Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 12:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,589,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
You truly seem to have difficulty understanding the difference between needs and wants.
That's the least of that posters difficulties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 12:33 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,465,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
Get roommates, it's not third world to have roommates. Pretty much every college student ever has had roommates, it's a privilege to have an apartment all to yourself. If you split a 1 bedroom apartment for $1000 bucks in half and you both paid $500 dollars and you split $150 dollars of utilities evenly you're cost of housing would be $575 bucks. That's why living with roommates is so attractive. You get to split rent to make the cost per month less. You also get to split the cost of utilities, which makes your individual financial burden less.

Also, if you're poor and in a city why even have a car? Car's are money pits. You could take a bus, subway, walk,buy a cheap bike. Having a car in a city is also a privilege.. That would cut out the cost of insurance, gas, and an auto payment. Invest in a good bus pass or subway pass.
If public transit in your city isn't good, then move closer to work. If you're working min. wage you also have min skills, so you could probably do fast food, waitress, house cleaning type jobs anywhere in a city. Meaning you could live within walking distance of a job. s

50-100 dollars a month for monthly household items? What are you, buying every month for your house that's totaling 50 to 100 bucks. You can buy a roll of toilet paper for less than a buck and you could even split that cost with guess what roommates!!!

You can split the cost of food with a roommate, but I'd say 200 bucks is a good amount to spend on food for yourself. A person could also check if they applied for food stamps which would help.

Why get an expensive cell phone plan? You can get cheap cell phone plans from a lot of different companies. Cricket wireless offers a 1gb plan for 30 bucks. It would give you data and you really wouldn't need more internet than that. If you needed more to look for a job or whatever you could always go to the library and pay a quarter to use their internet. Or connect to a shops wifi.

Also, what person making min. wage is in a 10-15 percent tax bracket. I calculated a person making 16,600 dollars a year living in San Francisco, with their tax rate and after state and federal taxes they would be making 1,216.41 a month so let's calculate how much they would be spending

$575 for housing and utilities
$35 for a bus pass
$50 for household items like laundry supplies, toilet paper, tampons, cleaning supplies
$30 for a cell phone plan with 1gb of data
$200 for food
$300 for insurance
$ 16 for savings
$ 10 for entertainment

total= 1216

If you don't like your income spread so thin you could always get another job working 20 hours a week, so you could build up an easter egg of income. It's totally possible to live on 8 dollars an hour. It's not comfortable, but it's completely possible.

It is the third world not having:

1. A free house for me and my 16 children
2. A free car
3. A free health care plan
4. A free iPhone 10+
5. Free education
6. A free yacht
7. A minimum wage that doesn't pay for my billionaire lifestyle

Old 07-08-2017, 12:35 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,465,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
That's the least of that posters difficulties.
They fully believe that they are entitled to your money. If you refuse to give to them, they are fully committed to get it by killing a few million of you.

The leftists have always loved violence.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 07-08-2017 at 12:48 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 12:38 PM

417 posts, read 342,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
Only problem with this^ is your proposed "budget" is still literally all of the minimum wage worker's money out the door even with a roommate.

ONE injury/health problem/illness, sudden layoff, or set-back of any kind (even an unexpected $500 bill) and it's back into the red.

Also, 1 GB data is a joke, I can go through 1 GB data in like a few hours of casual usage.
Like I said if you want more money get another job. 40 hours a week is nothing. Working 40 hours a week is a luxury. If you want more money for more food, or more internet or whatever you need to work for it. Nothing in this world is for free. Sorry sweetie.

If your poor who cares. You can't afford more data. You can cry about it, but you can't afford it so you make do with what you have.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:43 PM

33,758 posts, read 16,763,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
Like I said if you want more money get another job. 40 hours a week is nothing. Working 40 hours a week is a luxury. If you want more money for more food, or more internet or whatever you need to work for it. Nothing in this world is for free. Sorry sweetie.

Amen. 128 hours remain after that 40 hour job. Usse them wisely.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:48 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,160,368 times
If we raise the minimum wage then the cost of all goods and services will increase. This shouldn't be too difficult to understand, but I acknowledge that there are a lot of dumb people in this country.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:02 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,363,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
ONE injury/health problem/illness, sudden layoff, or set-back of any kind ) and it's back into the red.

that's the case for any worker

even what I make at 35/hr, "ONE injury/health problem/illness, sudden layoff" and your in the red......

all I can say is man-up, this gen y generation is a bunch of cry babies

Old 07-08-2017, 01:10 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,327,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually it was NOT intended to be a starting wage, or a wage for teens. It was supposed to be a living wage.....and not JUst a livig wage, but a DECENT wage.

Roosevelt stated it thusly:
Politicians lie. If that's really what he wanted, not just campaigned on, that's what should have been passed but it wasn't, not even close. The minimum wage even in 1938 wasn't a "decent" or "living" wage. The $0.25 in 1938 is only about $5.00 today.

Minimum wage since 1938 - CNNMoney
https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors.../#6a4c4e105ec8

The minimum wage has NEVER been above the poverty line.

http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/anth484/minpov.jpg

You were wrong in 2014 when you started the same topic, and you're still wrong.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...nt-living.html

Old 07-08-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
that's the case for any worker

even what I make at 35/hr, "ONE injury/health problem/illness, sudden layoff" and your in the red......

all I can say is man-up, this gen y generation is a bunch of cry babies
Just like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9-5fYFjrbs

Old 07-08-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Politicians lie. If that's really what he wanted, not just campaigned on, that's what should have been passed but it wasn't, not even close. The minimum wage even in 1938 wasn't a "decent" or "living" wage. The $0.25 in 1938 is only about $5.00 today.

Minimum wage since 1938 - CNNMoney
https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors.../#6a4c4e105ec8

The minimum wage has NEVER been above the poverty line.

http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/anth484/minpov.jpg

You were wrong in 2014 when you started the same topic, and you're still wrong.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...nt-living.html
Great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies