Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 10:15 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
Is this what America has come to?? Living with total strangers and multiple total strangers at that, just to survive? Are we a friggin 3rd-world country now?
Do you believe when the first settlers arrived in America, they were in 5/3/2s with fenced yards and a swimming pool?

Do you think the men of the gold rush were enjoying private bathrooms?

Did you read in a history book about the luxury condos the men who built the Hoover Dam were placed?

Hell, I have a friend whose son lived in a small trailer with three other guys up at the Bakken for over a year.

Sometimes you must sacrifice to improve your situation.

*****ing about how you're entitled to more does very little to improve your situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 10:15 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
They are NOT MEANT to be parents you see ( as much as they are not meant to have lives.)
What they meant to be is servants for those, who actually HAVE a life, since they can afford it nicely)))
Wither they are not meant to or not they are parents and your disagreement with that is not gonna change that fact. You also discount parents who had a good job but for some reason lost it and now has to work a low wage job.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:16 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Is this what America has come to?? Living with total strangers and multiple total strangers at that, just to survive? Are we a friggin 3rd-world country now?

I thought in America basic things like privacy and personal space were valued and treasured, only in 3rd-world crapholes do you see this "diluted" or "watered down" standard of living with 4-6 people cooped up in an small apartment. I know he's not really relevant anymore (after selling out to Hillary), but on this one issue i 100% agree with Bernie Sanders; a country as rich/wealthy as America should not have a 3rd-worldish standard of living with many of it's people "barely" surviving

Somewhat relevant article - Half of Americans are spending their entire paycheck (or more) - Jun. 27, 2017

From the article:

"...Half of Americans are spending their entire paycheck (or more)

...Nearly half of Americans say their expenses are equal to or greater than their income, according to a new study from the Center for Financial Services Innovation. And for those 18 to 25 the percentage is over half, up to 54%.

...Of the 25% who say they have too much debt, 96% report being stressed."
Yes!
Those are the horrors they used to tell to each other about the Soviet Union back in the good old days - "Can you imagine, they live in COMMUNAL APARTMENTS OVER THERE AND SHARE THE KITCHEN AND BATHROOM WITH TOTAL STRANGERS)))
And now - look at that; whaddayaknow

Old 07-05-2017, 10:16 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
How do you determine that a person is only "worthy" of earning $8/hour? I don't care if a person sweeps floors all day. If a person works a full time job and does what is required, they deserve to be able to pay their bills without having to get on welfare. Yes, they deserve it. Because if they can't afford to pay their bills, guess who pays them? You. The point of working is to live, not to earn so little the person has to work even more.
Unreal, "deserve" has nothing to do with economics.
This reply is pure nonsense. How about you open a business sweeping floors and as the employer , make sure all your employees bills are paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
How generous of you.
So yes, let's give it another try - shall we?
See, every business doesn't exist in the vacuum - it exists within the socioeconomic frame of every given society, and every given society has its own standards/cost of living.
So... If the business keeps on adjusting its profits according to the cost of living, while disregarding the adjustments for its workers, (AND at the same time the government decides to cut the subsidies to workers deeming them "excessive,") it becomes only a matter of time, when the amount of people living on non-livable wages ( or wages close to the limit) becomes critical.
It's really not all that difficult to understand; it's sorta a a biblical matter; when you stop tending to your vineyard, what happens to your vine?
Not only is your "information" innacurrate, it seems you prefer to be willfully ignorant on all other aspects of this topic.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:18 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
You can always tell the people who do not want to have an actual conversation or contribute anything they go right to insults. By the way I make more then the min wage in my state good try though.
How did you end up making more than MW? Did your parents hook you up with a job?

I'm guessing you feel you haven't done anything to earn more than MW, right?

Old 07-05-2017, 10:18 PM

143 posts, read 98,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
When I delivered pizzas i had a manager who unilaterally decided that drivers should be paid minimum wage. If they wanted to earn more money they could always drive faster.
LOL!

+1

Very good analogy, actually

Old 07-05-2017, 10:20 PM

A large majotity need a vehicle to survive where I live, can we can a government mandate that everyone deserved personal transportation? We deserve to avoid any hardship, after all it's survival.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:20 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Unreal, "deserve" has nothing to do with economics.
This reply is pure nonsense. How about you open a business sweeping floors and as the employer , make sure all your employees bills are paid.

Not only is your "information" innacurrate, it seems you prefer to be willfully ignorant on all other aspects of this topic.
"All other aspects" such as...?

Old 07-05-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
LOL!

+1

Very good analogy, actually
No. It isnt.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:21 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
It is mathematically impossible to survive on minimum wage $8/hour type jobs in 2017, here's the math:

Assuming the person works for $8/hour and 40 hours a week

($8/hour x 40 hours) x 4 weeks in a month = $1280 before tax = $1088-ish after tax (assuming 10-15% tax bracket)

Assuming the "typical" cost of living for an average American with NO kids or welfare assistance

$800-$1000/month - Average rent in most cities for a 1-bedroom apartment
$75-$150/month - Average car insurance payment, depending on age of car etc
$150-$300/month - Average gasoline expenditure depending on vehicle and commute distance
$200-$300/month - Average food/grocery bill for one person, assuming a somewhat healthy diet
$50-$100/month - Average cost of miscellaneous household items such as toilet paper, etc
$150-$300/month - Average health insurance bill depending on a number of factors
$75-$150/month - Average utilities depending on several factors
$40-$70/month - Average cell phone/internet bill
+???/month on TOP of all this - If there is any debt service (car loan, student loans, etc) or kids involved

...and all of this is without saving any money whatsoever.

Grand totals for "typical" cost of living on $8/hour minimum wage

$1550ish-$2370/month on the typical $8/hour wage $1088ish take-home pay

$1088ish pay - $1550ish-$2370ish cost of living = negative $462-$1282 every month, literally mathematically impossible

And in many recent threads on here, Republican right-wingers have actually been advocating for no minimum wage at all

Now before you say "well, those types of jobs are only for teenagers anyway", I just want to remind you that it's the year 2017 and many full-grown adults wind up working these poverty level McJobs. We need to have some sympathy, because people end up in $8/hour type jobs for a variety of reasons.... they were laid off from a good-paying job, their bills went up and they needed more income, they couldn't find anything better in the area, no other jobs called them back, etc. The point is, the economy is much worse in 2017, and we don't live in the 1950's anymore.... plenty of full-grown men and women are working minimum wage or close to it. It's not "just for teenagers" anymore.

The cashier at the nearby 7-eleven down the street? The guy who rings up my coffee? He's like in his early 40's, but I've talked to him here and there and he says he works there because "times are tough and i need the money", so i know that these people are out there and that's just one example. If Republican right-wingers had their way, these honest hard-working people would be rounded up and shot - they would rather "brush the issue under the rug" than address it

Meanwhile America more and more resembles a Mexico-style 98% poor / 2% rich stratified society every year. But right-wingers have 0 issue with 8 individuals having more wealth as 50% of the human population, or paper-pusher executive types raking in $500k+ salaries. Instead of noticing this very real problem affecting average and lower-income Americans, republican right-wingers seem to have this tunnel-vision regarding "brown people" and other economically un-important issues..... as if the very complicated and nuanced economic issues of the day can be boiled down to "brown people", while a CEO makes more money than all his employees combined
wow, lots of assumptions

1. rent really depends on where you are...I was stationed in NC, and I can (still) rent a whole house for less than 400/month....I could even buy it for less than $400/month
2. you said rent in a city...well then you wont need a car in most cities

Min wage is for UNSKILLED Labor

you want a job, you go get it..you get the skill (school, or ojt)...but you find work, you IMPROVE YOURSELF, make your SELF MORE MARKETABLE

im in my 50's....have NEVER worked min wage

first job...white castle...more than min wage
second job a chevy dealership...as a jr mechanic/car prep...worked my way all the way to A-mechanic..then to shop foreman..to service manager

peons work min wage...UNSKILLED...with no motivation...or seniors looking to supplement ss...OR KIDS STILL IN SCHOOL......

last week I walked from my workplace to the taco-bell a couple of blocks down...asked for a very simple order...2 chicken soft tacos with onion...... walked back to work to find they handed me 2 chopmeat(beef) soft taco's with no onion.....

these fast food workers of today.....incompetent slugs............... yes I said ...incompetence......and they want to demand 15/hr...they aren't evn worth 5/hr with that level of incompetence

again min wage is for unskilled labor...and should be zero at the federal level..set the min wage by the states, not federally

no one with any self motivation, or....self pride is going to STAY in a min wage job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies