Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Trumpcare?
Yes 15 14.85%
No 86 85.15%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:48 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

So if a person ever is unable to afford insurance, they can never get insurance later when they can afford it?

I guess a lot of burger flippers and unemployed folks are doomed.
That's the only way a "I pay for mine only" system will work - so those people who choose to be cheap today about paying premiums (not talking about the poor) don't sign up later on with cancer and blow our nice risk pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 11:49 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,433,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Sorry, but your puny premiums don't pay for even your own catastrophic illness. Insurance needs volume in order to cover all these huge costs. You're paying less to subsidize people than you would if, let's say, half the people dropped out of your risk pool. I work in insurance.
Oh, spare me the B.S.

I've paid about $75,000 in insurance premiums over a ten year period, with high deductibles and limited coverage. And I haven't been to the doctor or filled a prescription even once. But if I had, I would have had to pay cash.

You should get out of insurance and find a respectable occupation.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Oh, spare me the B.S.

I've paid about $75,000 in insurance premiums over a ten year period, with high deductibles and limited coverage.

You should get out of insurance and find a respectable occupation.
Why? It makes money.

But seriously, $75k is respectable but if, like a relative of mine, you found yourself in a terrible car accident and required a hospitalization of 2 weeks, that doesn't even come close to paying for that.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Why? It makes money.

But seriously, $75k is respectable but if, like a relative of mine, you found yourself in a terrible car accident and required a hospitalization of 2 weeks, that doesn't even come close to paying for that.
That's where having an auto policy comes into the picture.

Are you sure you work in insurance?

Old 06-27-2017, 11:55 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,012 times
I wonder where are those conservatives kicking and screaming about "redistribution of wealth".

Too bad they want to redistribute upwards to the richest instead of the poorest most needy people. Great way to keep money in politics.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
That's where having an auto policy comes into the picture.

Are you sure you work in insurance?
Yeah, I am, and that's why I know there are many different types of car insurance (some which only pay one party's damages), many different levels of coverage limit, and different state regulations that determine whether health or auto comes first.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A beautiful snowflake View Post
Would you prefer tax credits then like the house Bill?

Let me ask you. Are you also outraged that employers get tax benefits for offering their employees insurance? Or are you just upset because this helps poor people and not the middle class? What do you want? No subsidies or subsidies for all?
I want everyone to pay their own way and stop mooching off of other people.

The entitlement mentality in this country has gotten out of hand.

And the irony of having other people pay for your stuff is that it hasn't lowered costs, it's driven them up.

When the government (meaning taxpayers) subsidize something, the people selling that something raise their prices. Why not? The patients don't care about the cost, and the government will pay even if it means a national debt of $20 trillion.

Government subsidizes health care -- health care prices skyrocket.

Government subsidizes housing by buying sketchy mortgages -- housing prices skyrocket.

Government subsidizes college education via loan guarantees -- the cost of a college education skyrockets.

All incentives to rein in costs are removed.

Anyone else see a pattern here?

Old 06-27-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
I wonder where are those conservatives kicking and screaming about "redistribution of wealth".

Too bad they want to redistribute upwards to the richest instead of the poorest most needy people. Great way to keep money in politics.
You can't "redistribute upwards."

Poor people don't have anything to "redistribute".

Another fake narrative of the Left.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:01 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,152 times
Delayed again, surprise surprise.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A beautiful snowflake View Post
Lol. Auto insurance? The people who want your money until you make a claim or two and then kick you out?

Do you wanna pay for catastrophic health insurance until you get sick and you become uninsurable? What is the point then? Is your life worth the same as your car? You have a very low opinion of yourself then.
Quote:
Yeah, I am, and that's why I know there are many different types of car insurance (some which only pay one party's damages), many different levels of coverage limit, and different state regulations that determine whether health or auto comes first.
Whatever.

You guys need to stop pretending that health insurance pays for things like auto accidents, buses running you down on the street, or plane crashes.

Or slipping and falling in a retail store.

There are many other sources to pay for your hospital bills besides your health insurance.

You can add an umbrella policy to relatively low cost auto, liability and homeowners policies for very little money and increase your coverage limits quite dramatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies