Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:21 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,400 times

Advertisements

Premiums and Tax Credits Under the Affordable Care Act vs. the American Health Care Act: Interactive Maps | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Looks like the Republicans in Western Nebraska, Alaska and Wyoming will be paying top dollar for health-care as opposed to people in Los Angeles and Boston who will pay the price of a cup of coffee per day for health-care.

Los Angeles for example with so many young people on health exchanges in California and the risk so spread out will only pay $650 a year for a 40 year old making $50,000 a year.

In the Boston suburbs according to the map, 40 year olds would pay $390 a year for coverage.

In many of the counties in Western Nebraska they are expected to pay $6,150 under Republicans American Health Care Act.

I wonder if rural Nebraskans will enjoy paying paying 8 times as much as Maxine Waters Los Angeles and 15 times more then Elizabeths Warren's Massachusetts.

Many of these hospitals are also run-down old-dumps in rural America. People in Los Angeles have Cedar-Sanai and Bostonians have world-class hospitals a dime a dozen.

The population is also aging big time out there also so the premium for a 60 year old in Republican Western Nebraska would be $20,000, compared to about $6,400 in Los Angeles.

GOP Medicaid Cuts Would Hit Rural Hospitals And Patients Hard : Shots - Health News : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 10:26 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
It's sad, but the adversely affected locales were mostly the ones who voted for politicians who would let this happen, so...they're getting what they wanted, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 07-01-2017, 10:42 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,954,406 times
That's the smell of freedom.

And unfortunately, also death.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:47 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,267,585 times
I count my lucky stars that me and my family live in California where we have access to affordable quality healthcare.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:06 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,956,918 times
And that's assuming they will even have access to quality care. Rural hospitals are largely dependent on Medicaid reimbursements to keep to doors open. Closures and cutbacks were problems prior to the ACA, but this Republican bill will decimate rural healthcare service.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:11 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,490,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
And that's assuming they will even have access to quality care. Rural hospitals are largely dependent on Medicaid reimbursements to keep to doors open. Closures and cutbacks were problems prior to the ACA, but this Republican bill will decimate rural healthcare service.
They are also dependant on immigrant doctors.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:16 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,101,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
I count my lucky stars that me and my family live in California where we have access to affordable quality healthcare.
I say the same thing about living in New York

I've noticed a recurring theme with posters complaining about Obamacare. They all live in either rural states that likely had very limited options to begin with (low population = small market), or they live in Republican dominated states that refused to accept the additional Medicaid funding. Their governors and state legislatures played politics with the well being of the very people who elected them. That's despicable.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:16 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Pretty much.

Why is rural health insurance so high? Is it because of the health situations/claims of rural folks?

Old 07-01-2017, 11:20 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I say the same thing about living in New York

I've noticed a recurring theme with posters complaining about Obamacare. They all live in either rural states that likely had very limited options to begin with (low population = small market), or they live in Republican dominated states that refused to accept the additional Medicaid funding. Their governors and state legislatures played politics with the well being of the very people who elected them. That's despicable.
I made that observation weeks ago too. Where's this $1000 plan with $10k deductible? Not in my region, lol! This is what happens when you shrink insurance pools. The bigger the pool, the lower the price. Which is why we need Medicare for all

Old 07-01-2017, 11:21 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Pretty much.

Why is rural health insurance so high? Is it because of the health situations/claims of rural folks?
I'm gonna take a stab at it and say it's probably due to the much smaller insurance pool, and probably higher incidence of sick folks. Smoking and drinking are very prevalent among the rural population, and they don't have healthy middle class suburban consumers to subsidize their insurance pool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies