U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 02:03 PM

18,553 posts, read 9,544,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
It is called exploitation.

That is why we have laws against child labor, laws for occupational safety, and laws for a minimum wage.

This is about real people, not some heartless ideology.
So when you do it, it's good sense; when employers shop for cheaper products, it's exploitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 02:06 PM

3,251 posts, read 899,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
I just hung up on a friend who said the minimum wage should be $0/hr, same if working or not. So, he seems to think he should be forced to become homeless, and dig rotten food out of neighbors dumpsters, even if a law prevents that. He seems to feel sorry for the people who have only $10 billion.

Is Trump promoting these feelings, or where are they coming from?
I have a co-worker who thinks the exact same way. Don't think it's Trump, because I have known this guy for 18 years, and he's been spouting this nonsense since way back then. But, this guy is a complete nuts. I am completely against the US being involved with other county's affairs, and I hate that we are trying to dictate how the Middle East and African countries should operate. He on the other hand, is all for invading. Or, even better yet (in his words) nuke the the countries and just go in and suck up the oil. So yeah, he's a whack job.

I don't think the 0 dollars minimum is a good idea. But I don't like the idea of forcing companies to pay up and treat their employees better because they always have options, like packing up and moving their businesses and work force out of the area or country. I think it would be smarter to reward businesses that want to provide stuff like advanced education, healthcare, bonuses, vacations and sick days.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:19 PM

3,913 posts, read 1,191,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I have a co-worker who thinks the exact same way. Don't think it's Trump, because I have known this guy for 18 years, and he's been spouting this nonsense since way back then. But, this guy is a complete nuts. I am completely against the US being involved with other county's affairs, and I hate that we are trying to dictate how the Middle East and African countries should operate. He on the other hand, is all for invading. Or, even better yet (in his words) nuke the the countries and just go in and suck up the oil. So yeah, he's a whack job.

I don't think the 0 dollars minimum is a good idea. But I don't like the idea of forcing companies to pay up and treat their employees better because they always have options, like packing up and moving their businesses and work force out of the area or country. I think it would be smarter to reward businesses that want to provide stuff like advanced education, healthcare, bonuses, vacations and sick days.
We shouldn't reward anyone or anything, I don't want my tax money funding that. Let the free market take it's own course.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:29 PM

18,553 posts, read 9,544,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post

The real nut jobs are those who support the minimum wage.

How in anyway forcing people at gunpoint to buy product and service at the above fair market rate is moral, just, ethical and fair?

How is it even moral, just and fair for the minimum wage workers to receive payment above the fair market rate?

The funniest part is that those nut jobs actually think they can get what they want.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:29 PM

6,251 posts, read 2,668,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Exactly! Which is just what the unions have been getting away with for decades.
The average American was more prosperous when they had bargaining power until Corporate Globalists took over DC

These are the people that brought us trade with Communist and third world countries where workers have no rights. Labor is at the bottom when it comes to purchasing politicians.

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/to...=a&indexType=c

TOP LOBBYING SECTORS

Misc Business $6,475,074,239
Health $6,382,737,984
Finance/Insur/RealEst $6,361,287,751
Communic/Electronics $5,206,690,371
Energy/Nat Resource $4,706,049,338
Other $3,350,694,508
Transportation $3,219,680,597
Ideology/Single-Issue $2,073,159,556
Agribusiness $1,910,858,997
Defense $1,819,714,550
Construction $694,573,137
Labor $629,156,951
Lawyers & Lobbyists $429,259,405

Old 07-02-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
It "came along" in the heyday of American unionism. Thats not surprising of course. Strong unions and stronger trust in public institutions go hand in hand. When unions were crushed starting in the 1980s, public trust in public institutions went south, just as expected.
We started going downhill once Corporate and Banking Lobbyists took over DC in the 70s.
It has been great for the top elite

How Corporate Lobbyists Conquered American Democracy
How Corporate Lobbyists Conquered American Democracy, page 1

Prior to the 1970's, there were less than 200 Corporate and Banking Lobby Offices in Washington DC.
Today, these offices number in the thousands.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:39 PM

18,664 posts, read 7,254,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
We started going downhill once Corporate and Banking Lobbyists took over DC in the 70s.
It has been great for the top elite

How Corporate Lobbyists Conquered American Democracy
How Corporate Lobbyists Conquered American Democracy, page 1

Prior to the 1970's, there were less than 200 Corporate and Banking Lobby Offices in Washington DC.
Today, these offices number in the thousands.
LOL. Game changer is automation. That phone number you call to pay a bill was once a live CSR. Book a hotel or plane = live travel agent. Get $50 at a bank-teller, not ATM. My last 5 cashiers this week were ME, at a self checkout.

We figured out how to automate rote tasks.

To stay employed, one best be doing higher level work which would require advanced ai to replicate.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The unions crushed themselves by treating employers as the enemy.
Not true
It will always be more profitable to use labor that have no rights under Communism vs labor that do have rights under Capitalism

Old 07-02-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Keep telling yourself that. Unions are always the first to be attacked by any rational oligarchy when given the power to do so. The reason for that is obvious. Throughout history, in every developed country, a strong union movement has been pivotal to a more democratic, peaceful and civilized society. Thats why unions are such a massive threat to the ruling donor class. It threatens the power, privilege and status of the elite.
Yep, he is supporting the Global Elite knowingly or not

David Rockefeller
The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:04 PM

33,046 posts, read 21,956,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
We shouldn't reward anyone or anything, I don't want my tax money funding that. Let the free market take it's own course.

Sounds good IF you let the free market take its own course in HOUSING. Deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or