Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:39 AM

18,900 posts, read 6,909,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
There is an interesting perspective from Dan Savage on Bill Maher this week. Wouldn't Democrats be better off embracing the representation of cities rather than trying to win over rural America? He's right, John Kerry shooting a gun is not going to win over rural Republicans so don't bother. Embrace representing the cities as the engines of commerce for this country. Represent those highly populace cities with fervor and represent their economies and voters without apology. As cities get confident with their representation, we can put to control our dollars at home more rather than sending it to rural areas.

Democrats should focus on our strengths, revenue generation, education, diversity, environment, healthcare. Let Republicans have rural voters and don't waste another penny on them, instead, fully embrace the metro areas with no apologies.
Based on the fact that the only support Dems get is from the major cities, I thought that was already happening. Hillary Clinton doesn't have a clue what rural America actually thinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 09:43 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,948,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Originally Posted by Seacove
I don't see rural voters "turned off" by the way Trump demonizes cities. They love it. They happily take their tax dollars while shouting insults. There are a lot more metro voters than rural voters.

So it was the metro that voted in President Trump. So why do you all revel in your prediction that the rural red states will get whats coming to them because they will hurt the most by Trump?

I live in a rural state. How do you figure the healthcare plan will hurt me or hut me the most?
Just today the local NPR station broadcasted an interview with the president of a local hospital system who said that the medicaid expansion was the only thing keeping most rural hospitals from closing.

This is already occurring in states that didn;t take the expansion and it will get much worse should the ACA be repealed.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:04 AM

36,163 posts, read 30,629,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Just today the local NPR station broadcasted an interview with the president of a local hospital system who said that the medicaid expansion was the only thing keeping most rural hospitals from closing.

This is already occurring in states that didn;t take the expansion and it will get much worse should the ACA be repealed.
This was brought up before. I looked up all the medical facilities in my state someone listed. These list were closures from 2010 BTW, not since medicaid expansion. Anyway the 5 in my state that were closing INPATIENT CARE was due to moving the facility or merging with a facility in a nearby town. Most people in rural areas go to the metro hospitals for anything major anyway.

There is studies to back up an assertions that closures are due to not accepting the medicaid expansion or that medicaid expansion was the only thing keeping most rural hospitals from closing.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:08 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,438,904 times
Play to your strengths was good advice in Corporate America and good advice for the Democratic party today,

Old 07-05-2017, 10:10 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,727,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
People in those cities have more in common with NYC and LA than they do the cornfields.
I don't necessarily condone the idea but agree Democrats need to start fighting fire with fire. Playing nice and spreading goodwill apparently doesn't win elections in this country.
ALL STOP. No freaking way. If what we've seen up until now from the left is their version of playing nice and spreading good will this country is in for some serious 1930's style dark times ahead.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:12 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,588,821 times
they already have.. and that's the problem.

You have to embrace the metro's and the counties that surround them.

Hillary Clinton was lazy so she lost

Old 07-05-2017, 10:12 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,553,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Most issues cross the rural/urban divide.
Nope, most rural people pretty strongly believe they don't need as much help from government as city people. When there is a local disaster, rural people want action immediately and can't wait for the government to come save them.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:16 AM

17,932 posts, read 27,358,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
There is an interesting perspective from Dan Savage on Bill Maher this week. Wouldn't Democrats be better off embracing the representation of cities rather than trying to win over rural America? He's right, John Kerry shooting a gun is not going to win over rural Republicans so don't bother. Embrace representing the cities as the engines of commerce for this country. Represent those highly populace cities with fervor and represent their economies and voters without apology. As cities get confident with their representation, we can put to control our dollars at home more rather than sending it to rural areas.

Democrats should focus on our strengths, revenue generation, education, diversity, environment, healthcare. Let Republicans have rural voters and don't waste another penny on them, instead, fully embrace the metro areas with no apologies.
Democratic politicians created the urban ghettos and inner-city decay in the first place so, why not?

Knock y'alls selfs out.

Problem is trying to get folks to move back to it. Well, crumbs er-social services has been tried and true.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:24 AM

36,163 posts, read 30,629,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Nope, most rural people pretty strongly believe they don't need as much help from government as city people. When there is a local disaster, rural people want action immediately and can't wait for the government to come save them.
Got something to back up what most rural people believe.

As to your second sentence your correct from what I have seen they dont sit on their hands and wait for government to come save them. They organize and help one another. Maybe its the same in urban areas IDK. I'm not sure what point you are making with that statement.

In the past few years I've seen people in action during two local disasters. My town suffered an ice storm. Immediately neighbors got out them 'ol 4X4 pick ups and their chain saws and began clearing peoples driveways and roads, checking on neighbors, taking food, fuel, wood, blankets, water to those who had no heat or utilities.
Gatlinburg suffered a fire. Though I was not in the immediate vicinity churches, business and groups donated money and supplies, food and even pet food and drove them to the people in need.
You have a problem with people not waiting on government to come to the rescue?

Old 07-05-2017, 10:47 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,415,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Middle America has been saying FU to most Americans for years with their ongoing fetish for God, guns and gays style politics. I agree with the OP, the Democratic Party should focus on metro areas, no matter what they do the "Real Americans" living in small towns and rural areas are never going to vote for them. I am always amazed when the Dems spend time and money trying to lure rural white voters like it actually has a chance of working. Anyone that lives in these areas knows it is a futile effort, it is like asking hardcore Red Sox fans to switch allegiances and root for the Yankees instead. In my area of Real American flyover country, voting for Republicans is an ingrained part of the culture that will never change. It is foolish to think otherwise.
its the far left liberals that have forgotten middle America, and the middleclass

look at the steps the liberals have taken in the last 40+ years

kill the middleclass, and re-designate the upper middleclass as rich
demonize the rich
give the poor the scraps of welfare for votes
threaten to remove/restrict a persons right to a weapon
instead of getting the government out of the marriage business, they want more regulations and bigger government

Hillary lost because she was a bad candidate, spewed hatred towards everyone, did nothing for women, and called anyone not supporting her a deplorable

the democrats are losing the suburbs too with this type of rhetoric
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies