Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:55 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
These are the type of people that make all Christians look bad.

I just learned they're opening a store near me. I hope they go out of business quickly.
You're not a Christian, so why should you care? Would you also hope for Chick-Fil-A to "go out of business quickly?" How about a Muslim owned businesses?

Do you ever eat at Wendy's? Dave Thomas was a Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:56 AM

35,688 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
While it could be considered a noble cause to preserve these relics, it is not noble to do so illegally. If they were truly trying to preserve these relics, why not do so through legal channels...why go to such elaborate schemes to cheat, lie, steal.......

The end does not justify the means my friend.
I was taught- you can do a "good" thing- or a "right" thing- the latter is correct

Old 07-06-2017, 08:59 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You condemn them without even knowing any facts in the case.

Why don't you just admit openly that you hate Christians and Christianity, and quit p u s s y footing around that fact with stupid threads like this that have noting to do with the case Hobby Lobby won in the Supreme Court concerning their right to run their business according to their beliefs.

This is noting more than an opportunity to smear a company and an entire class of people that you hate based on who they are, and their religion. You're practicing "identity politics," plain and simple.
True, this case is not like the previous case. This court case, they lost. Because they were guilty of an international crime.

What the two cases taken together show is that HL is fine with contravening the law if it benefits them.

As others have noted, if HL was genuinely concerned about ISIS' treatment of these presumably pagan artifacts, there were other ways to take action on that concern that would not have contributed to ISIS' bottom line.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:00 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
They broke the law. It isn't a smear campaign if they broke the law.

You can spin it as much as you like.

They broke the law.
Can you prove that they knowingly and willfully broke the law? Are you a lawyer? Do you know the facts in the case?

Where do you stand on the deportation of illegals? They broke the law. I would be interested to know your position. Are you for "Kate's Law?" What's your stand on Sanctuary Cities? They violate the Constitution.

Or is it only Christian business owners you go after?

Old 07-06-2017, 09:04 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Can you prove that they knowingly and willfully broke the law? Are you a lawyer? Do you know the facts in the case?

Where do you stand on the deportation of illegals? They broke the law. I would be interested to know your position. Are you for "Kate's Law?" What's your stand on Sanctuary Cities? They violate the Constitution.

Their own antiquities expert warned them that it was shady, they never met the original owner but dealt through 2nd and 3rd parties not knowing the origin. This goes back to 2010.

Besides, they agreed to a $3M fine, I would say they are guilty and ignorance is not a defense in this case.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:05 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:

I didn't say anything about them being Christian -- that's your paranoia coming out.

I don't care what religion you are, if you don't know that it is most likely illegal to remove artifacts from a country -- you are living in cave.

Oh and just because you missed one little tidbit in the article....Hobby Lobby was previously warned in October 2010 by an expert on cultural property law that the artifacts were possibly stolen from Iraqi archaeological sites, and the company went through atypical means to obtain these objects.

And ignorance does not excuse you from being guilty -- you know that right?

The article indicates they went through many hoops and loops to dodge the authorities on this one.

No way, no how you can defend it.

And the fact that you are so defensive about this indicates that you believe your Christian status gives you the opportunity to do what YOU think is right and not what is legal.

That is not okay.

You don't know if I'm a Christian or not -- I may go to Mass every day and you don't have a clue but because I don't support this illegal activity I must be against all Christians.

Failed logic my friend, and it still does not excuse their illegal activity.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:05 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:

Well, they as much as admitted that they broke the law, thus the fine, so there's that.

It's a story because these are people that go on and on about public morality and religion but have no qualms about smuggling artifacts from a foreign country and likely funding a terrorists organization in the process. As Christians we should hold ourselves to a higher standard. This is especially true of those who feel the need to boast of their faith.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:06 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
They broke the law. It isn't a smear campaign if they broke the law.

You can spin it as much as you like.

They broke the law.
They broke the law of man. They lied. True. God hates liars,but the motivation is what God sees.

In the Bible lying is hated by God but there are exceptions. If the evil is so great, man will lie to keep the destroyer at bay. This is a very rare occurrence.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:08 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
They broke the law of man. They lied. True. God hates liars,but the motivation is what God sees.

In the Bible lying is hated by God but there are exceptions. If the evil is so great, man will lie to keep the destroyer at bay. This is a very rare occurrence.
You must be reading one of those bibles that omits all of those pesky red letters.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:08 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

Good to know that god values non-christian and non-jewish artifacts so much that he condones deliberately lying to break anti-theft laws. I'll keep it in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies