Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 09:47 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times

Advertisements

I read two articles this morning about this subject - both of them from highly experienced journalists in well known publications. In many ways they are saying the same thing - they are very concerned about Journalism in America today. They approach it from different directions Right~vs~Left -- BUT they are worried and they should be very worried if they are concerned at all about the survival of the Press as we "used to know it". We are in uncharted Territory - I've never seen anything like it AND neither have these 2 writers. It's serious business that the Media has lost respect and worse - Lost TRUST. Try to keep an open mind as you read both.

The article in The Atlantic (Left Media) is titled:

How the Left Lost Its Mind ~ Polemicists, conspiracists, and outright fabulists are feeding an alternative media landscape—where the implausibility of a claim is no bar to its acceptance. |The Atlantic - 6/2/17

Last month, Democratic Senator Ed Markey delivered what seemed like an explosive bit of news during an interview with CNN: A grand jury had been impaneled in New York, he said, to investigate the Trump campaign’s alleged collusion with Russia.

The only problem: It wasn’t true.

The precise origins of the rumor are difficult to pin down, but it had been ricocheting around social media for days before Markey’s interview. The story had no reliable sourcing, and not a single credible news outlet touched it—but it had been fervently championed by The Palmer Report, a liberal blog known for peddling conspiracy theories, and by anti-Trump Twitter crusaders like Louise Mensch. Soon enough, prominent people with blue checkmarks by their names were amplifying it with “Big if true”-type Tweets. And by May 11, the story had migrated from the bowels of the internet to the mouth of a United States senator.

After Markey’s office apologized for spreading the unsubstantiated story, there was a mild flurry of articles warning of “fake news” aimed at the left, and then everyone moved on. But the episode jarringly illustrated an under-examined phenomenon in American politics.

In the comments section after the article, most of the Leftists did not like the article - a few were concerned about the direction of Media as I believe the author is concerned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The other article I read this morning was in the New York Post written by what I would consider a Conservative or at least leans Right - very, very experienced long time Journalist - Michael Goodman.

Why the media has broken down in the age of Trump |New York Post - 7/1/2017

I’ve been a journalist for a long time. Long enough to know that it wasn’t always like this. There was a time not so long ago when journalists were trusted and admired. We were generally seen as trying to report the news in a fair and straightforward manner. Today, all that has changed. For that, we can blame the 2016 election or, more accurately, how some news organizations chose to cover it. Among the many firsts, last year’s election gave us the gobsmacking revelation that most of the mainstream media puts both thumbs on the scale—that most of what you read, watch, and listen to is distorted by intentional bias and hostility. I have never seen anything like it. Not even close.

It’s not exactly breaking news that most journalists lean left. I used to do that myself. I grew up at The New York Times, so I’m familiar with the species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 09:50 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
If that is true then the GOP has Breitbart and the National Enquirer.
Don't forget Fox - which is basically the propaganda wing for the Trump White House.

According to conservatives, the only media to be trusted is the media that says their Dear Leader can do no wrong.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:52 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
How come Democrats trust the media more than Independents and Republicans
Because they are zealots in the same crusade.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:54 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
That is not really true.

I do not trust Fox News, Breitbart, Zero Hedge, Newsmax, Drudge, Hannity in particular, Gateway Pundit, WND, and many others.

So one cannot really say Dems trust the media.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:59 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
I think it's more interesting to really look at the numbers.

Overall, trust in the media is at an all time low, resting at 32%. Most Americans don't trust the media, and in my humble opinion, that's more important that dividing this into party lines.

By party line, 51% of Democrats, 14% of Republicans, and 30% of Independents (is it a coincidence that Independent's view is more similar to national average? Probably not...) view the media favorably. This means just over half of Democrats trust the media, which has apparently been the case for a while. Last year, 55% of Democrats viewed the media favorably, while 32% of Republicans view the media favorably (and 33% for independents).

The Republicans had the steepest decline.

In 2000, 53% of Democrats and 47% of Republicans trusted the media.

Also worth noting, age demographics play a role, with ages 18-49 having 26% trust, while 50+ has 38% trust (both down from last year, at 36% and 45% respectively).

The poll was conducted with a random sample of 1,020 adults, and has a 4 point margin of error.

Point being, trust in the media is in decline overall. I'd imagine making this about party vs party would ultimately make that trust go down, not up.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:15 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
The decline in trust is because some people are rational enough to understand that all "media" and "news" has become more a source of editorial content posing as "news" than anything else. Most people can see clearly that everything we are being spoon-fed is a result of the agenda of the particular outlet in question.

Not that "news" can every be truly "objective" in the true sense of the word. Everyone is biased, whether intentionally or subconsciously, and no person has an omniscient viewpoint as no person has access to all possible information.

The only way to get even remotely close to objectivity and "truth" is to absorb as much information from as many very diverse "conflicting" outlets as possible. Taking in as much "garbage" as possible and then trying to makes sense of all of the half-truths and bias, one might get a mere whiff of reality...

Old 07-02-2017, 10:54 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
The only way to get even remotely close to objectivity and "truth" is to absorb as much information from as many very diverse "conflicting" outlets as possible. Taking in as much "garbage" as possible and then trying to makes sense of all of the half-truths and bias, one might get a mere whiff of reality...
Agreed. Most people are too lazy to do the above. They just pick their favorite outlet(s) that they mostly agree with and then call the other outlets propaganda. We see that right here on this thread. Other people watch biased news outlets, but mine is objective & truthful.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:38 AM

608 posts, read 516,218 times
This is something that I have noticed for quite a while now. It seems a lot of people just don't see bias that they agree with. I'm not singling out one side or the other because I see it from both sides. I read often from both sides accusing fox, cnn, msnbc etc. of being biased. The truth is that they all are, and people are attracted to news sources that share their biases. I know I am because I can only listen to sources that I disagree with for so long at a time. Bias can be as simple as preferring one ice cream flavor over another, so bias isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:41 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Don't forget Fox - which is basically the propaganda wing for the Trump White House.

According to conservatives, the only media to be trusted is the media that says their Dear Leader can do no wrong.

the idea that Fox is the only "bad" network while CNN and MSNBC are bastions of truth is over now. Sorry

Old 07-02-2017, 11:47 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Bingo ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ close the thread we have a winner. Move to table 3 for blackjack.
Wow, I didn't even know there was a contest for the most unsupported by anything factual statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies