Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Liberal City, Conservative State 19 34.55%
Conservative City, Liberal State 8 14.55%
Either 1) Liberal City + Liberal State OR Conservative City + Conservative State 18 32.73%
No Preference 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:27 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,180,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
What would you prefer to live in?
Conservative city in a conservative state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 09:41 AM

37,768 posts, read 40,902,683 times
I lived in a conservative town in a liberal state (MD) and was so happy to move in retirement to Tennessee so that my vote would finally count for something. You know what happened? My candidates (not including Trump) didn't make it out of the primaries. Oh, well.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:53 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,513,448 times
I moved from a liberal city in a liberal state to a conservative town in Texas some years ago. I find many locals are much more progressive than I had imagined, although as a whole they vote conservative. For me the biggest annoyance is the state senators and State's attorney. Texas has one of the most extreme conservative ideologies at the state level and insists on wasting taxpayer dollars advocating non issue bills like the bathroom bill and sanctuary cities bills. I think it's due partly because of the rebellious nature of Texans, "don't mess with Texas" mentality but, it results in resources being wasted on non issues most couldn't care less about. I found that by ignoring the rhetoric of a-holes like Ted Cruz, Dan Patrick and the like, Texas is a damn fine state. And in time, it's going to be way more moderate, due to all the transplants. So, I'm staying.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:15 AM

37,768 posts, read 40,902,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I moved from a liberal city in a liberal state to a conservative town in Texas some years ago. I find many locals are much more progressive than I had imagined, although as a whole they vote conservative. For me the biggest annoyance is the state senators and State's attorney. Texas has one of the most extreme conservative ideologies at the state level and insists on wasting taxpayer dollars advocating non issue bills like the bathroom bill and sanctuary cities bills. I think it's due partly because of the rebellious nature of Texans, "don't mess with Texas" mentality but, it results in resources being wasted on non issues most couldn't care less about. I found that by ignoring the rhetoric of a-holes like Ted Cruz, Dan Patrick and the like, Texas is a damn fine state. And in time, it's going to be way more moderate, due to all the transplants. So, I'm staying.
The fence was built on the wrong borders of Texas.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:22 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,766,652 times
It's not clear what the OP is asking.

I'm a Libertarian living in a Liberal City + Liberal State, making me an island in a sea of fascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I lived in a conservative town in a liberal state (MD) and was so happy to move in retirement to Tennessee so that my vote would finally count for something.
I know exactly how you feel. My vote hasn't counted in 36 years.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:04 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,865,638 times
Red and blue:

MOST of us out there are a bit of red AND blue.

Many "liberals" support the 2nd Amendment to the bone. Many "conservatives" out there support illegal immigration all the way, too.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:28 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,935,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Some of the most prosperous and fast growing cities in the nation are liberal, but in red states. More conservative states tend to have lower taxes and fewer obstacles to business development and growth. More liberal cities tend to have an advantage in community amenities (cultural, arts, dining, etc.) and are more open to newcomers and non-conformists. Here in the Southeast, Atlanta is such a place, as is Nashville, Louisville and pretty much all the major North Carolina cities.

I can't think of too many examples of conservative areas in liberal states that are especially popular and strong economically. Maybe Colorado Springs (although the state is pretty moderate) would qualify.
Don't forget Coloardo Springs' clone, Spokane, Washington. And, of course, Calgary (although Alberta is probably only as conservative as Colorado)

Old 04-03-2018, 02:52 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,177,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Don't forget Coloardo Springs' clone, Spokane, Washington. And, of course, Calgary (although Alberta is probably only as conservative as Colorado)
Spokane is less conservative than Colorado Springs, and it is not particularly prosperous. I think it's difficult to compare political leanings in Canada to the US, but Calgary would probably be more like Denver were they not separated by the border.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:56 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,996,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Conservative cities in liberal states are usually rural. Liberal cities in conservative states are few and far between. Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Atlanta, and Austin are the only ones I can think of.
Most college towns if you want to call them cities...Athens GA, Lawrence KS, in addition to heavily minority cities in conservative states.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:04 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,180,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
What would you prefer to live in?
Conservative city in a conservative state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies