Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 05:05 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
When you learn it's actually the 'Reagan phone' you might have some credibility, until you do, you don't.
Always with the diversion when something happens that you don't like and 1 of your heroes is fond to be incompetent.

Reagan's was a landline, 1 per household NOT smartphones.

W. Bush changed it to include cell phones with limited usage,then Obama increased the access and usage even more.

So, the story IS correct,

The OBAMA plan AND LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY is what is being discussed.

Try to keep up.

I should report you for try to hijack the thread.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:08 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Fraud everywhere. Drain the Swamp Mr. President!

Old 07-02-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
What a surprise, another complete failure by the president of failures.

Senate Democrat blasts 'Obamaphone' over fraudulent findings, complete lack of oversight' | Fox News
A very poor attempt to blame Trump for Obama's incompetence.

"A new government audit finds more than a third of enrollees of the "Obamaphone" program may not be qualified -- among other fraudulent findings -- prompting a Senate Democrat to roundly criticize the program's "complete lack of oversight."

In other words this was going on during OBAMA'S Presidency.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Why is this program still in place today? Trump and the GOP lead congress can easily get rid of the program or reduce it. Why hasn't Trump or Ryan said anything about getting rid of the program? You should contact your Senators and US Rep and Trump and tell them to cut the program.

Maybe call it a TrumPhone now since Trump seems happy with the program exactly as it is. He's more concerned about Morning Joe's ratings.
"Why is this program still in place today?"

Duh, the report JUST CAME OUT.

AGAIN, it is NOT the program but, the way Obama CHANGED it and the lack of the FCC in the way they manage it, or DON'T manage it.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:34 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Sounds like it was the participating phone companies that weren't screening out the ineligibles.

Why should it surprise anyone that 6,400 dead people out of 10 million have phones? The eligibility determination is ANNUAL and it doesn't surprise me that 6.4 out of 10,000 poor people might die over a 12 month period.

And the fact that some people "may not qualify" doesn't mean they "do not qualify". The rules say that only one person per household can qualify - makes sense - but people in different households are often disqualified simply for sharing an address.

I live in an overcrowded house with 10 other people. (We rent rooms independently of each other.) I was categorically denied a phone by my state utility commission because someone else in the house - who had moved out - had a phone. There was no appeal process. A year later I applied and received a phone, after the other person (who had moved out) failed to requalify.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:08 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
How silly. There were no cell phones when Reagan was in office.

OP is right. It's another Obama program gone to hell.
There actually were cellphones in the 80s, I'm old enough to remember them, they were big blocks the size of a military walkie talky, but they were still cell phones

Old 07-02-2017, 06:34 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Nobody knew about the 'Reaganphone' for years until 2008 when the Obama administration started giving them to anyone who applied for one. That's when it became the 'Obamaphone'.
GAO discovered that 36% of those having a phone are not eligible to have one which includes 6400 dead people and 5500 with two phones. Ever notice the 'universal service' fee on your phone bill? That's for Obamaphones and there is a private corporation holding $9 billion of our money.
Just another government program full of waste, fraud and abuse.
Shhh!

I didn't see that on MSNBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Why is this program still in place today? Trump and the GOP lead congress can easily get rid of the program or reduce it. Why hasn't Trump or Ryan said anything about getting rid of the program?
Cutting it would be racist and hate filled towards poor people.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:45 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The program was started by Reagan but the program, the fees to support it and the subsequent fraud exploded under Obama.
the fee started in 1997, not 2009.

As for fraud, why does when it started matter? Its fraud. No one supports fraud. Unless you are arguing that the administration allowed it to happen, then you dont actually have a point other than notoriety, which is your fault(your side of the aisle that is) more than Obama seeing as it is you guys who made the Obamaphone thing famous.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:16 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
well it seems that the typical intellectual obama supporter in the video disagrees with you.
Not typical of me.

Besides, count me with the folks who know that Obama did not start this program.

And if there's fraud, the obvious answer to it is to look at how to stop the fraud, not blame a dead guy or a guy who's no longer in office.

There's an obvious need for the program, after all.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:33 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
There actually were cellphones in the 80s, I'm old enough to remember them, they were big blocks the size of a military walkie talky, but they were still cell phones
I was wondering if someone would make this totally nonsensical point. Reagan was out of office in 1988. Cell phones were just starting, nobody had them except the very rich, and they were either installed in cars or carried around in large bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies