Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 06:31 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Once again, we have been vetting quite successfully for years now. No one, especially Trump, has been able to explain what is so flawed about our current vetting system. And no, shutting Muslims out because they're icky and we don't like them is NOT a valid reason Even if the travel ban does pass, I bet a few paychecks that, like everything else, Trump has no concrete plan for improving this supposedly flawed system. He's just talking out of his rear end.

Aren't you the arrogant one? "If you want to come into our country you have to renounce all of your values and your religion because it's so inferior to our own." Spoken like a true settler from the Mayflower.
Actually, the Mayflower settlers weren't all that different than Muslim extremists. One hopes that America will have the same moderating effect on the new arrivals. Europe is lost, but that's because they have no vetting and little opportunity or housing for the people who come there, so they end up in ghettoes with all the ghetto effects. At least here they go to school, work their butts off and become business owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 06:42 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,032,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Once again, we have been vetting quite successfully for years now. No one, especially Trump, has been able to explain what is so flawed about our current vetting system. And no, shutting Muslims out because they're icky and we don't like them is NOT a valid reason Even if the travel ban does pass, I bet a few paychecks that, like everything else, Trump has no concrete plan for improving this supposedly flawed system. He's just talking out of his rear end.

Aren't you the arrogant one? "If you want to come into our country you have to renounce all of your values and your religion because it's so inferior to our own." Spoken like a true settler from the Mayflower.

Oh, absolutely, our values are superior and better and more rational and more conducive to human life and human success than those found in the medieval theocracies in the Middle East. It's an objective fact and an obvious truth.

So people coming here to live should only be allowed in if they subscribe to the superior and higher quality values that have made this country the best country on the planet. Better than the backward savage theocracies where changing religions means YOU EFFING DIE. So what are those better and superior values? Freedom, Capitalism, Individual Rights, and Rule of Law.

I don't apologize for it, and I don't want anybody allowed to immigrate to my country without subscribing to the values of my country. If you can't do that, stay where you are, and stay where your values rule. Living in the Dark Ages of the 10th Century is a choice, but not in my country.

Now, vetting is not possible in backward countries where tribes rule and there is no modern infrastructure and documentation and accountability. So, if you are in one of those countries, you can't come here. Why? Because we cant tell who you are, where you came from, or what you're up to.

No documentation, no vetting. No vetting, you can't come here.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
After Trump stopped calling it a "Muslim Ban" he went on the call it a "Travel Ban".

Trump: I am calling it a ‘TRAVEL BAN!’

Trump: I am calling it a

You don't even know when Trump is trolling you guys!
That is what's so pitiful.

Like the anchor baby deal.....

Old 06-26-2017, 09:11 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The decision for the STAY on the lower Courts was Unanimous by the US Supreme Court Judges.
The qualifier was a few exceptions and those will be removed when the full case is settled

- In the President's favor. The Constitution is very, very clear on his powers over Immigration/Visas/Refugees
That power does NOT reside in the 9th Circuit Court, it resides in the Oval Office.
Which is why the timeline on the original EO (the 90 days) is now irrelevant as it made it through the court systems. The 9th Circuit Court attempted to circumvent a constitutionally protected power of the President and if Trump did not challenge that very poor decision, the 9th's decision would now be considered case law which would also apply to future Presidents. There really was no choice but to appeal this to SCOTUS.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Which is why the timeline on the original EO (the 90 days) is now irrelevant as it made it through the court systems. The 9th Circuit Court attempted to circumvent a constitutionally protected power of the President and if Trump did not challenge that very poor decision, the 9th's decision would now be considered case law which would also apply to future Presidents. There really was no choice but to appeal this to SCOTUS.
I bet that judge is humiliated, or he should be.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I bet that judge is humiliated, or he should be.
Judges - plural - on the 9th. You would think so but the 9th has more cases overturned than any other court and yet continues to make very bad decisions. There's a reason the opposition decided to legally challenge this in Hawaii to begin with (also known as judge shopping).

Old 06-26-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Judges - plural - on the 9th. You would think so but the 9th has more cases overturned than any other court and yet continues to make very bad decisions. There's a reason the opposition decided to legally challenge this in Hawaii to begin with (also known as judge shopping).
Yeah, but they had to know using his campaign statements against him over the language in the EO was very iffy.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:42 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Oh, absolutely, our values are superior and better and more rational and more conducive to human life and human success than those found in the medieval theocracies in the Middle East. It's an objective fact and an obvious truth.

So people coming here to live should only be allowed in if they subscribe to the superior and higher quality values that have made this country the best country on the planet. Better than the backward savage theocracies where changing religions means YOU EFFING DIE. So what are those better and superior values? Freedom, Capitalism, Individual Rights, and Rule of Law.

I don't apologize for it, and I don't want anybody allowed to immigrate to my country without subscribing to the values of my country. If you can't do that, stay where you are, and stay where your values rule. Living in the Dark Ages of the 10th Century is a choice, but not in my country.

Now, vetting is not possible in backward countries where tribes rule and there is no modern infrastructure and documentation and accountability. So, if you are in one of those countries, you can't come here. Why? Because we cant tell who you are, where you came from, or what you're up to.

No documentation, no vetting. No vetting, you can't come here.
Ok Marc, I still disagree with your ethnocentric views about the US, but let's agree to disagree on that. What's so terrible about our current vetting system? Why is it so flawed that Trump has to save us from the big bad terrorists hiding behind every corner, just waiting to legally emigrate here so they can blow us up?

Do you know? Does anyone know? How will blocking immigration increase Trump's IQ enough to allow him to invent an improved vetting system on the one that already works? No one I have ever spoken to has an answer.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:44 PM

6,567 posts, read 6,731,727 times
Quote:
Yeah, but they had to know using his campaign statements against him over the language in the EO was very iffy.
They had nothing else. They knew there were going to get slapped down in the high court. In any case they are political arsonists, not judges.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Using political statements on a freaking campaign trail, pfft, that was so bad a reach, it's shocking. I guess since they knew they didn't have the law on their side, it's what they had but really, it's a shocking lack of judicial integrity on their part. It was easy really - either the EO was constitutional or it was not as it was written. I find it even more shocking there are people who think it's perfectly okay to have judges like the 9th not rule on the actual law but flipping campaign statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies