Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2017, 04:43 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Some people are assuming the majority of those on public assistance vote Republican. Not true. 2/3 of those on means-tested public assistance programs vote Dem.
Even if this were true, and I have my doubts as I've seen you repeatedly reference a survey in which people were asked their political affiliation and if they had used SNAP benefits now or in the past.

Given the Republican position on moochers, there is good reason to suspect that Republicans might under-report their use of Food Stamps, etc.

True or not, your constant flogging of how more poor people vote Democrat than vote Republican does not change the fact that the states that will be hit hardest are the ones that typically vote Republican.

Not only do they have a larger percentage of their population receiving financial assistance in one form or another, the states themselves are less likely to have the financial resources to fill in where the feds leave off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 05:09 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
But surely the people who will be hardest hit by this bill, will be the people in republican states.
Possibly, but they overwhelmingly don't vote Republican, anyway.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Even if this were true, and I have my doubts as I've seen you repeatedly reference a survey in which people were asked their political affiliation and if they had used SNAP benefits now or in the past.
That was Pew Research. The Maxwell Poll also corroborates that 2 (or more) to 1 ratio.

Quote:
Not only do they have a larger percentage of their population receiving financial assistance in one form or another, the states themselves are less likely to have the financial resources to fill in where the feds leave off.
That's actually not quite true. Those statistics include Social Security and Medicare. Those aren't freebie welfare handouts, they're pre-paid government annuity/insurance programs.

Nevertheless, those who do receive means-tested public assistance welfare benefits can move to California, then, which has already admitted it's a welfare magnet.

California has 12% of the population, and despite having the 6th largest economy in the world, has 34% of the US's welfare population.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:33 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What does it matter what political affiliation they are. My niece voted for Trump, she has 2 special need kids. She can't work because she has to stay home for them.
It doesn't. As I've noted, it's all attempts to divide people over politics. You can read here and see how many put politics ahead of people.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You would understand IF you would read the data. The data are facts. - not crap.

Crap is unsupported uninformed beliefs - which clearly you are a believer in - or you wouldn't have made the statement you did.
You said nothing. "Data". **** data. People.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Hollywood needs to tone is down and the media needs to stop with their obvious bias. People see it, shut off the TV, and it's one of the reasons nobody's interested in politics. If they're not lying, they're off their rockers bashing in a quite irrational manner thinking that this is what is going to make people change their minds and vote for them.

Like it or not, voters tend to not vote on policy issues and more on character and personality. I have to ask myself if these people carrying around Trump heads and going into their safe spaces are the ones I want to represent my country... democrats have some good issues and they have a lot of political issues where they play certain people against each other for political gain. Example are the racial quotas and double standards against caucasian males, and the one people really dislike, all the section 8 BS where they try to take inner city people and relocate them to wealthier suburbs. If they would stop trying to forcefully mix people of different cultures and classes I'd be more apt to vote for them. Those policies NEVER WORK. Also they tend to waste money on some really silly projects, like a streetcar in Milwaukee nobody will ever use... They're always going after guns, shoving climate change in our faces like we're supposed to do something about it... and they do it in a rather offputting way, scolding us like the religious right used to scold people in the past. People don't respond to that.
No, a majority vote the little letter after a persons name.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
That was Pew Research. The Maxwell Poll also corroborates that 2 (or more) to 1 ratio.
Both are surveys that ask people to identify their political affiliation and whether they've even been on welfare.

Both suffer from the same self-reporting bias.

It is interesting information but hardly proof of what you you are contending.

Something with more validity would would involve matching SNAP records with voting rolls to see which party they identify with, or which party's ballot they voted in the last primary.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
That's actually not quite true. Those statistics include Social Security and Medicare. Those aren't freebie welfare handouts, they're pre-paid government annuity/insurance programs.

Nevertheless, those who do receive means-tested public assistance welfare benefits can move to California, then, which has already admitted it's a welfare magnet.
California bashing aside, and bless them for taking in the less fortunate, the mentally ill, the poorly educated... produced in the hard-hearted states, there are indeed stats that only look at means-tested programs.

Guess what? Most of the top spots are Republican states.

7 States With the Most People on Food Stamps

I give you points for hanging in there with the argument that more Democrats will be hurt than Republicans by the GOP slashing the safety net and throwing folks to sink or swim.

The truth is lots of people will be hurt.

If it brings you some joy to believe that more of these people will be Democrats than Republicans, what is there to say really?

Old 06-24-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
California bashing aside, and bless them for taking in the less fortunate, the mentally ill, the poorly educated... produced in the hard-hearted states, there are indeed stats that only look at means-tested programs.

Guess what? Most of the top spots are Republican states.

7 States With the Most People on Food Stamps

I give you points for hanging in there with the argument that more Democrats will be hurt than Republicans by the GOP slashing the safety net and throwing folks to sink or swim.

The truth is lots of people will be hurt.

If it brings you some joy to believe that more of these people will be Democrats than Republicans, what is there to say really?
Stupid. The reason Trump is president is because economic policies under Obama hurt so many. The solution is NOT in condemning others but in condemning ourselves for allowing it to happen.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Both are surveys that ask people to identify their political affiliation and whether they've even been on welfare.

Both suffer from the same self-reporting bias.
How is it a bias? The demographic groups that are disproportionately over-represented on means-tested welfare public assistance programs are also well-known to vote overwhelmingly Dem. Given that fact, the 2 to 1 ratio appears to be valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies