Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support massive legislature aimed at reducing obesity rates in the United States?
yes 44 30.56%
No 84 58.33%
fidget spinners are dumber than the pet rock 16 11.11%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 12:25 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,105,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
The government puts "healthy grains" at the base of the pyramid. If you're eating pasta and bread all the time you'll have a hard time losing weight because carbs are addictive and insulin promotes fat storage.
Yep.

It should be:

Water > Vegetables > Fruits > Grains > Fish/Healthy oils and fats > Dairy (optional) > Land meat (optional) > processed foods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 12:32 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,554,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't generally buy the "big bones" excuse. Maybe your son is truly an exception, but not most people.

I consider myself very big boned (my wrist is 6.15 inches circumference, and I have size 10 feet ) - yet still at 5'11, I'm only 127 pounds. And no, I do not look skeletal.
Man, you must be nothing but bone!

I agree that a lot of people use that as an excuse. He's just an exceptionally big kid (head circumference is off the chart). Muscle is heavier than fat and to use pounds in the equation is going to be unfair to some people.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:44 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,470,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
With all this talk of healthcare it seems as if nobody is talking about the big elephant in the room.......American's in general are unhealthy.

What if we did the same thing with food?

What if the price of junk food literally doubled overnight with a fat tax?

What if you weren't allowed to buy junk food with an EBT card?

What if you had to pay more into medicare without taking a yearly government physical proving you're not obese?

What if we actually overhauled the school lunch system in this country?

What if children had mandatory strenuous exercise in PE again?

What if active video games like xbox connect games or active phone apps like Pokemon go received tax credits as well as government funding?

What if we instituted massive government funded add campaigns geared at changing the acceptance of obesity in the same manor as we did with being a smoker?

Would you support massive legislature aimed at reducing obesity rates in the United States?
While I agree with your first statement you're list of other things will never happen. I agree that it would be nice to have some of them happen, most Americans would flip their lids.

Your taking away their freedoms to be fat and lazy.

How do you want parents to spend time with their children when they rather hand them a smartphone. X-box so they don't have to spend time with them!

Wasn't their an article years ago about schools getting rid of PE because if someone's child got hurt the parents would sue?

Again I like your list sadly you can't take punish people who like being fat and lazy.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:47 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,299,828 times
I support leaving people alone.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:02 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,105,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Man, you must be nothing but bone!

I agree that a lot of people use that as an excuse. He's just an exceptionally big kid (head circumference is off the chart). Muscle is heavier than fat and to use pounds in the equation is going to be unfair to some people.
Nope, not at all. I have plenty of curves and muscle (especially my calves).

Sounds like your son might make an excellent rugby player one day.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:04 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,776,654 times
They should not allow food stamps to be used on soda or anything in the snack aisle.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:41 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,647,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's not oversimplifying anything.

People gain weight when their calorie intake is too high.

Sorry if this FACT upsets you.
Not all people have the same Basal Metabolic Rate/Resting Metabolic Rate and it changes as one gets older. Take time to read a medical journal instead of some out of date muscle magazine.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:45 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,647,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
There are hormonal problems that actually make weight gain a medical issue.

Of course these days, we tend to make anything a medical issue. If your great aunt refused to give you apple pie when you were a child, the resulting trauma is a medical issue now that you are 34.

We tend to gain weight as we grow older and it is more difficult to win the battle of the bulge.

All that said. Probably 95% or more of overweight people simply eat too much and do not exercise enough.
And a six day workout is just not going to happen anymore.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:45 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,219,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Telling people how to live their lives is not a legitimate government function.
Except when it comes to birth control.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:46 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,856,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Which is why health care often costs more if you're overweight. The issue isn't taxes it's the cost of health care and that is between me and my provider.

On the bright side, obese people die younger so they collect social security and are on medicare for a shorter time. It all comes out in the wash.
Bad to say but, I agree with you 100 percent. Too; many "healthy" people WILL cost us $$ when they get real old cause of Alzheimers, strokes and so on which DON'T usually "kill" real fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies