Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2017, 06:27 AM
 
12,906 posts, read 15,677,230 times
Reputation: 9400

Advertisements

So, I'm historically Republican but as the parties have changed, I no longer identify with that party so at least for the last 5 years, I've had to put myself in the democrat bucket. Based on information, facts, and changing times, I think my party affiliation will continue to evolve.

That said, once I can manage to weed through the sock puppets and propaganda folks that are on the right, I have stumbled across some rational right-side posters who have caused me to do further research or question something I thought was settled in my mind. I don't think I've totally changed my mind on anything but maybe have gotten more discerning before I settle on something.

What has changed is my outlook towards American citizens. I really this board is just a microcosm of the population but, wow, there are some really cultish type people here (maybe they are the paid propagandists) and it has totally changed my views on the American citizenry. I no longer have a lot of faith in my fellow Americans. It makes me really sad.

 
Old 06-30-2017, 06:51 AM
 
22,923 posts, read 15,513,617 times
Reputation: 16962
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
So, I'm historically Republican but as the parties have changed, I no longer identify with that party so at least for the last 5 years, I've had to put myself in the democrat bucket. Based on information, facts, and changing times, I think my party affiliation will continue to evolve.

That said, once I can manage to weed through the sock puppets and propaganda folks that are on the right, I have stumbled across some rational right-side posters who have caused me to do further research or question something I thought was settled in my mind. I don't think I've totally changed my mind on anything but maybe have gotten more discerning before I settle on something.

What has changed is my outlook towards American citizens. I really this board is just a microcosm of the population but, wow, there are some really cultish type people here (maybe they are the paid propagandists) and it has totally changed my views on the American citizenry. I no longer have a lot of faith in my fellow Americans. It makes me really sad.
The problem with that viewpoint is one of "exposure". Are you similarly losing faith with your fellow Americans through your daily exposure to those you normally associate with in person? Is your interaction with them throughout your workday or social, recreation, similarly impacted?

I have found these boards can wind me up like nothing under the sun but when back to interacting with American citizens on a one to one basis, common sense reigns supreme once again. Don't misunderstand me by interpreting me as saying "they all agree with me".

What I'm trying to say is; civility and reasoned debate are still prevalent in normal social intercourse in America. It's only forums such as these where anonymity leads some to go absolutely bat-cr*p crazy with the overboard opinions holding the forefront of discussion rather than logic and reason. It's difficult to maintain a level head while responding when reading some, but I have to say, as one who has been guilty of "overreaction" myself; there have been some who have cautioned, advised, upbraided and flat out 'took me to the woodshed', who have changed my opinion on here. I'm thinking that's a healthy thing.
 
Old 06-30-2017, 07:06 AM
 
45,676 posts, read 24,061,344 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I'm convinced that when it comes to politics, it's impossible to change anyone's mind on whatever position they've taken. People have already made up their mind and only seek excuses to back their beliefs.

I grew up as a liberal, but switched to conservative sometime in my early 20s. Nobody convinced me to. I just changed my ideology after I decided to stop being so intellectually lazy.

Has anyone ever changed your mind or have you ever changed anyone else's mind when it comes to politics.
My understanding and better appreciation for opposing views has resulted from discussions.

You have to weed through the emotionally charged posts. You get to know the ones who are there just to play. They don't really ever debate the contents or context of the issue, they tend to address sweeping generalizations of groups of people and make huge assumptions and say silly things.

But for economic policy, immigration, health care, I've learned quite a bit. And I find I'm not so defined in my political ideology.

But I'm open minded (if I do say so myself). I'm not so entrenched in a partisan politics that a good argument or a good point does influence my way of thinking.
 
Old 06-30-2017, 07:08 AM
 
2,365 posts, read 2,843,058 times
Reputation: 3177
Yes I used to be a liberal democrat but switched sides after they showed no loyalty or care for Americans. And this is coming from a naturalized legal immigrant woman so I cant imagine how betrayed the American citizens might be feeling. I support LGBT, abortion & feel like we should have strict gun laws but these issues were not enough for me to overlook the blatant treason of democratic party so I left the left. Homeland security & putting Americans first are the reasons I am voting GOP throughout the ballot.
 
Old 06-30-2017, 07:08 AM
 
45,676 posts, read 24,061,344 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I'm convinced that when it comes to politics, it's impossible to change anyone's mind on whatever position they've taken. People have already made up their mind and only seek excuses to back their beliefs.

I grew up as a liberal, but switched to conservative sometime in my early 20s. Nobody convinced me to. I just changed my ideology after I decided to stop being so intellectually lazy.

Has anyone ever changed your mind or have you ever changed anyone else's mind when it comes to politics.
You could never change my mind, because of your statement (highlighted above)...you couldn't resist implying anybody that doesn't see your point of view must be intellectually lazy.

Right there - emotional, personal attack to people who think differently...not an intelligent well thought out argument.

Those are the posts that are fun to play with but will never change anybody's view point or give insight to a specific ideology or issue.
 
Old 06-30-2017, 07:09 AM
 
Location: NY/LA
4,664 posts, read 4,557,352 times
Reputation: 4140
I grew up as a conservative, then briefly flirted with libertarianism (even had a print subscription to Reason!) and would now consider myself an independent, leaning left on most issues.

When I finally changed my voter registration from (R) to (No Party Preference) last year, it was with some reluctance and sadness, but after reading some of the Trump supporters' posts in this forum (and other sites) I'm more confident than ever that it's not the party for me. Even after Trump is long gone, the fact that so many are so willing to defend his actions is anathema to me.
 
Old 06-30-2017, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa!
7,783 posts, read 6,096,198 times
Reputation: 7099
I have always looked for the logical element in opinions of how things should be or how things could be better. Logic seems to dictate longterm outcomes of policies more so than emotional points dictate them.

Thus I started out leaning to the right, because most of the arguments I had seen put forward by leftists were based on emotion, rather than logic, ignoring basic human nature. While occasionally noting some liberal's logical posts, and it making me take a closer look at their stance, for the most part, their stances have still been based on emotion.

CD has confirmed my right lean, and in fact has caused me to lean even further to the right, due to some of the most emotional posts I could have never expected from people who think they are educated.
 
Old 06-30-2017, 07:50 AM
 
45,676 posts, read 24,061,344 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I have always looked for the logical element in opinions of how things should be or how things could be better. Logic seems to dictate longterm outcomes of policies more so than emotional points dictate them.

Thus I started out leaning to the right, because most of the arguments I had seen put forward by leftists were based on emotion, rather than logic, ignoring basic human nature. While occasionally noting some liberal's logical posts, and it making me take a closer look at their stance, for the most part, their stances have still been based on emotion.

CD has confirmed my right lean, and in fact has caused me to lean even further to the right, due to some of the most emotional posts I could have never expected from people who think they are educated.
Interesting that you cite logic as your foundation but then you use highly emotionally charged opinions to defend your 'conservative' outlook.

I find both sides have posters who overly dramatize a point and usually they are the same people that only use emotionally charged statements and sweeping generalizations . They rarely will use a detail of a policy or issue to support their argument or to explain their view point.

Your point here personally attacks liberals or anyone who doesn't support your view point. You accuse them of ignoring basic human nature, having no logic.

All of this is all based on your emotional reactions to posts.

I haven't been swayed left or right in general but I have been able to learn quite a bit about opposing views and have started to change my view point on a specific policy. There are a few people here who are able to have really good debates -- from both sides. You do have to weed through it all but it is worth it.
 
Old 06-30-2017, 07:53 AM
 
25,021 posts, read 27,963,757 times
Reputation: 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I'm convinced that when it comes to politics, it's impossible to change anyone's mind on whatever position they've taken. People have already made up their mind and only seek excuses to back their beliefs.

I grew up as a liberal, but switched to conservative sometime in my early 20s. Nobody convinced me to. I just changed my ideology after I decided to stop being so intellectually lazy.

Has anyone ever changed your mind or have you ever changed anyone else's mind when it comes to politics.
I was centrist before, then a Paultard, and now a sane, intellectually superior liberal
 
Old 06-30-2017, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
39,257 posts, read 27,655,778 times
Reputation: 16084
yes.

I think there are a lot of clear thinking liberals/conservatives even on the internet.

unfortunately, there are also a lot of nasty people. (Never thought people could be so cruel like that.)
(vindictive, sneaky, etc.)

I respect a lot of CD posters here, even though they don't agree with me, a lot of them still earned my respect. I wish I can name names. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top