Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:02 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
... If you start losing people like that during a bankruptcy you are going to run into trouble.
If you are in bankruptcy, you've already run into trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 12:07 PM

29,500 posts, read 19,600,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Where did I even imply I was? But what about regs that wouldn't cost consumers more for electricity, like paving the way to ease restrictions on dumping industrial waste from things like coal mining in our waterways? This is good because?

And I was simply pointing out that air-quality improving since the '70s was no guarantee it couldn't be reversed. People may poo-poo the EPA but looking back it wasn't all that long ago when a car was sent to the wreckers when it hit 100K miles, that's not even considered high mileage anymore. What great engineering achievements were we seeing from Detroit other than different tail fins every year before they were 'persuaded' to start paying attention to things like safety, efficiency, and emissions? Admittedly early emission controls pretty much sucked but is there any doubt cars today are far better than those of 50 years ago and that much of that improvement was due to regulations the manufacturers were required to meet?
Imply what?

You asked about the current admin's rollback of Obama epa reg. I asked you if you were aware of any further deregulations that would roll back air quality?

Old 07-03-2017, 12:17 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Imply what?

You asked about the current admin's rollback of Obama epa reg. I asked you if you were aware of any further deregulations that would roll back air quality?
No, you asked "are you aware of any pre Obama EPA regulations (which would have cost comsumers more for electricity) that this admin is planning on erasing?"

Being that I never said a thing about costing consumers more I simply asked where did I imply any such thing?

Old 07-03-2017, 12:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Imply what?

What regulations are not fair game for the Trump EPA? With an EPA head who thinks that Global Warming and pollution controls are a hindrance to the American economy, I'm afraid many worthwhile, (to me, at least) regulations will be rolled back to a 1950's level. All of those newly re-opened coal mines with water pollution now allowed, will subject those freshly re-employed miners, to cancer-causing compounds! They got their jobs back, but may end up dying of cancer ...with their new crappy tRumpCare coverage! That's karma for you!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 07-03-2017 at 12:39 PM..

Old 07-03-2017, 12:45 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,046,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Coal Production is up 19% since Trump took office.

fail

/thread.
So thanks for sharing that you don't know the difference between production and jobs. Technology can increase production even within an overall dying industry in which total jobs are in general decline. This isn't that hard.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:50 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Are you kidding. Solar cells take more energy to produce than they will ever generate. So everytime one is put online, at taxpayer expense, we fall further behind.

Still no facts supporting that allegation.

And IF it is true, why were the Trumpies telling us what a brilliant idea it was to build the wall out of solar panels?

Old 07-03-2017, 12:52 PM

First, I thought we were talking about America. Is Trump saving coal in China?? Second, not every country has significant oil or natural gas deposits, nor do they have significant resources to invest in alternative technologies, so they use what they have. Even China, though, the largest coal user on your graph, is going to be investing hundreds of billions on alternative energy in the next few years. Coal even there is just a stop-gap measure, not a long-term, viable solution.
Third, your second graph clearly shows coal plummeting in usage in the US. I noticed you didn't provide a worldwide usage chart. I wonder why?
Finally, if you add up the renewables and nuclear, they already surpass coal-produced energy in the US, and as we all know, alternatives to coal already have FAR more related jobs.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
China does not have the pollution controls we have here in the US. Another issue is a large part of their population uses low quality coal for domestic heating.
Um, Trump is actively getting rid of pollution regulations. Air, water and land pollution WILL get worse now. The cleaner and air water you take for granted was brought to you by regulations.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Our air quality has been improving since the 1970s. So what's the problem?

https://www3.epa.gov/region9/air/trends/
Because of tougher regulations on pollution, the very things Republican administrations like Trump's hate. How is this so hard to grasp?

Old 07-03-2017, 01:03 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Still waiting for you to refute the following with something besides your opinion.
You haven't proven than they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies