Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 07:42 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
There is no double standard when one advocates humane treatment of all animals everywhere.

agreed!

Old 07-04-2017, 07:43 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Im a dog lover and it breaks my heart to see dogs forced into cramped cages, bludgeoned to death and then eaten.

Dogs sold for meat at market - Photos - Heartbreaking images of China's Yulin dog meat festival amid worldwide protests - NY Daily News
As horrendous as we find it. I am a dog lover. It is none of our business. America needs to learn to mind our own business.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:48 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I wonder how dog meat tastes? Maybe I'll try some one day.
In the part of China I lived, there was once a warlord (in the early 20th century) called the 'Dogmeat General'. He really liked it, so perhaps there is something to it.

I never saw dog meat offered on a menu (wasn't looking, perhaps I missed it someplace), but I did eat donkey meat stuffed into dumplings. I liked it but wouldn't go out of my way to order it again.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:51 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
I am a dog lover, but I support people's right to treat their pets in whatever way they see fit. Not my business.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
As horrendous as we find it. I am a dog lover. It is none of our business. America needs to learn to mind our own business.
Agreed.

I have always had dogs (except now, too old to start with a new puppy). I would not want to see dogs treated like cattle (or worse) and would not support the industry if it was legal here. But that is just me, I don't eat veal either.

I find it odd that it seems some people who would care little about tens of millions of good citizens losing health insurance are upset about the eating habits of foreign people and encourage 'global activism' to enforce our standards upon them. It just seems contradictory some how.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:57 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Let's see. We have apron 600,000 homeless.
11 million illegals.
Fighting wars in at least 3 countries.
Close to 20 trillion in debt.
Mass shootings happening every other week.
Vets not getting the care they need.
A dysfunctional Fed.
And people are concerned that we need to expend energy pressuring China about a dog meat festival. Yes lets all make that our priority.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Animal equality! Stop animal discrimination! All animals must be treated the same! Dog privilege must stop!
Sounds like a quote from "Animal Farm'.

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

Old 07-04-2017, 08:03 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Well, the bottom line is this

China is too ancient of a culture and too big of a country. They have good modern cities and they really have uncivilized area. (but that is expected)

SARS evolved in southern China, where 80 million people share living space with the ducks, chickens, pigs, shrimp, and carp they eat. Chicken waste is fed to pigs. Pig waste is dumped into ponds in which shrimp and fish are raised for food. All the animals are crowded into small spaces where viruses thrive. One scientist called this area "a complete soup of chemicals and viruses." Another explained, "A virus gets into a duck, it jumps to the pig. It mutates, the pig excretes it and humans can become infected."

You have to wonder if it is even "clean" to put any damn meat in your mouth. So I am all for banning the raw meat festival (dog cat snake monkey brain or rat, chicken or fish It doesn't matter what) it is just not sanitary.

I am SO GLAD that Chinese government listened. They are now banning the festival, very soon, the world would not point finger at them anymore. Isn't that good news? Less disease, more civilized.

It is not about criticizing the culture, to me it has nothing to do with culture.

Some Chinese enjoy exotic animals, but so did the Roman Empire. People's food choices change over time, That is called The Evolution of Diet! (no need to criticize them for their food choices,come on now)

This is good news that Chinese government is banning the festival. Chinese are civilized people and a few people like to eat dogs don't represent the whole population When I was in China, I would have to say many people have dogs as their pets, and they treat the dogs very well. There are many Chinese activists pressured the government to ban the festival as well. It is not just the western activists. (Chinese activists and western activists. They all put in effort)

It is ridiculous to make it a big "news". I am all for banning the festival, but I also want to give credit where credit is due. The Chinese government is banning the festival, thanks to the activists.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 07-04-2017 at 08:12 AM..

Old 07-04-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
When I was in China, I would have to say many people have dogs as their pets, and they treat the dogs very well.
I agree.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:15 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Yeah, I won't be clicking on that link. And to think we are doing business with those people. We should have NOTHING to do with the Chinese. We should economic embargo them right back onto their bicycles and huts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies