Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 08:36 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You've been saying that through out this thread and I don't understand what you mean, please explain. If a law is in place how can they not pay????
Like I said, if the said employees can't produce more than $15/hour, they get fired.

The employers will find ways to make the employees produce more value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 08:39 PM

52,260 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Like I said, if the said employees can't produce more than $15/hour, they get fired.

The employers will find ways to make the employees produce more value.
Are you really serious with this statement??? LOL, let me preface that I'm not for a 15 min wage, but if a law is a law how can an employer get around this.

You're not making much sense here? It is Saturday night, you nipping on the bottle? LOL

Lawyer fees and legal costs wouldn't be worth it to skirt the law.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:56 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The problem is not that the minimum wage is too low. The problem is that The Rent Is Too High. The rent is too high because homeowners have vested financial and lifestyle interests in maintaining a shortage of housing affordable to minimum wage workers. (It's called "zoning", "ballot box zoning", "NIMBY", "slow growth". "smart growth", "no growth", etc.)

WhereTF can minimum wage workers sign up for overtime? Minimum wage employers - especially corporate fast food chains - have rigid cost structures and the corporate hierarchy to enforce them. When I delivered pizzas, one week I worked 48 hours and the response of my manager was to NEVER let me work 40 hours (let alone 48) ever again.
Move to locations where the cost of living is lower. I hoped you walked after that 48 hours. If someone is stuck, they need to grind until they are ready to advance. Minimum wage is not sustainable.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Requiring businesses to pay $15/hour for an $8/hour job, merely by government fiat, simply causes those jobs to disappear, if not today, then tomorrow, for certain. The job is still worth only $8/hour...it's just that the proprietor is required by government to pay $15/hour in exchange for labor that still is only worth $8/hour.

Hence the initiative by McDonald's to install digital self-order kiosks in all of its stores over the next few years. MCD explains that this is not intended to cast hundreds of thousands of cashiers onto the unemployment rolls, and that these cashiers will be redirected to other functions in each store, namely table service and food prep.

However, MCD will find after a few years that they still can't get $15/hour worth of productivity out of these newly-purposed employees, and will have to send them packing, long after the initial publicity has died down, and the promise to retain the cashiers has been forgotten by the public at large.

The obvious reason? Because it makes no economic sense to pay $15/hour for a job that is only worth $8/hour.

We did a study with small business owners and while some were going to struggle to make this work, they said they would be looking for a higher quality of employee, and most of the people they had today wouldn't make the cut in the future. They were willing to close their eyes to some things at $8 an hour, but want more for their money at nearly double that.

Some were eliminating people. A few were moving to two shifts of part-time workers so they can find the money by not paying benefits.

Restaurants are moving to models that will eliminate a lot of people down the road, either by reducing labor back of the house, or cutting it in the front of the house, or both.

The results weren't surprising.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:03 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
If a worker is struggling, that's their own fault. $15 isn't enough. $16 isn't enough. $17 isn't enough. No matter what the minimum wage is, it will still be the minimum.

The taxes wealthy pay isn't enough. Struggling workers don't make enough money and have no desire to earn more money. Why wait 2-4 years for the government to raise the "minimum" wage when there are ways to increase income now?

Workers can sign up for overtime. Apply for positions within. Get a second job. (May as well since they aren't good enough at their first job). They can write a book. They can get better at the current job, take the knowledge and skills elsewhere.

If someone isn't willing to hire someone away from their current job, they aren't worth a nickel that dropped in the drainage.
You didn't answer the question why it's fine to give the wealthy tax breaks and screw everyone else.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
So buy your logic there should be no minimum wage. The US can be like China the land of virtual slavery. The conservative wet dream.

So "BY" my logic, make more money.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You didn't answer the question why it's fine to give the wealthy tax breaks and screw everyone else.
You're confusing government with business.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No one asked one.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:16 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Yes, it's so sad, I recently drove through California and saw thousands of closed restaurants, luckily, there were millions still going strong, LOL.. All this consternation over a wage that most on here wouldn't think of working for. Paying a decent wage is a fundamental part of building a good business, if your margins can't support it, it's lights out. No guarantees, it's known as restrained capitalism. And in that construct, you can always throw in the towel..You're free..

Someone better at running a business would step in and maximize the efficiency, provide top quality, and make a good profit. It could mean fewer restaurants, it could mean higher prices and thus, fewer customers, but the market will adjust to a different level. Making profit, sometimes calls for a different approach, and, creating a different class of customer, one who can, and will pay the freight for good food and great service. Building an economic circus like ours, wherein proles work for peanuts while serving food to other proles is a failed concept, look around you. The restaurant guys with the deep pockets won't be crying over the loss of those who they deem to be bottom feeders, it's capitalism at it's finest..

Old 06-24-2017, 09:18 PM

52,260 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
We did a study with small business owners and while some were going to struggle to make this work, they said they would be looking for a higher quality of employee, and most of the people they had today wouldn't make the cut in the future. They were willing to close their eyes to some things at $8 an hour, but want more for their money at nearly double that.

Some were eliminating people. A few were moving to two shifts of part-time workers so they can find the money by not paying benefits.

Restaurants are moving to models that will eliminate a lot of people down the road, either by reducing labor back of the house, or cutting it in the front of the house, or both.

The results weren't surprising.
I really wonder what lawmakers think in their tiny little pea brains. Do they actually think that business owners are going to out of the goodness of their hearts absorb the added costs??? LOL, I mean really??? Businesses will find a way to offset the additional costs through whatever measures they legally can. I mean if that is cutting hours and benefits or whatever they will, if that means raising prices they will.

I mean this stuff is just basic common sense as I've said here about 8 times now. I'm screaming into a wall of deafness on this subject.

I don't really understand why people get so worked up about this subject. If you've got no skill set that warrants a better paying job, go get them. I see tons of adds on TV for career training for things that will command a larger salary. Heck, if you're poor you can qualify for aid and loans to help with the costs.

I don't get people that think that the world should somehow change for them or coddle them. It's friggin dog eat dog out there in the real world. Get yourself ahead of the pack through whatever means necessary.

I mean don't go to HS go and work at McDonalds and expect to make enough money to buy a home and have children and do all of that stuff.

Why is this so damn hard for people to understand??

I went to night school forever when I was a young guy, working during the day and going to college at night, I busted my ass to get ahead. This was back when the min wage was 4.75 an hour and it was crap money then and it wouldn't have paid for a home and kids, nor should it have. Low level jobs working at a coffe house or flipping burgers are jobs for kids and retiree's or people who have no kids and are renting a room out of someone's house.

LOL... WTF do people expect anymore? The free market system closely resembles the real world and the animal world, you don't hunt, you don't eat???

See how this stuff works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies