Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:05 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times

Advertisements

I feel like an idiot for thinking of this before, but this guy has a pretty simple-sounding idea that sounds like about the best idea I've ever heard.

https://youtu.be/Ak-Y56SfkS0

The essence of the idea in the video is the following:

Step #1: Instigate a small tax on carbon emission production of businesses, small enough that it probably won't bankrupt any businesses. It'll just be enough to act as a warning to get their butts moving on lowering carbon emissions.

Step #2 and #3: slowly raise the carbon tax over time, giving businesses time to change. Put the money gained from the tax in a pot.

Step#4: Prices will undoubtedly raise due to the carbon tax, so to counter that, give the money in the aforementioned tax pot back to the American people. So, gas prices rise, but we each get a check right out of the pockets of the oil companies. It would be the same amount for everyone.

Step #5: put another tax on incoming goods from all nations that don't have a similar system.

So, we redistribute the wealth from heavy carbon producers to the average Joe and environmentally friendly companies, without messing up our economy.

Note that the video doesn't get to those above points until after the 11 minute mark.

Why isn't such a tax in existence yet?

Maybe we could introduce a carbon tax on individuals as well. That way we get to raid Al Gore's bank account when he flies in his private jets, but that sounds like it would be trickier to enact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 10:43 AM

59,022 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I feel like an idiot for thinking of this before, but this guy has a pretty simple-sounding idea that sounds like about the best idea I've ever heard.

Step #1: Instigate a small tax on carbon emission production of businesses, small enough that it probably won't bankrupt any businesses. It'll just be enough to act as a warning to get their butts moving on lowering carbon emissions.

Step #2 and #3: slowly raise the carbon tax over time, giving businesses time to change. Put the money gained from the tax in a pot.

Step#4: Prices will undoubtedly raise due to the carbon tax, so to counter that, give the money in the aforementioned tax pot back to the American people. So, gas prices rise, but we each get a check right out of the pockets of the oil companies. It would be the same amount for everyone.

Step #5: put another tax on incoming goods from all nations that don't have a similar system.

So, we redistribute the wealth from heavy carbon producers to the average Joe and environmentally friendly companies, without messing up our economy.

Note that the video doesn't get to those above points until after the 11 minute mark.

Maybe we could introduce a carbon tax on individuals as well. That way we get to raid Al Gore's bank account when he flies in his private jets, but that sounds like it would be trickier to enact.
"Why isn't such a tax in existence yet? "

Because ANY carbon tax is a joke.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:49 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:

oh yes this is absolutely brilliant!! yes lets go ahead and make businesses pay more in taxes and raise those taxes over time, and then refund those taxes back to the american people by forcing the businesses to pay for the refunds.

yeah that is brilliant. we can cause huge inflation and at the same time destroy the economy. what a brilliant idea!! yes please lets do it to show just how stupid ideas like this truly are. unfortunately we may not have much of an economy left when its all over.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:48 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
I wouldn't mind a flat environmental tax. Offer tax rebates to companies that meet EPA standards and reduce their carbon imprint. Then increase of taxes by .05% to those that don't meet those standards.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:49 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,779,901 times
The minute you start a tax, you're doomed. When the DNC takes over (eventually they will), they will immediately raise this tax.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:53 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Grant tax returns to companies that meet EPA standards and reduce their carbon imprint. .
I like this idea a lot.

We will NOT penalize companies that don't meet certain EPA emissions standards, but we WILL give sizable tax breaks to those that do .

Rewarding companies that do find ways to cut emissions, and giving companies that don't incentive to try.

I have no idea how anybody could disagree with that. Nice one, RunD

Old 06-23-2017, 11:59 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
I have a better idea. don't let progressives near the levers of government.

see there? I just saved the world.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:04 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I like this idea a lot.

We will NOT penalize companies that don't meet certain EPA emissions standards, but we WILL give sizable tax breaks to those that do .

Rewarding companies that do find ways to cut emissions, and giving companies that don't incentive to try.

I have no idea how anybody could disagree with that. Nice one, RunD
Thank Gary Johnson he mentioned it during his campaign for President.

My only 2 concerns would be ensuring the money collected in taxes goes to support the environment. That this wouldn't be abused by corruption via people paying people off.

Not sure if a concern or not Businesses that cause a negative impact on the environment have to foot their own bill to clean up.

Remember an article mentioned a while back where the Government offers money to industrial agricultural farms to clean up any environmental impact. However, article pointed that money should be allocated to assist smaller farms and educate smaller farms on sustainable farming techniques.

Also should have more involvement with charity services integrating with various departments that deal with the environment in the U.S.

Money collected should also go to progressing the U.S. forward and fund research in ways can increase sustainability.

End energy subsidies leave it to the market to decide which energy grows and doesn't grow.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:12 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Sounds good in theory. But this is America. You know that the tax money will just go into someone's back pocket.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:19 PM

5,737 posts, read 4,694,854 times
Quote:

Sounds like a pretty hefty tax to me. No thanks. We have more than enough taxes already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies