Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 12:07 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I don't agree with the federal government doing the job of the local police. We just took one step closer to tyranny.
LOL... Where have you been? You need to read up on some things.

Nov. 2012 - Homeland Security Uses Local Police to Set Up Surveillance Buffer Zones

After getting goodies from the feds...

First, the feds will decide where and when to deploy local police department personnel.

Second, DHS (or whichever one of the federal agencies eventually takes over law-enforcement duties) will train new recruits.

Finally, funds for this conversion from local police department to outpost of the federal law-enforcement agency will be provided by the bureaucrats on Capitol Hill. This carrot will be tied to the stick of federal control.

Nov. 2013 - DHS Creates New Fusion Centers, Taking Control of Local Police

As the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) doles out billions of dollars to convince local police departments to surrender control to the federal agency, a recent report indicates that intelligence gathered at precincts-***-surveillance-centers will be shared among all levels of law enforcement.

Fusion centers serve as hubs of strategic analysis and information sharing where Federal, State, and local agencies are all represented in one location. State and local crime data is coordinated, gathered and reviewed to determine if there is any potential connection to terrorist activity. In addition, Federal terrorism-related information is shared with State and local law enforcement.

Aug 2014 - The Best Reporting on Federal Push to Militarize Local Police

The militarization of St. Louis and other local police departments can be traced to two major sources – the federal 1033 Program, a section of the National Defense Authorization Act passed in the 1990s, as well as federal homeland security grants to states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 12:16 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I lived in chicago for over 20 years. Born and raised on the southside. Heck. A cop was killed on the block I lived on... I also have 3 family members on chicago PD. They say its hell on the streets... Chicago really just needs to bulldoze all the projects and start over. I had jury duty at cook county courthouse on California... I never seen sooooo many people in a courthouse.. had to be thousands .. a few feds won't make a difference.....

They really need to imprison people longer with violent crimes. Typically cook county release all non-violent drug offenders. The jails are so full , they only keep the worst in.
I hope your family members stay safe.

Nice to hear from someone who can say 1st hand the conditions there.
Yes, keeping them in jail/ prison off the streets is so important.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:23 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Maybe those were the only ones publicized, and there are, or will be, numerous other federal personnel silently entering the area.

This is not the Obama era where all plans are made public and the enemies can prepare themselves.

This is the Trump era where Trump brags about everything. He surely would brag about large numbers of Fed agents being sent to Chicago because he wants to take credit for it. His ego is much too large to keep it a secret.

It's a city, state and federal task force:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...630-story.html

" aimed at cutting the flow of illegal guns into the city and cracking down on people repeatedly arrested on gun charges."

Old 06-30-2017, 12:38 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
McTrump, the crime dog. He will take a tweet out of crime.
Good one

Old 06-30-2017, 12:49 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post

I have many friends and family still in Chicago. None of them feel any more or less safe than people living in any other big city. Don't let the right wing anti-Chicago hype fool you. It's only a very small part of Chicago that is experiencing this kind of gun violence, and it is all gang related. I go into Chicago on a regular basis and am never afraid for my life. Most of the city is still a nice place to live.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:52 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I tend to agree. I had thought, when President Trump had first talked about this months ago, that he had in mind some National Guard thing of walking the streets, or funding to hire a bunch of new cops.

20 people? My advise: stick together, form a ring, keep your weapons drawn, and some of you may make it out.
I thought the same thing.

What are 20 people going to do?

Old 06-30-2017, 12:53 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
One could appreciate what is going on to help and to realize there probably is a bigger picture we do not know about.
That would be a first for Trump in his entire life.

Sorry, you will be disappointed. He will probably up the number to 50 or something after a while and after the press gets on his case, but you'd be a fool to think this guy has anything up his sleeve.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:59 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:

My husband is a Chicago native. We visit there monthly, sometimes more. He grew up on the southside as well and never had any issues with violence in his personal life - never been shot at, never been stuck up, never had an issue with any gangs.

I do think that the violence in Chicago is hyped up by media. Chicago is nothing compared to it used to be back in the 1970s and 1980s in particular. One of my husband's family member was murdered in the 1970s, as was the father and uncle of a good friend of mine who is also from Chicago. Crime is way down today versus that era.

Also for the person who said they need to "bulldoze the projects" I worked in housing for many years and know people who worked for/with CHA. They have bulldozed a majority of the notorious family housing projects and/or redeveloped them. Many in the city feel this spurred the crime that is occurring today because instead of it being confined to project housing developments, those people were spread all over the city, including in formerly working-middle class predominantly black neighborhoods on the south side as those neighborhoods have seen an increase in crime.

Though statistical evidence doesn't back that assumption, many people I personally know in Chicago do think that this happening sparked more crime.

IMO the crime increase this past year is directly related to the state of Illinois, Cook County, and the City of Chicago decreasing funding for violent prevention programs like Cease Fire that was featured in the documentary "The Interrupters." The neighborhoods that saw increases in homicides in 2016 were neighborhoods that this organization was working in to combat violence and de-escalate conflicts that may lead to violence. Once they were defunded, then removed, crime increased in those neighborhoods.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:02 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
I was hoping when I first saw this that they were going to be going after the politicians there.

Place is an insanely corrupt cesspool.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:10 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
My husband is a Chicago native. We visit there monthly, sometimes more. He grew up on the southside as well and never had any issues with violence in his personal life - never been shot at, never been stuck up, never had an issue with any gangs.

I do think that the violence in Chicago is hyped up by media. Chicago is nothing compared to it used to be back in the 1970s and 1980s in particular. One of my husband's family member was murdered in the 1970s, as was the father and uncle of a good friend of mine who is also from Chicago. Crime is way down today versus that era.

Also for the person who said they need to "bulldoze the projects" I worked in housing for many years and know people who worked for/with CHA. They have bulldozed a majority of the notorious family housing projects and/or redeveloped them. Many in the city feel this spurred the crime that is occurring today because instead of it being confined to project housing developments, those people were spread all over the city, including in formerly working-middle class predominantly black neighborhoods on the south side as those neighborhoods have seen an increase in crime.

Though statistical evidence doesn't back that assumption, many people I personally know in Chicago do think that this happening sparked more crime.

IMO the crime increase this past year is directly related to the state of Illinois, Cook County, and the City of Chicago decreasing funding for violent prevention programs like Cease Fire that was featured in the documentary "The Interrupters." The neighborhoods that saw increases in homicides in 2016 were neighborhoods that this organization was working in to combat violence and de-escalate conflicts that may lead to violence. Once they were defunded, then removed, crime increased in those neighborhoods.
Good post. There is no doubt that the violence in Chicago is mostly political over-hype, born from the fact that President Obama calls Chicago home and Rahm Emanuel is the mayor. Chicago doesn't even rank in the top 100 most dangerous cities in America.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/top100dangerous

But that won't stop posters like the OP from making these politically motivated threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies