Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should transgendered individuals be able to serve in United States of America's military?
Yes 101 52.33%
No 92 47.67%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 07:50 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

I don't necessarily believe transgender = mental illness; nor do I believe bathroom issue is the true issue.

This is the issue here, and I have already posted it

There are between 1,320 and 6,630 transgender troops in the active-duty force of 1.3 million, according the RAND Corp. which conducted a study for the Pentagon on the issue. Of those troops, RAND estimates that between 30 and 140 would like to seek hormone treatment, and 25 to 130 would seek surgery. The estimated annual price tag: $2.4 million to $8.4 million, per year.

Treatment is estimated to cost as much as $50,000 per soldier.
Treatment generally moves from counseling to hormone therapy, and in relatively rare cases, gender reassignment surgery. A military doctor must deem the treatment medically necessary.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...gery/90331678/

It is not worth it keeping them in the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 07:51 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
No it isn't. Just like you can't join if you're obese or too old. Is that discrimination also?

In some areas being denied because you are too old or too fat is discrimination but when it comes to transgendered people in the military we are talking about a very small fraction of a percentage.

Women are just as smart as men so I think they can do amazing things in the military but I don't think they should be on the front lines fighting toe to toe and door to door.
The same goes for transgendered people. Most people join the military in their late teens, early twenties and this is a time when these young people are trying to figure themselves out and for some military service is an awakening and for others a Rude one. Toss in the confusion of a young person into a volatile mix and it is a recipe for a distracting problem.

Why should the military make special concessions to somehow fit in a transgendered person say a man that wants to be treated as a woman.

I don't think Trump should have banned them but let the military decide themselves on a case by case basis.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:55 AM

I ASSUME at least SOME Transgender people need hormones and if they have had a sex change operation they will need special treatments. On a battlefield it’s difficult enough to get ammo and food to soldiers. Hormones and treatments are simply not happening. Thus these soldiers cannot even serve in combat units or up close to the fighting without suffering. Even extended training sessions can cause them to miss treatments which could have serious ramifications.

If they do not take hormones or have a sex change operation, there’s no reason they cannot serve. To serve openly however is, probably at the expense of the US government who’ll be forced to pay for those treatments and sex change operations and psychological counseling that comes with all of that.

Not worth it to keep them in the military. It is not good for them either. Their life would be miserable in the military anyway.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:57 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,095,846 times
Someone actually standing up to the rabid Left's encroachment on normalcy? Wowsers Look for the contaminated lower courts to push back HARD on this....

Old 07-26-2017, 08:02 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Someone actually standing up to the rabid Left's encroachment on normalcy? Wowsers Look for the contaminated lower courts to push back HARD on this....

Yes, Obama put a lot of liberal/progressive activist judges on Federal courts. They love to legislate from the bench, and usurp the people's will.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:03 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
No it isn't. Just like you can't join if you're obese or too old. Is that discrimination also?
Well, yes, yes it is. Not a problem.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:03 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
I agree with sentiments expressed throughout the thread about the absolute requirement for mental preparedness for soldiers. Transgenders are not the best demographic for such service. Not saying they cannot succeed - I know a transgender who served two tours of duty in Iraq, but whom is also a very broken and battered soul today - but that the military is not an appropriate environment for people with special needs. Trans have special needs. It is what it is.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 AM

Keep them away from the military is just common sense stuff. Not sure why this is "political." some people argue for the sake of arguing.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:06 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Women are just as smart as men

I respectfully disagree. Women and men think much differently.
Mathematics, is about the only place men & women are equal.
Young girls are smarter than young boys, and some of that is how our one size fits all public schools, teach from a girls level and means of learning. Boys and girls learn much differently. Boys are hands on, let me do it learners, you can tell them to read from a book and the majority get bored and lose interest. Girls on the other hand, can read from a book, and retain what they read, but once past puberty, the young men accel. With men using experiences, evidence and rational thought, and the women using emotion & feelings to make choices.

Now, someone will throw a blanket over that, but I do know, there is always exceptions to the drawn curve of Hunter/Gatherer.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I agree with sentiments expressed throughout the thread about the absolute requirement for mental preparedness for soldiers. Transgenders are not the best demographic for such service. Not saying they cannot succeed - I know a transgender who served two tours of duty in Iraq, but whom is also a very broken and battered soul today - but that the military is not an appropriate environment for people with special needs. Trans have special needs. It is what it is.
bold is really the bottom line

Plus, There's nothing discriminatory about it. Many people have been medically forced out for conditions that came up while already serving too - and for the same reason (medical readiness).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies