Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 05:56 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Oh, that's undoubtedly true.

Trump is in approval ratings trouble now - do you think he will be smart enough to hire a D political strategist, and then smart enough to heed that person's advice?
I dunno.
That's what Hillary did.

Trump's approval rating are now slightly above the level on the day he was elected. I think he'll be OK, since low approval numbers are not grounds for impeachment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 06:01 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I dunno.
That's what Hillary did.

Trump's approval rating are now slightly above the level on the day he was elected. I think he'll be OK, since low approval numbers are not grounds for impeachment.
No, they're not.

But if one of the groups now investigating Trump comes up with something untoward - how many voters will support him? Remember, quite a few Rs would always have preferred Pence anyway.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:08 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Clinton was the only viable alternative to Bob Dole (too old and incoherent).

The conservative vote was split between Dole and Perot (40.7% and 8.4%).

As in 1992, Clinton was once again the beneficiary of a divided opposition.

Wouldn't call it a landslide either.

Clinton won less than half the popular vote and, even with the help of Perot, only 31 states.

Exactly!

Just ask Mitt Romney and the GOP how 2008 worked out for his POTUS bid.

Just saying the incumbent is "unpopular" isn't enough to vote him out of office.

Here in NYC going by the chatter current mayor de Blasio isn't universally loved; yet the man seems set to win a second term totally unopposed by any serious candidate.

Incumbency gives incredible power to an officer holder. It often takes some powerful forces to unseat; as in the case of Jimmy Carter it was a whole series of events besides his being "unpopular" that removed him from office.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:12 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Clinton started off with low approval ratings in his first 2 years, but won by a landslide in his reelection bid. How was that possible?
Bob Dole was not an inspiring opposing candidate.
Clinton famously "triangulated" his positions to mimic those of the Repub House.
Voters voted on pocketbook issues.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:13 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I dunno.
That's what Hillary did.

How about a source? I think you are incorrect.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:05 PM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
He was kept in because they had the goods on him and he played ball with the globalist NWO. He did need cleaning up after, though. The Clintons still do.
Wouldn't have taken much for him to have been ousted. The Flight 800 truth, Vince Foster and Ron Brown murder truth. Heck, even John Heinz not dying in a plane crash and his running for POTUS in 96 would have meant no Clinton 2nd term. No Bush first term in 2000, either.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:49 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Clinton started off with low approval ratings in his first 2 years, but won by a landslide in his reelection bid. How was that possible?
Presidential Approval Ratings -- Bill Clinton | Gallup Historical Trends

Low approval ratings with the Republicans, who would have thought?

Old 07-04-2017, 08:53 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Oh, that's undoubtedly true.

Trump is in approval ratings trouble now - do you think he will be smart enough to hire a D political strategist, and then smart enough to heed that person's advice?
Not going to happen.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:00 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
because approval ratings don't mean crap.

and because the other side forgets that despite how much you attack the president, you have to have an appealing message and appealing candidate yourself
This is the correct answer.

The only thing that matters is performance or, another way, performance is the only thing that matters.

In 1994 the Republicans, for what time in decades, took over the House and Senate and under Newt Gingrich they pass some bills that caused the economy to start really humming along in a way I've never seen it in my lifetime.

You could define my cognitive lifetime as beginning in the late 1950's so I go back a while.

With the economy how many along like it was, it was the time when anybody that wanted a job could easily find a job, there was no way that Bill Clinton would lose on the election bit at least not if the Republicans advance somebody that could challenge him.

But the Republicans couldn't do it, we want felt it was Bob Dole's time to run so they sent him out and he had all the charisma of a dirty urinal. Nobody but nobody could get wound up over Bob Dole. I guess Bob Dole was a decent man but he certainly was not Ronald Reagan.

So Democrats, take a page out of History, if the economy is soaring in 2020 like it was for Bill Clinton in 1996 no Democrat in the entire land has a chance in hell against Donald Trump. In the end we don't care about Russia or grabbing something or whatever the only thing that counts is the economy and nothing else counts.

But things can work the opposite direction, if the economy flounders Maxine Waters could be our next president if that's who Democrats put forth.

I don't know who said it but I'll quote it "It's the economy stupid".

Old 07-04-2017, 10:45 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

I don't know who said it but I'll quote it "It's the economy stupid".
It was the unofficial motto of Bill Clinton's campaign, so probably either Clinton himself or James Carville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies