Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 01:59 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post

If you've ever lived in a high-traffic area surrounded by rude and uncivilized people, you know that one day you will eventually lose your temper. A cop of all people should be best of everyone at de-escalating issues such as this, though.
Trust me, I get it. The neighborhood I grew up in went from being working-class-white to ghetto-mostly-Black-and-Guyanese after I initially moved out in 2001. Two years ago i had to move back home after being displaced by a fire in my apartment building, and lived there for 15 months. It was the worst 15 months of my life. Loud booming bass noise whenever it was nice weather, loud house parties going until after midnight, and I imagine they've already started in with the illegal fireworks (thankfully I moved out again last August!).

My parents have lived on that street since 1972, and 2016 was the first time their car had ever been vandalized. I wouldn't have threatened to kill whoever did it if I had caught them, but I would have been right up in their face demanding a satisfactory, legitimate reason as to why they were on the property. Give me a reason, or I'm calling the police.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:05 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,114,371 times
Sometimes a well-placed threat works wonders. A few years ago, the houses on my block were all being robbed. I stood outside and talked to a bunch of teens that I knew. In the middle of the conversation, I casually mentioned that I would shoot anyone who broke into my house. Every house on the block got hit but mine.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:09 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Kids walk on lawns and take short cuts all the time. It shouldn't be a big deal to anyone unless you have a dog or they're leaving litter or destroying your property.
Wrong!!! It is not their home property, and they haven't been invited there by the homeowner.

And then there is that sticky issue known as "liability" if one of them gets hurt while on the property if they are goofing around. I'm sure you've heard of the girl who fell from the amusement park ride in upstate NY over the weekend??? It has been established that it was her fault entirely, not ride malfunction (57 years and no incidents, plus it passed THREE inspections this year), yet her parents are retaining a lawyer and not allowing her to talk to local police until their lawyer does. She was the one who caused her fall yet the park is at fault is clearly their stance.

That can go the same way if a kid gets hurt while trespassing on someone else's property.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:13 PM

78,352 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Yet he did not touch or attempt to detain the white kid, who had clearly been involved in a fight.
Um, how did he turn them both over to the police then?

I mean if they BOTH took off then how did he manage to restrain both of them?

Or is it that the white kid didn't try to leave but the black kid did so he detained the one trying to leave?

Old 06-29-2017, 02:16 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,503,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Trust me, I get it. The neighborhood I grew up in went from being working-class-white to ghetto-mostly-Black-and-Guyanese after I initially moved out in 2001. Two years ago i had to move back home after being displaced by a fire in my apartment building, and lived there for 15 months. It was the worst 15 months of my life. Loud booming bass noise whenever it was nice weather, loud house parties going until after midnight, and I imagine they've already started in with the illegal fireworks (thankfully I moved out again last August!).

My parents have lived on that street since 1972, and 2016 was the first time their car had ever been vandalized. I wouldn't have threatened to kill whoever did it if I had caught them, but I would have been right up in their face demanding a satisfactory, legitimate reason as to why they were on the property. Give me a reason, or I'm calling the police.
I lived in San Francisco and watched our neighborhood crumble after a neighboring home was converted to a halfway house for boys fresh out of juvenile hall. Boys in younger and later teens just shuffling up and down the street all damn day and night long, unsupervised and uncivilized. The car traffic, the loud music, you name it. Fences got tagged. Cars were vandalized. Anything not bolted down was stolen. Flower bushes even got stripped. They committed some of the most utterly senseless and petty crimes imaginable.

One day I was home for lunch, sitting at my kitchen table which faced my driveway. I watched a boy of about 16 staggering past my home, then backing up and heading toward my car. I walked outside just in time to watch him leaning inside my driver's window, which was unrolled, pouring a can of Orange Crush all over my dash and driver's seat. I began yelling at him and watched him run down the street and into the halfway house. I called the police, filed a report, went with the police to the house, made a positive ID, and watched him be arrested on the spot. The cop asked him why he did what he did. He just shrugged his shoulders and said nothing at all. He was literally retarded from huffing paint, and had the mental capacity of a six year old. And someone thought it would be a great idea to unload a house full of these walking apes into the middle of a quiet, clean, working class neighborhood.

New wiring harness, insulation, and a detail of my car: $1300. $200 *under* my deductible, and about half of a month's wages for me at that time. It added insult to injury. Things like this happened all the time. We were supposed to just deal with it.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:53 PM

24,396 posts, read 23,050,809 times
You have some police who have this mentality that they can do whatever they want whenever they want and if they're not obeyed and respected they go ape ****.
But you also have generations now that have zero respect for the law, zero respect for authority, no ability to function in a society and no respect for anybody, especially themselves. High crime areas usually have both and this happens.
We've seen bad cops and heard the stories about thugs like Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin. Instead of pointing the finger at one or both, maybe we need to look at why society has been in a free fall the last few decades.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:53 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Kids walk on lawns and take short cuts all the time. It shouldn't be a big deal to anyone unless you have a dog or they're leaving litter or destroying your property.

This is a guy who should not be walking around with a gun and a badge.
I didn't like how the guy threatened to kill the kid. I thought that was way over the top.

I completely disagree that kids walking on someone else's yard is no big deal. If kids (especially older teens) that you don't know are walking through your yard, it can be annoying and/or uncomfortable. If it's kids that you know, it's one thing, but even still, nobody likes having people cutting through their property.

Plus, it seems like there's more to the story. A bag with a BB gun; a fight that occurred with a bunch of teens nearby; and then 2 kids in his property (not just passing by). That is going to make a person on edge. Plus, from my vantage (looking on my IPhone), this wasn't any kind of over the top brutality. He's holding the kid down and only uses more force when the kid starts trying to get up. Not the type of brutality where a cop should lose his badge, especially given the circumstances. If he was punching and beating the kid, that'd be one thing, but that's not what happened.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:19 PM

19,615 posts, read 12,212,859 times
You used to just be able to yell at the kids - Get off my lawn, but now it is dangerous to do this. A woman I know did this to kids who were smoking weed on her property and they threatened to come back with a rifle.

Now if I saw any kids hanging out in my yard I would not go outside to say anything, just call the police. If they were school kids cutting across regularly I would probably put up a fence or some type of barrier.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:20 PM

10,450 posts, read 4,034,271 times
I saw this the other day on Facebook. In my opinion, I think the whole thing is staged to just keep the tensions up between Blacks and White cops.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Wrong!!! It is not their home property, and they haven't been invited there by the homeowner.

And then there is that sticky issue known as "liability" if one of them gets hurt while on the property if they are goofing around. I'm sure you've heard of the girl who fell from the amusement park ride in upstate NY over the weekend??? It has been established that it was her fault entirely, not ride malfunction (57 years and no incidents, plus it passed THREE inspections this year), yet her parents are retaining a lawyer and not allowing her to talk to local police until their lawyer does. She was the one who caused her fall yet the park is at fault is clearly their stance.

That can go the same way if a kid gets hurt while trespassing on someone else's property.

Calm down, Gladys Kravitz, I don't have an amusement park ride in my backyard.

The occasional kid has cut through my yard for 30 years and nothing untoward has happened, so I'm not worried about it. I sure as hell am not going to turn into the old grumpy curmudgeon who has nothing better to do than to yell at kids doing what kids do. I'd rather take the risk than come across like a paranoid nutcase. Besides, that's why people have homeowners insurance and an umbrella policy.

Jesus what is wrong with people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies