U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should transgendered individuals be able to serve in United States of America's military?
Yes 101 52.33%
No 92 47.67%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
2,856 posts, read 1,451,815 times
Reputation: 2335

Advertisements

The only thing I'm thinking of this is the timing.

Two days ago, the Democrats message was flipped to "We're finally gonna start focusing on the economy and getting away from social issues and Russia".

Then Trump puts this out, and gets the Dems all outraged again . Dems can't ignore it cause the far-left base will turn on them if they don't speak out, so the focus has to go back to social issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:46 AM
 
20,179 posts, read 11,177,864 times
Reputation: 20188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Yes, but at least that makes some logical sense, as the military requires certain physical stamina. There is no logical reason that trans people are unable to serve, and indeed already do.
If they need a great deal of medical attention that makes them "not fully deployable," that would do it, just as it does for a host of other conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Warrior Country
4,577 posts, read 5,415,642 times
Reputation: 3953
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
There are between 1,320 and 6,630 transgender troops in the active-duty force of 1.3 million, according the RAND Corp. which conducted a study for the Pentagon on the issue. Of those troops, RAND estimates that between 30 and 140 would like to seek hormone treatment, and 25 to 130 would seek surgery. The estimated annual price tag: $2.4 million to $8.4 million, per year.

Treatment is estimated to cost as much as $50,000 per soldier. Treatment generally moves from counseling to hormone therapy, and in relatively rare cases, gender reassignment surgery. A military doctor must deem the treatment medically necessary.......
I just got off the phone with 10 working class adults & 10 middle class professionals (all with families) who reside in battleground states and asked them.... if they'd rather provide $2.4 Million (to $8.4 Million) for Veterans Benefits or instead, provide this money (the same amount) for Hormone Treatment (or Surgery) for Transgender Military Personnel, the results:

- 13 Preferred giving it to the Veteran Benefits.
- 5 wanted to give it to neither & reduce the budget.
- 1 wanted the money to go to a kegger he was planning in SE Ohio.
- 1 had no idea what a Transgender was....asked if he needed it to fly the Drone that he bought at Walmart.

I'm thinking this Transgender story should probably share being the Lead story on all networks for the next 60 days along with russia, russia, russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:47 AM
 
5,465 posts, read 2,022,856 times
Reputation: 6928
.
President Bone Spur is an expert at using medical excuses to skip out on military service, so this is no surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:50 AM
 
1,731 posts, read 878,907 times
Reputation: 3341
are there so many transgender people trying to join the military that he needed to tweet this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
33,336 posts, read 20,124,483 times
Reputation: 13023
Like I posted earlier, I have a friend who was not allowed to re-enlist because he was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis which is considered a chronic illness. It doesn't matter he was a damned good Marine.

It is about medical readiness. He is a straight white male if this matters. Not everything is about discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Austin TX
6,055 posts, read 3,480,602 times
Reputation: 8151
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Like I posted earlier, I have a friend who was not allowed to re-enlist because he was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis which is considered a chronic illness. It doesn't matter he was a damned good Marine.

It is about medical readiness. He is a straight white male is this matters. Not everything is about discrimination.
My sister was sent packing from the Army on a medical after she was diagnosed with a lung ailment ... AFTER serving two years without any issues at all.

It happens. People either get it, or they work hard to not get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:53 AM
 
2,333 posts, read 1,050,708 times
Reputation: 914
I don't get the treatment argument. I assume trans people in war zones now are not getting hormone therapy??? (who's giving hormone therapy in Syria) So why would it cost more to keep them? Also, if the gov't just doesn't want to pay for hormone therapy, they could easily cut it from the medical benefits - the employer can include or exclude whatever they want in their health plans. So it doesn't seem like THAT'S the reason.

Whatever the real reason is, I think he would've done himself more favors by putting out a statement with his rationale, pointed to some facts and figures, etc. instead of just a tweet so we don't have to speculate. If most of the generals agree with it, then I'm open minded but at least roll it out in a way that gives answers instead of brings up more questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
33,336 posts, read 20,124,483 times
Reputation: 13023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
My sister was sent packing from the Army on a medical after she was diagnosed with a lung ailment ... AFTER serving two years without any issues at all.

It happens. People either get it, or they work hard to not get it.
yep agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,105 posts, read 13,496,767 times
Reputation: 5783
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Keep them away from the military is just common sense stuff. Not sure why this is "political." some people argue for the sake of arguing.
So what would you say to those trans people who have already served or are serving honorably?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top