U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should transgendered individuals be able to serve in United States of America's military?
Yes 101 52.33%
No 92 47.67%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:12 AM

33,387 posts, read 20,160,217 times

Advertisements

Like Trump or not, many generals are happy with the decision too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 09:14 AM

6,522 posts, read 2,932,808 times
So what happens to the Transgender people serving currently? Do they just disappear?

For a draft dodger, trump has a lot of opinions on who is fit to serve. Personally, I'm grateful for people putting their lives on the line. I never did, so who am I to criticize soldiers for who they are?

Old 07-26-2017, 09:15 AM

34,667 posts, read 29,036,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
As a liberal, I don't really like the fact that someone who puts their life on the line for the country can't identify how they want. They're going overseas and fighting hard for ....America. (I don't really like the fact that we're in the middle east bombing random countries, but...).

On the other hand, I see why he did it. The focus should be on the military, not about "I wanna be a girl so call me Jane instead of Joe" and all of the attention goes to him/her. Not to mention, the Chelsea Manning thing too.

I'm conflicted on this decision. What are your thoughts?
I think it's discriminatory and wrong.

If they're willing to serve their country and can pass all exams like any other solider, let'em serve.

People swore he was a friend to the LGBT community. I guess not.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:15 AM

6,522 posts, read 2,932,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Like Trump or not, many generals are happy with the decision too.
Plenty of them would be happy if it were only men too. Maybe even white men.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:16 AM

16,957 posts, read 11,842,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
It's really nobody's business. Just more small government in action.

You do you, I'll do me. Why does the small government party refuse to actually govern as conservatives and instead, pander to bible thumpers?
Fine, after the very rare bird settles on a gender, has all the surgeries and chemical treatments on his own dime, then they can serve. Resent having taxpayer dollars being used to complete one's perspective of gender.

manning was the poster child for military and transgender and has left a bad taste, as a guy who exposed classified ifo, gets pardoned and still in service to pay for his surgeries so he can be whatever pronoun he chooses.

9,764 posts, read 3,176,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
So what happens to the Transgender people serving currently? Do they just disappear?

For a draft dodger, trump has a lot of opinions on who is fit to serve. Personally, I'm grateful for people putting their lives on the line. I never did, so who am I to criticize soldiers for who they are?

Obama never served in the army. Should he also have been banned from making decisions regarding it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
There's no place for "gender fluidity" in the military. The entire premise of war-ready troops is teaching them that everyone is the same and that together they comprise one unit. There is no individuality in the military. Everyone is expected to eat, sleep, pee, poop, walk, talk, and breathe the same. Without this basic sense of selflessness and autonomy, military precision does not exist.
Actually, you just made a case for gender fluidity.

If they're all supposed to act the same, then gender fluid people should be able to accomplish this easier than cisgender people.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:17 AM

33,387 posts, read 20,160,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
I would say all these concerns should be directed to those that are trans in the Military. Shane Ortega would be a good place to start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Ortega

I have been to a lecture of his (was in my venue) and it was very interesting.

Ortega has served three hostile fire combat tours, two in Iraq, one in Afghanistan, "Two as a Marine and one in the Army. Two as a woman and one as a man."[2] Ortega states, "My commitment to serving this country runs deep, I have been a team and squad leader, a Flight engineer, and a machine gun section chief."[3] Though in all three tours, he was considered female by the Department of Defense and the Army.

Ortega had executed over 400 combat missions in Iraq and Afghanistan, "and fought side-by-side in foxholes and remote operating bases."[1] Ortega quoted "I will continue to fight this fight for the 700,000 transgender veterans that have gone before me who were forced to choose between serving their country and being true to who they are."[4] Ortega notes that in a combat zone it made little difference of his gender identity as he was expected to carry his own equipment and do his job- lives counted on it.
meh

keep on fighting then. I think people should just keep it simple.

Military is about readiness. I don't doubt there are good transgender Marines or soldiers, sailors and airman. If i remember this correctly, they even have one transgendered Navy Seal.

But nothing changes the fact that keeping people suffer from chronic illness costs too much money and it is not worth it.

Maybe they should sign something says military is not responsible for their medical expenses. Is it fair? Will that stop people from crying discrimination? I don't know.

So yeah, keep it simple. If they don't allow my friend who suffers from RA from re-enlisting, (he will be fine with meds and his arthritis is really not even that severe), they shouldn't allow anybody with chronic illness to serve or re-enlist. One rule for all, or no rule at all.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Obama never served in the army. Should he also have been banned from making decisions regarding it?
He also never dodged the draft.

Huge difference.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:18 AM

16,023 posts, read 19,721,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
I would say all these concerns should be directed to those that are trans in the Military. Shane Ortega would be a good place to start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Ortega

I have been to a lecture of his (was in my venue) and it was very interesting.

Ortega has served three hostile fire combat tours, two in Iraq, one in Afghanistan, "Two as a Marine and one in the Army. Two as a woman and one as a man."[2] Ortega states, "My commitment to serving this country runs deep, I have been a team and squad leader, a Flight engineer, and a machine gun section chief."[3] Though in all three tours, he was considered female by the Department of Defense and the Army.

Ortega had executed over 400 combat missions in Iraq and Afghanistan, "and fought side-by-side in foxholes and remote operating bases."[1] Ortega quoted "I will continue to fight this fight for the 700,000 transgender veterans that have gone before me who were forced to choose between serving their country and being true to who they are."[4] Ortega notes that in a combat zone it made little difference of his gender identity as he was expected to carry his own equipment and do his job- lives counted on it.
That 700,000 transgendered Vets is quite a large number....Do you have any research that supports that number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or