Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 09:17 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Uh huh. What you quoted has no reference or connection at all to your reply.

I rechecked the percentage of slave owners in 1860, it was 1.446671815774262% of the free ppopulation.
1860 Census Results
The free population throughout the USA, not just the South. I am talking about the South, and the South only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 09:27 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Call it a perverted view of history all you want. Until you can prove me wrong, then you are the one with a childish, unstable mindset, not me.

Actually, more than 2% of southern Whites owned slaves. About 30% of White Southern families owned at least one slave.

Digital History

Sounds like you are the one with fantasies, not me.
It first came out that 5% of the population owned slaves. I used to quote that. But the wife and kids don't really count. Like you said, it's about families or households

Old 07-08-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
There is no end to liberal SJW rage and hate, it's bottomless.
And conservatives are any better?

And yes, I do hate the Confederate flag. This is why.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tappan_Thompson

https://www.civilwar.org/learn/artic...sons-secession

"Declaration of Immediate Causes Which May Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union," 24 December 1860

Anyone who says slavery wasn't a big part of why the South wanted secession is telling a big fat lie. I have every reason to have disgust for the Confederacy, and I'm not sorry for feeling that way. It is what it is.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It first came out that 5% of the population owned slaves. I used to quote that. But the wife and kids don't really count. Like you said, it's about families or households
And what it proves is that slavery was a widespread institution in the South. If so many households had slaves, then that should show how widespread it was. States like Mississippi, South Carolina, and Georgia, their economies were built specifically because of slavery.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:39 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The free population throughout the USA, not just the South. I am talking about the South, and the South only.
I'm aware, hence original comment.
Six percent of Southern whites owned slaves.
If you include the North, 1.4 percent owned slaves.

A few more numbers:
Quote:
3,000 blacks owned a total of 20,000 black slaves in the year 1860. One study concluded that 28 percent of free blacks owned slaves, which is a far higher percentage than that of free whites who owned slaves.

Two-thirds of whites came to the colonies in some form of bondage. Legal papers on both sides of the ocean referred to them as "slaves." White slaves outnumbered black slaves in America throughout the 1600s.

Hundreds of thousands of white slaves were kidnapped and brought to America; their middle-passage death rates were comparable to those of black slaves; they were sold at auction and traded for livestock, they were routinely beaten—sometimes to death—and an estimated one half of them died before gaining freedom. It's possible that more whites came to America against their will than blacks.

Of the 10 to 15 million Africans who were transplanted to the New World, no more than 6 percent—around 400,000—went to the Northern Hemisphere. Almost all of them went to South America.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies