Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,624,812 times

Advertisements

Many Americans believe the system is rigged against them. Trump and Sanders both offered hope. If Hillary hadn't run, Bernie certainly would have been the Democratic nominee.

It won't surprise me at all if Sanders or someone similar to Sanders runs and wins in 2020. So far, Trump has done nothing to make the lives of average Americans better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 09:32 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,304,172 times
It's business as usual in the real world. I don't think there is anything special about this point in time.

The select few still enslave the masses. Same as it always was.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:32 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,775,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
The rise of Donald Trump--and Bernie Sanders. The fall of Bill and Hillary Clinton's machine (**it could be resurrected in 2020 or 2024**). Bitter economic, political, social, and sexual divisions. 9/11 and it's aftermath. The post-Cold War 1991-era. Black Lives Matter. Barack Obama and his presidency, and some colossal mistakes.

What the hell happened?

You've got me. My life is great, but evidently there are a whole lot of very unhappy people out there in America. I can't imagine how their lives are so bad that they felt the need to throw the baby out with the bathwater by electing someone so badly suited to the most important position in the country.

It is absolutely unbelievable.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:34 PM

14,651 posts, read 14,572,886 times
Social media, and the internet in general, which can create an entire sets of propaganda to target populations and isolate them from a larger world view. Also, unless you've taken college-level courses requiring verifiable research, it's not necessarily in a person's nature to analyze each source of information for evidence and validity. So you have the majority of Americans taking in media which is completely tailored to their political views, creating deeper divisions, and an "us vs them" mentality where people are made to feel weak for considering multiple or opposite viewpoints on an issue rather than just believing what they're told by their chosen source.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:41 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,232,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
The rise of Donald Trump--and Bernie Sanders. The fall of Bill and Hillary Clinton's machine (**it could be resurrected in 2020 or 2024**). Bitter economic, political, social, and sexual divisions. 9/11 and it's aftermath. The post-Cold War 1991-era. Black Lives Matter. Barack Obama and his presidency, and some colossal mistakes.

What the hell happened?
Populism happened...both Trump and Sanders are Populists. People are dissatisfied with either their situation or the country and want someone that promises changes.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:46 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,304,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Social media, and the internet in general, which can create an entire sets of propaganda to target populations and isolate them from a larger world view. Also, unless you've taken college-level courses requiring verifiable research, it's not necessarily in a person's nature to analyze each source of information for evidence and validity. So you have the majority of Americans taking in media which is completely tailored to their political views, creating deeper divisions, and an "us vs them" mentality where people are made to feel weak for considering multiple or opposite viewpoints on an issue rather than just believing what they're told by their chosen source.
^ Why Hillary Clinton lost in a nutshell. Actually believes every word of it too.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:52 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You've got me. My life is great, but evidently there are a whole lot of very unhappy people out there in America. I can't imagine how their lives are so bad that they felt the need to throw the baby out with the bathwater by electing someone so badly suited to the most important position in the country.

It is absolutely unbelievable.
Their lives must be AWFUL to want to destroy everything. That's what Bannon wants and he's leading Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Populism happened...both Trump and Sanders are Populists. People are dissatisfied with either their situation or the country and want someone that promises changes.
Trump campaigned as a populist but he is governing as Paul Ryan. He has no idea how to do anything in Washington; totally ill equipped for the job and is just signing what Ryan and McConnell put in front of him.

And that is they THEY laugh behind his back and keep their mouths shut.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:02 PM

33,862 posts, read 16,906,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Trump campaigned as a populist but he is governing as Paul Ryan. .

I like that combination.

As POTUS, DJT has wide latitude on national safety issues, and can push for more trade agreement modifications. Ryan will keep us from growing gov't, which exploded in size under Obama unfortunately.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:12 PM

31,949 posts, read 14,955,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Trump won the Republican nomination, and at that point we jumped off the slippery slope.
I am so surprised he was nominated. I find it really sad voters elected him. He is disgusting and vulgar. But the fact is many like this kind of behavior.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:14 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,566,362 times
I could answer the question but I would have several people telling me I cannot mention religion on this thread. I was switching channels tonight and heard the pastor of a church in Texas address that very problem and he shared the constitution, the men who signed the Declaration of Independence and the identity of America as a Christian nation and the denial of that which has brought us to this very time. I agree with everything he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies