U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 05:26 PM

14 posts, read 4,189 times

Advertisements

Good for Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 05:50 PM

7,982 posts, read 2,739,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
why, do you want me to congratulate you on your success?...if so, then congratulations
Life isn't fair.

It's not supposed to be fair.

And misguided Liberal attempts to make life fair never result in any type of fairness.

Because the Liberal way always means than in order to lift someone up, someone else must be torn down

Those who work for what they have must pay to give to those who do not or will not.

The responsible must always pay the way of the irresponsible. .

Last edited by FatBob96; 07-03-2017 at 05:58 PM..

Old 07-03-2017, 06:17 PM

30,893 posts, read 13,428,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Life isn't fair.
And misguided Liberal attempts to make life fair never result in any type of fairness.
Because the Liberal way always means than in order to lift someone up, someone else must be torn down
Those who work for what they have must pay to give to those who do not or will not.
I grew up in a blue collar household, my parents supported us well but never really got ahead. I got married before I finished college and had 2 kids. My husband left after 12 years of marriage, I was left with a mortgage, a car payment, 2 young boys and $4,000 in credit card debt that he ran up after he moved out. He quit his job and moved to another state to avoid paying child support. I worked two jobs and slept when the kids were in school. I paid all my bills and I never got one cent in any public assistance. I went back to school and got my masters degree. I got an excellent job in law enforcement, retired when I was 51 started a second career and retired again when I was 64. I have substantial savings and investments, and I get a pension that exceeds what most people get in their pay check. So, thanks Bob, but I don't need your lecture.

And yes, I am liberal and yes I do care about people other than myself. Maybe that's because I've walked in their shoes, or maybe it's because when I was little, hobos used to go to my grandmother's back door and ask for food and even though she was poor she always fed them, sometimes only a cup of coffee and a piece of bread but they always got something. People would chastise her and tell her that "those bums can get jobs, don't give them your food" to which she always answered by reciting Matthew 25:35-40, and then she would add "Jesus said we should help people, I don't remember anything in the bible about how we should decide who is worthy of our help"

Old 07-03-2017, 06:39 PM

27,125 posts, read 15,672,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think minimum wages are necessary, but the $15 that the far left wants is too high. Likewise, most conservatives would prefer $7 or even lower if possible. I think $10 is a good balance at this point in time.
I think it depends on the area. Diabetes is looking for $15, I think Phoenix, Tuscon, Tempe, Mesa and Scottsdale should too IMO but the suburbs like Surprise or rural areas like Buckeye or Chinle should stay at $10, 11, 12 over the next few years. Sadly state-owned is ran by cities no matter the state.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:59 PM

7,982 posts, read 2,739,768 times
Quote:
I grew up in a blue collar household, my parents supported us well but never really got ahead. I got married before I finished college and had 2 kids. My husband left after 12 years of marriage, I was left with a mortgage, a car payment, 2 young boys and $4,000 in credit card debt that he ran up after he moved out. He quit his job and moved to another state to avoid paying child support. I worked two jobs and slept when the kids were in school. I paid all my bills and I never got one cent in any public assistance. I went back to school and got my masters degree. I got an excellent job in law enforcement, retired when I was 51 started a second career and retired again when I was 64. I have substantial savings and investments, and I get a pension that exceeds what most people get in their pay check. So, thanks Bob, but I don't need your lecture.

And yes, I am liberal and yes I do care about people other than myself. Maybe that's because I've walked in their shoes, or maybe it's because when I was little, hobos used to go to my grandmother's back door and ask for food and even though she was poor she always fed them, sometimes only a cup of coffee and a piece of bread but they always got something. People would chastise her and tell her that "those bums can get jobs, don't give them your food" to which she always answered by reciting Matthew 25:35-40, and then she would add "Jesus said we should help people, I don't remember anything in the bible about how we should decide who is worthy of our help"

There's certainly nothing wrong with helping others, and Conservatives prove that by consistently give more to charity than Liberals even think of giving.

The problem comes when Liberals want to legislate mandatory "charity" through the force of government ....always with other people's money of course.

You want to help others? Great!!
You want to demand that I do the same?........not so much.

If you rob me at gunpoint, it makes no difference if you use the money for selfish or noble purposes, theft is still theft.

If people want $15.00/hr , then they need to do what's necessary to make themselves worth $15.00/hr to an employer.

Because there is no law that government can pass that can do that for them.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:17 PM
AFP

6,891 posts, read 4,192,627 times
Good to know I'll be sure not to spend my dollars in Missouri. It's now on my flyover list.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:20 PM

18,534 posts, read 9,533,248 times
Quote:
Could you answer my question first please? I repeat it for you:

Is there any government mandate that how CEOs must be compensated? Is there any collusion among companies about how a CEO must be paid? This is highly illegal, so if you have evidence, let's see it.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:15 PM

30,893 posts, read 13,428,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Could you answer my question first please? I repeat it for you:

Is there any government mandate that how CEOs must be compensated? Is there any collusion among companies about how a CEO must be paid? This is highly illegal, so if you have evidence, let's see it.
There is no mandate regarding CEO compensation, but I am suggesting that mandating a more reasonable ratio of CEO to worker pay would result in raising workers pay or reducing CEO pay, or maybe doing both. It's not been tried so I don't know if it is "illegal" it would certainly require legislation to implement it- or another way to accomplish it would be make tax breaks to corporations contingent on their maintaining a reasonable ratio of CEO salary to worker pay

Old 07-03-2017, 09:59 PM

33,046 posts, read 21,944,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Life isn't fair.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? In most states, rental property is taxed at higher rates than owner-occupied homes. So landlords and tenants pay for irresponsible owner-occupant homeowners?

Old 07-03-2017, 10:06 PM

33,046 posts, read 21,944,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That's what you get when you don't vote. At some point, this comes down to personal responsibility. Many people that these laws affect don't vote and hence the Republican legislature fears nothing from passing these laws. I've witnessed similar things in Arizona. The Hispanic community doesn't vote here thus politicians fear nothing from passing or trying to pass laws that discriminate against them.

It comes down to personal responsibility. This is what you get when you don't vote. And stop blaming voter suppression laws. There are plenty of states that offer voting through mail in ballots so that you don't have to go to a poll and wait in line to vote. People are just lazy.

On the contrary, a lot of Republicans won't approve of this repeal of Obamacare because they fear the backlash from their own constituents. They know the people that the repeal will affect will let them have it in the next election. Voting makes a difference. Start voting and you will see.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? What's the use of voting when you are in a poor and powerless minority? Minimum wage workers are unlikely to constitute a majority in the foreseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or