happily married

Last edited by jrt1979; 10-10-2017 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies