Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 05:50 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Good points. The million dollar question is how to fix it, barring leaving those affected to their own devices?
I don't now how to fix it in earnest. Truth is, I can only give an academic answer. I've never really lived in a ghetto. I've read about ghettos. I've studied migration patterns. I've listened to stories about people who have made it out of the ghetto. However, I've never LIVED in that environment. The closest I've come to that was living in an old apartment complex. Crime did exist there. That counted as my "ghetto" experience and it while it isn't a place I would live in, I know of much worse places. My experience with a ghetto was commuting through the worst parts of Atlanta to go to work. It was working in a really rough area where prostitutes, homeless people, and gangsters frequented. And it was around an industrial area. I personally don't know what to do. I'm a suburban-raised Black person struggling to answer for any of this. All I can say is that those who want better for themselves, resources should be there to facilitate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Really?

More people are killed by gang thugs than any other group.

Why 2016 Has Been Chicago's Bloodiest Year in Almost Two Decades

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ours/99864262/

More people are murdered by Chicago thugs in a single year than all mass murders and serial killings (excluding 9/11) over the last 20 years combined.

Glad Trump is sending in the troops to help stop the madness.
Troops have been sent into places like Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Newark, Los Angeles, etc. Of course, this happened after riots. You can't send troops unless gangs are classified as terrorists. And many of these murders have alot to do with "he disrespected me, so I'm going to kill him".

Old 07-28-2017, 05:58 AM

2,309 posts, read 901,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Mass shootings = An American way of life.
EU too since they get more mass shootings than we do.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:43 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Troops have been sent into places like Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Newark, Los Angeles, etc. Of course, this happened after riots. You can't send troops unless gangs are classified as terrorists. And many of these murders have alot to do with "he disrespected me, so I'm going to kill him".
The whole topic is politicized when the bottom line is that it's gangs and drugs isolated mostly to a couple bad neighborhoods with limited opportunity for many youths.

The people running the cities of course blame whatever they can to pass the buck...usually guns and the rural areas around them. Ironically the rural areas and even others parts of the city have the same level of guns (or more) but vastly lower gun violence.

Trumps troops statement of course just a political jab.

What's interesting is that (for example) Chicago could just roll along with 500 murders but if they have 600+ some year then it gets attention and everyone piles on politically. The mayor starts a big CYA campaign and whines about guns, they have some marches and they blame the rural republican parts of the state.

That's been going on since at least the 1970's.

They just need to BS long enough for the spike to go back down so they can go back to ignoring the projects and letting them self police with bullets.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The whole topic is politicized when the bottom line is that it's gangs and drugs isolated mostly to a couple bad neighborhoods with limited opportunity for many youths.

The people running the cities of course blame whatever they can to pass the buck...usually guns and the rural areas around them. Ironically the rural areas and even others parts of the city have the same level of guns (or more) but vastly lower gun violence.

Trumps troops statement of course just a political jab.

What's interesting is that (for example) Chicago could just roll along with 500 murders but if they have 600+ some year then it gets attention and everyone piles on politically. The mayor starts a big CYA campaign and whines about guns, they have some marches and they blame the rural republican parts of the state.

That's been going on since at least the 1970's.

They just need to BS long enough for the spike to go back down so they can go back to ignoring the projects and letting them self police with bullets.
The people running the city are interested in getting their pockets lined. Those persons don't really know what to do about the violence. All they know how to do is get elected.

As a side note, Chicago used to get 700, 800, 900+ murders per year back in the 70s and 80s. Chicago was even more gang infested. It just gets more attention these days.

The rural areas, I will say this. Even some rural areas are seeing rises in crime. Much of it tied to opiates and meth.

I think you've mentioned that most of Chicago's murders occur in 5 of Chicago's 25 police precincts, it might have been another person. It is alot of murders taking place in a few areas. And those areas are often the places that see it year after year. People start to worry when it hits outside of those areas. Example: Salt Lake City, UT, the early 1990s.

Gangs starting going to Salt Lake City in the 1980s, and by the 1990s, the city had a problem. It was easily ignored when it was just Rose Park getting the problems. It stopped being ignored when a kid from the suburbs got killed by a gang member, when a shooting took place at the Pioneer Days celebration under the guise of fireworks.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:15 PM

Gang violence is nothing new in Little Rock.

60 Minutes In Little Rock's War Zone - tribunedigital-chicagotribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies