U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 03:31 PM

19,693 posts, read 14,151,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
I just hung up on a friend who said the minimum wage should be $0/hr,...
Why don't US employers pay employees only the minimum wage and nothing higher?

When you can answer that question, you'll have at least some understanding of how the World works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 03:32 PM

13,088 posts, read 13,425,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I grew up in a leftist country and you tell me I don't know what leftism is?

Dude, one topic at a time.
If you think minimum wage is the equivalent of NK dictatorship, I question your capacity for rational thought.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:33 PM

30,194 posts, read 16,569,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The problem with your argument is that the number of people living in cage homes has more than doubled since the minimum wage was passed, from around 60,000 in 2010 when the minimum wage was passed to over ~210,000 today.
(The reason being that this has little to do with wages and much more to do with a massive housing crisis in Hong Kong.)
And there's always been a housing crisis in Hong Kong. It is very heavily populated (because people like living in freedom). When I was there, people were living on rooftops (probably still are).

Old 07-01-2017, 03:36 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,794,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Minimum wage was passed by the racist Democrats to keep blacks out of the workforce and it still is.
Can you explain how that works?

How does a minimum wage keep Blacks out of the workforce?

Please explain. I'd be interested to hear that theory.

18,543 posts, read 9,541,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
If you think minimum wage is the equivalent of NK dictatorship, I question your capacity for rational thought.
My goodness. Minimum wage is not NK style leftist dictatorship? If there's no dictatorship - with threat of violence, why would any employer obey?

30,194 posts, read 16,569,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Of course it has to do with wages and benefits. Its the same situation in Singapore which also has no minimum wage. They do have public housing though, which is something libertarians hate. But they have ultra low taxes, no minimum wage and non-existent unions. Wages for huge numbers of people in HK are abysmally low. And backbreaking work means many have to retire early. With hardly any security for retirement because of ultra low wages and non-existent benefits over many decades, the libertarian dream. As more and more low wage workers enter retirement, cage home dwellers will only increase, even though the minimum wage has been implemented. This is the libertarian reality.
Benefits are something that came along in the 50's or early 60's in order to attract talented people.

12,729 posts, read 4,598,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

When you can answer that question, you'll have at least some understanding of how the World works.
Why should people who for various reasons cant get another and better paying job have to suffer just to make right wingers feel good about their own position in life? The world "works" the way that employers pay whatever they can get away with. In Denmark, McDonald's pay $18 an hour and 5 weeks paid vacation to all their employees. Its the law. In the US, they dont. As workers have less leverage and weaker or non-existent unions, of course workers will suffer. The whole point of oligarchy is to ensure that workers are desperate and will obey their masters. Paul Ryan was quite clear about the dangers of employers not being able to chain their employees through employer health insurance; it would make workers less compliant.

Last edited by PCALMike; 07-01-2017 at 03:44 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 03:38 PM

18,543 posts, read 9,541,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Can you explain how that works?

How does a minimum wage keep Blacks out of the workforce?

Please explain. I'd be interested to hear that theory.
Simple. Blacks at the time were uneducated and couldn't produce more value than the minimum wage dictated. So employers were forced to hire more capable white employees.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:38 PM

13,088 posts, read 13,425,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Your question is dumb. Many, man, many employers only pay the minimum wage, and without one, there is no reasonable expectation that they wouldn't pay even less. If you think that capitalism will prevent that, who are you trying to kid? Companies intentionally leave the US to be able to pay workers far less, so without minimum wage, perhaps those companies would stay in the US, possible meaning more jobs, but those jobs would be low-wage and offer a standard of living equivalent to or below the US poverty line. I'm not sure creating more poor people is going to make the country stronger, especially as a consumer-driven economy, and seemingly one in which many conservatives want to see fewer people on public assistance.
Of course, you're also going after those programs too, so the end result would be more people making less money with no more public assistance. I can't wait to see the bread lines.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:39 PM

12,729 posts, read 4,598,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Benefits are something that came along in the 50's or early 60's in order to attract talented people.
It "came along" in the heyday of American unionism. Thats not surprising of course. Strong unions and stronger trust in public institutions go hand in hand. When unions were crushed starting in the 1980s, public trust in public institutions went south, just as expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or