Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 06:15 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times

Advertisements

It only takes one accident or injury for you to wish you had insurance. Go to the hospital and if you aren't flat broke the hospital will demand you to go on a payment plan. Too bad Ryan isn't an ordinary person with ordinary income and insurance. He lives like most politicians in a glass bubble. These Republicans don't care about people. They only care about their promise to destroy Obama care. They aren't above making up lies about how it's falling apart. I guess these people think we're all idiots and going to swallow whatever they dream up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 06:21 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
It only takes one accident or injury for you to wish you had insurance. Go to the hospital and if you aren't flat broke the hospital will demand you to go on a payment plan. Too bad Ryan isn't an ordinary person with ordinary income and insurance. He lives like most politicians in a glass bubble. These Republicans don't care about people. They only care about their promise to destroy Obama care. They aren't above making up lies about how it's falling apart. I guess these people think we're all idiots and going to swallow whatever they dream up.
Well, you can't blame them for thinking that the American public is comprised of idiots; they did elect Donald Trump, after all.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:36 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
I'm sure if you had been diagnosed with cancer or some other condition which would have disqualified you form the insurance market you would be one of the first ones on the other side....No one is forced to do something smart and buy health insurance, you can pay a small penalty and stick it to the man....

It's amazing people are up in arms b/c the government wants to help them take care of one of the most important aspects of their existence, but nobody is fighting to get rid of auto insurance, the government forces you to buy that, and GOP supports that- so I guess they are all commie statists too huh?

Apples and oranges...

Auto insurance, at least in my state, covers injuries to the other driver.

Health insurance only covers the policy holder.

A hospital must treat you whether you have insurance or not.

A collision shop is under no such obligation.

Everyone has a body that is susceptible to illness and injury.

Not everyone drives a car.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:53 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
When will people realize that insurance is the reason HEALTH CARE is so expensive in the first place?

People don't care what things cost when someone else is paying the bill.

I only need liability insurance to drive a car (assuming the car is paid for).
That's to protect others on the road....I don't have to have full comp coverage to protect myself if I don't wish to.

And if I only drive it off road on my own property, I don't need insurance at all.

Mandatory health insurance is a tax on existing.........

And the only ones who really benifit from mandating coverage are the insurance companies....because you must buy what they sell.

Yes, mandatory health insurance is required for existing. That's why Democrats wanted single payer, which makes a lot more sense.

Remember, Obamacare started out as a Republican idea and first implemented by a Republican governor. Like most Republican idea, it has a lot of holes and isn't always logical; but it's the best we have at the moment.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:54 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Apples and oranges...

Auto insurance, at least in my state, covers injuries to the other driver.

Health insurance only covers the policy holder.

A hospital must treat you whether you have insurance or not.

A collision shop is under no such obligation.

Everyone has a body that is susceptible to illness and injury.

Not everyone drives a car.
Interesting. Auto insurance usually only covers the 'other' driver if you are at fault for 'the other driver's' injuries.

Auto insurance can cover you as the driver - depending on what coverages you choose. Most policies offer a Medical Payments or PIP coverage to cover a driver under their own policy.

A hospital must treat your for 'emergency injuries' if you have insurance or not. If you have cancer; not so much.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:01 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
I think people need to remember that just because you go into the ER and can get treatment doesn't mean that it's free. You will still be billed for that. They can sue you for payment, use liens, wage garnishment, etc. to get their money back. I hear they will sometimes negotiate with you first but I don't think you'll get away with a 90% discount. May as well just buy the insurance.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:21 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
To any young people who will choose not to get health insurance then my suggestion to you is to stop driving.

CDC: Fatal car crash risk highest among young drivers - CBS News

Old 06-28-2017, 05:53 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Yes, mandatory health insurance is required for existing. That's why Democrats wanted single payer, which makes a lot more sense.

Remember, Obamacare started out as a Republican idea and first implemented by a Republican governor. Like most Republican idea, it has a lot of holes and isn't always logical; but it's the best we have at the moment.
Romney care was implemented at the state level.

And just because it may work for the residents of a particular state, doesn't mean that it will work for another state or the whole country.

I'm fine with state level solutions because it allows people to more easily vote out state level representatives, or if necessary, to vote with their feet if what their state implements does not meet their needs.

And a tax on existing is unconstitutional.... regardless of what you call it or what the SC says.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:25 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
About 16 million households (about 3 million with children) in the US go hungry to some degree. I guess they don't really want to eat.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:59 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Then why did premiums and deductibles skyrocket under Obamacare when everyone was forced to buy insurance?

And don't give me that "they were going up anyways" crap.
I was paying out of pocket $800 per month for insurance, my employer covered the other half. That was in 2007. Rates have been going up for decades. If you didn't know that, you've got too much fat in that large room between your ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies