U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 12:12 PM

37,898 posts, read 14,764,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Wow, I didn't even know there was a contest for the most unsupported by anything factual statement.
I didn't either.

But there should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 12:18 PM

22,802 posts, read 12,182,899 times
I moved to the USA in 1997 and from what I have seen, the Republicans/Conservatives in general are the creators and source of conspiracy theories like crazy. The reason so many want guns is because they don't trust anybody....their spouses, their neigbhors, their community, their govt...yeah even the ones they vote for.

So that makes sense.

Healthy skepticism is good......paranoia will destroy you.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:16 PM

11,928 posts, read 5,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
The decline in trust is because some people are rational enough to understand that all "media" and "news" has become more a source of editorial content posing as "news" than anything else. Most people can see clearly that everything we are being spoon-fed is a result of the agenda of the particular outlet in question.

Not that "news" can every be truly "objective" in the true sense of the word. Everyone is biased, whether intentionally or subconsciously, and no person has an omniscient viewpoint as no person has access to all possible information.

The only way to get even remotely close to objectivity and "truth" is to absorb as much information from as many very diverse "conflicting" outlets as possible. Taking in as much "garbage" as possible and then trying to makes sense of all of the half-truths and bias, one might get a mere whiff of reality...
Totally agree with everything you wrote - I'm a news junkie and have been for years.
I not only read all viewpoints - I check out the ownership and the authors.

Anyone that only reads a single source or a single viewpoint - lives in an echo chamber and participates in Group Think. That's foolish, no matter where you stand on issues.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:52 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,284,355 times
When I watch a news channel, I don't feel like I'm putting any trust into it. My life isn't on the line if they got their facts wrong. It's just a way to keep up on the latest stories in an entertaining fashion.

Besides, I can decipher what's fact or fiction. And although they often report news with an emotional slant, I'm not seeing outright lies. If that was the case Trump could sue them which he hasn't.

Another thing is I have a nice flat screen TV and Dish satellite, a want to get my use out of it. And it's all laid out real nice too, I can eat dinner while watching and don't have to touch a mouse.

And lastly, I like Lester Holt, he has a gentle comforting voice. It's just part of my routine I guess.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:12 PM

25,959 posts, read 28,369,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
When I watch a news channel, I don't feel like I'm putting any trust into it. My life isn't on the line if they got their facts wrong. It's just a way to keep up on the latest stories in an entertaining fashion.

Besides, I can decipher what's fact or fiction. And although they often report news with an emotional slant, I'm not seeing outright lies. If that was the case Trump could sue them which he hasn't.

Another thing is I have a nice flat screen TV and Dish satellite, a want to get my use out of it. And it's all laid out real nice too, I can eat dinner while watching and don't have to touch a mouse.

And lastly, I like Lester Holt, he has a gentle comforting voice. It's just part of my routine I guess.
Often the deception is more about the things that get little or no news coverage instead of the things that do.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:08 PM

9,715 posts, read 3,128,348 times
This is interesting since I've been told everyone trusts the media over Trump

Old 07-06-2017, 10:59 AM

26,298 posts, read 8,939,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Agreed. Most people are too lazy to do the above. They just pick their favorite outlet(s) that they mostly agree with and then call the other outlets propaganda. We see that right here on this thread. Other people watch biased news outlets, but mine is objective & truthful.
That's why the uninformed vote is the most sought-after decider of elections.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:58 AM

10,930 posts, read 5,006,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/296003-poll-trust-in-media-at-all-time-low
The title is incorrect - it's that they put trust in different media.

Pew found (Political Polarization & Media Habits) that people on the liberal side of the scale tended to put trust in more media outlets, whereas those on the conservative side tended to put trust more consistently in a very small slice of media outlets.

This figure is interesting and illustrative of this point: Trust Levels of News Sources by Ideological Group | Pew Research Center

Quote:
Overall, the study finds that consistent conservatives:
  • Are tightly clustered around a single news source, far more than any other group in the survey, with 47% citing Fox News as their main source for news about government and politics.
  • Express greater distrust than trust of 24 of the 36 news sources measured in the survey. At the same time, fully 88% of consistent conservatives trust Fox News.
  • Are, when on Facebook, more likely than those in other ideological groups to hear political opinions that are in line with their own views.
  • Are more likely to have friends who share their own political views. Two-thirds (66%) say most of their close friends share their views on government and politics.

By contrast, those with consistently liberal views:
  • Are less unified in their media loyalty; they rely on a greater range of news outlets, including some – like NPR and the New York Times– that others use far less.
  • Express more trust than distrust of 28 of the 36 news outlets in the survey. NPR, PBS and the BBC are the most trusted news sources for consistent liberals.
  • Are more likely than those in other ideological groups to block or “defriend” someone on a social network – as well as to end a personal friendship – because of politics.
  • Are more likely to follow issue-based groups, rather than political parties or candidates, in their Facebook feeds.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:31 PM

715 posts, read 286,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Media and democrats are the same team. Media is the "offense', Democrats are the "defense".

Just like the TASS "news agency" in Russia. Its (Deep) State run media, an America hating, political propaganda machine. .
Wait a minute, I thought that RT, TASS and Putin were the new conservative's trusted news sources now that we have a president who's heavily invested in Russia. Get with the program...

Old 07-06-2017, 12:34 PM

6,523 posts, read 1,925,125 times
Possibly because Democrats, who tend to have more respect for education, carefully choose their news sources. I know that I choose respected, reputable news sources - the kind that Trump denigrates - but perhaps Republicans secretly know that their sources, like Fox and Limbaugh and Alex Jones, are wacky and unreliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or