U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should transgendered individuals be able to serve in United States of America's military?
Yes 101 52.33%
No 92 47.67%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 10:10 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,537,058 times

Advertisements

Military officials say they had no knowledge at all of this. Trump DID NOT consult with ANY top generals about this.

TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE WEBSITE:

Quote:
“Transgender service members may serve openly. They may not be discharged or separated from the military solely on the basis of their gender identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 10:10 AM

13,088 posts, read 13,420,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If they need a great deal of medical attention that makes them "not fully deployable," that would do it, just as it does for a host of other conditions.
If you knew anything about the transition process, and I'm guessing you do not, the hormone step can be done through pills or shots. Neither would require any extensive medical care. Any surgery would obviously be more complicated, but any related recovery would be a few months at worst, and all soldiers get leave at some point or another.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:11 AM

32,978 posts, read 19,947,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The monetary figure given is not significant, and the associated per-soldier costs could be offset by reductions in benefits for schooling and other things. This has absolutely nothing to do with economics or readiness or military culture. This is purely a spite move to punish trans people because there is a group of people in the US who find it gross and are too lost in their own biases to educate themselves.
Fortunately, this is just your opinion, and opinion is not a fact.

I cannot speak for everybody, as a Christian, I have zero problems with transexuals or transgender people. No problems at all.

But there is no way I'd agree that they should be allowed to serve in the military. Same reason I don't believe people who suffer from bipolar should serve in the military. (Not implying transgender = mental illness)

The reason is definitely medical readiness. Nothing else.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
How about thanking them, and then going about your day.
You thank them by kicking the out and telling them that their service was meaningless because some people think who they are is gross?

Old 07-26-2017, 10:13 AM

12,639 posts, read 7,290,996 times
It's nice having a President that doesn't view the military as a laboratory for social experimentation.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:15 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,537,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

I cannot speak for everybody, as a Christian, I have zero problems with transexuals or transgender people. No problems at all.

But there is no way I'd agree that they should be allowed to serve in the military. Same reason I don't believe people who suffer from bipolar should serve in the military. (Not implying transgender = mental illness)

Does the gender identity of a person in any way hinder thwir ability to pull the trigger of an M-16?

And lilyflower, I respect you for not judging people based on their sexuality. But you know full well that there are MILLIONS of Americans that do. They are disgusted by transgender people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

If you believe they can't serve affectively in the military, then yes, you have issues with them. I've already given ways that any related transition costs could be covered, and any treatment issues wouldn't be significant if you know what's actually involved rather than what you imagine happens. You really should take the time to educate yourself on this. I have.
And yes, you just did imply that they have a mental illness with that comparison.

5,758 posts, read 3,397,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You thank them by kicking the out and telling them that their service was meaningless because some people think who they are is gross?
I'm not going to respond well to your childish foot-stomping throughout this thread. You are taking the emotional road and saying ridiculous things in an effort to have an argument with someone and I won't be that someone. I find you too annoying to bother with.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:18 AM

32,978 posts, read 19,947,148 times
Nobody is saying they are bad people. I wouldn't even say they are mentally ill. (I don't think I am qualified to diagnose them) There is even a transgender Navy Seal.

I would even say

If they do not take hormones or have a sex change operation, there’s no reason they cannot serve. To serve openly however is, probably at the expense of the US government who’ll be forced to pay for those treatments and sex change operations and psychological counseling that comes with all of that.

All these expenses add up. Plus, keeping people who suffer from chronic illness is a liability. Admit it or not.

why do some of you make it a political issue? There are a lot of straight white males have been kicked out of military for the same reason (medical readiness) we thank them by giving them service related disability benefit that they EARNED, isnt that enough? Being a transgender is not service related disability, by the way. So why military has to pay for their treatment?

Old 07-26-2017, 10:18 AM

12,639 posts, read 7,290,996 times
Let's face it. The few transgender people who enlist in the military are doing it not because of any great love of country, or dedication to the mission, but to get the government to pay for their medical treatment and transition from one sex to the other. The military doesn't need to be incurring that expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or