Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should transgendered individuals be able to serve in United States of America's military?
Yes 101 52.33%
No 92 47.67%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 08:42 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Keep them away from the military is just common sense stuff. Not sure why this is "political." some people argue for the sake of arguing.
Are you in favor of immediately discharging any/all transgender service people today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 08:43 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Except that 45's ban doesn't look at it on a case-by-case basis, does it?
It's absolutely is wholesale discrimination, no different than deciding that people of a certain gender, ethnic or racial background couldn't serve.

As was noted by someone yesterday: "First they came for the transgenders..."

And:

AMA says 'no logical reason' for Trump's ban on transgender people in military | TheHill

who is "coming for the transgenders"?

the people with gender dysphoria are being treated no different than anyone else with mental illnesses in the military by this new order

Old 07-27-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
The military is there to defend the country, period. People must meet the standards. Personal career choices take a back seat to national defense.
If these people are serving they have met the standards.
We have an all volunteer military.
If people didn't make a personal career choice to join the military, we would have no military unless the draft was reinstated.

That anyone would spit on any American willing to serve, is absolutely disgusting and yes, un-American.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:49 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If these people are serving they have met the standards.
We have an all volunteer military.
If people didn't make a personal career choice to join the military, we would have no military unless the draft was reinstated.

That anyone would spit on any American willing to serve, is absolutely disgusting and yes, un-American.
My friend has been processed out because he was diagnosed with RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) He can draw service-related disability benefit and enjoy his time in the civilian world. It is not the end of the world for him. He is no longer suitable being a Marine.

I do not agree with a blanket ban on transgender in military, but they should not be seeking sex change operation or hormone treatment while serving in the military. My two major concerns: medical readiness + cost

You should not demonize people who disagree with you.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I too am a bit conflicted on this. And the title of this thread is a bit misleading. This wasn't Trumps decision but his military leaders. That being said, I don't think this is a witch hunt against transgender people that caused this decision, I think it is more along the lines of the logistics of it. Is the military now supposed to provide separate showers, bunks, bathrooms, etc ? What happens on a Submarine, Ship etc. ? The ramifications could be costly and close to impossible.

On the other hand, we could go the way of Starship Troopers. Once you are in the military , you are a soldier , not female, not male, not gay , not transgender. You all shower together, dress together , bunk together etc.

But of course, this is all in Trumps big plan because he is racist and hates the LGTB community
Nope, it was his decision:

Pentagon caught off guard by Trump's transgender ban | Charlotte Observer

Old 07-27-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
are there so many transgender people trying to join the military that he needed to tweet this?
Probably not, but they apparently are in the way of his getting his way with regard to the border wall, so they had to be punished.

"The House on Thursday defeated a proposal that would have prevented the Pentagon from funding gender reassignment surgeries for service members.

The amendment failed in a 209-214 vote, with 24 Republicans voting against it."

House defeats bid to block Pentagon funding transgender surgeries - CNNPolitics.com

"A congressional fight over sex reassignment surgery threatened funding for his border wall."

Inside Trump’s snap decision to ban transgender troops - POLITICO

Old 07-27-2017, 09:00 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
I voted "no" as a military veteran and the mother of a career military son.

Let me post again the many conditions that don't allow an individual the "privilege" of enlisting in the military:

Medical Conditions That May Prevent You From Joining the Military | Military.com

Mental Health: https://www.thebalance.com/military-...ission-3354046

The military have standards that have to be met. No particular group should have the necessary standards waived "just because".

In the case of transgenders, it is both mental and physical, a double whammy! Gender Dysphoria: What It Is and How It's Treated

The implication seems to be that even though they would enter as not being deployable, someone else can just take their place. When a couple is in the military and both end up taking the place of a transgendered not deployable, that couple both risk their lives and most often have children at home. They must give guardianship to someone in case they are deployed. You either are up for the task and meet able to meet the possible obligations or not. To allow one group to stay behind while having someone else take their place, no, just no!

Male and female are biological and cannot be exchanged by adding or taking away. They are what they are. I do not "feel" like a woman, I am biologically a woman. "Feelings" have nothing to do with it. I could imagine that I knew what it felt like to be a tree, but I will never be a tree, not if I put leaves in my hair and wrap my body in bark.

We can pander to one group like that and just write off the standards that protect the mission.

Talking about people over 50 having health issues? Not many in the military at 50 and/or post menopausal. I think many know very little about the military, of course, that makes it easier when one has a total ignorance of what they are talking about.

I saw one female work so hard to lose weight, and she had others helping but couldn't do it and was sent home. I saw another fall apart in basic that emotionally couldn't get it together sent home. My cousin was rejected for extremely poor eyesight and was devastated. Another cousin was rejected because flat feet. I tested with a guy that desperately wanted to join but couldn't get his test scores up, finally in his 3rd try he made it just barely.

Joining the military is a privilege with entry standards that have to be met and standards that have to be maintained while in the military, it is not a "right". I can't believe that these days so many think they have a "right" to whatever they might desire.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 07-27-2017 at 09:13 AM..

Old 07-27-2017, 09:02 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I voted "no" as a military veteran and the mother of a career military son.

Let me post again the many conditions that don't allow an individual the "privilege" of enlisting in the military:

Medical Conditions That May Prevent You From Joining the Military | Military.com

Mental Health: https://www.thebalance.com/military-...ission-3354046

The military have standards that have to be met. No particular group should have the necessary standards waived "just because".

In the case of transgenders, it is both mental and physical, a double whammy! Gender Dysphoria: What It Is and How It's Treated

The implication seems to be that even though they would enter as not being deployable, someone else can just take their place. When a couple is in the military and both end up taking the place of a transgendered not deployable, that couple both risk their lives and most often have children at home. They must give guardianship to someone in case they are deployed. You either are up for the task and meet able to meet the possible obligations or not. To allow one group to stay behind while having someone else take their place, no, just no!

Male and female are biological and cannot be exchanged by adding or taking away. They are what they are. I do not "feel" like a woman, I am biologically a woman. "Feelings" have nothing to do with it. I could imagine that I knew what it felt like to be a tree, but I will never be a tree, not if I put leaves in my hair and wrap my body in bark.

We can pander to one group like that and just write off the standards that protect the mission.
I agree with this too.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
No one has a "right" to join the military.

You apply, and you are accepted or denied based on a number of different criteria.

Mental health and combat readiness not being the least of them.
Right.
And if transgender people are currently serving, that means that they met the criteria to do so.
They got through basic training and met the requirements for whatever their MOS...

So, your point would be?

Old 07-27-2017, 09:03 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There are lots of illnesses and conditions that disqualify people from being able to join the military, and many of those also would get a current service member medically discharged. Anything that requires daily medication to function is almost always a disqualifier. I was under the impression transgendered individuals, once they start taking them, actually require hormones to function normally. Just based on that alone, no, I don't they should.

The list is quite long. My sleep apnea and allergies would disqualify me...along with being overweight.
List of Military Medical Requirements for Joining the Military
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies