Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 11:38 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Armed with a degree in this area, a graduate can look forward to a long and rewarding career of pumping gas.
My daughter went to Grad School (Law School) in CA. and ended up with engineering and law degrees.

As an undergrad, I remember her taking similar courses...as an election, of course. One of them dealt with potential future transportation methods...you know, the kind of thing fools like Elon Musk deal in.

I think the big leap here is trying to get people who are instinctively uncreative...to understand the open mind. Galileo was interrogated while threatened with physical torture for his concepts.

If you want to dig ditches, dig ditches. If you want to ponder how the world (or US) got to this point, study that. Etc. Etc.

Oh, my daughter isn't pumping gas. But she did wait tables during college - made pretty good money (over $20 an hour at the time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 11:40 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Individual freedom? Then it must be wrong, said the far left.

They hate cars - auto racing, vintage car shows, cruising, road trips, trucks. They want to herd everyone into cities and force us to take subways, busses and Ubers, crowding in like roaches. Only the elite will have cars and freedom to travel independently.
I don't see Don the Con driving around too much. He defines Freedom as the picks of the litter - sorta like Arab Monarchs.

I guess we all have different ideas of Freedom. Someone in my neighborhood built a nice bonfire last night - at least 100 others had to close their windows and choke.

Who was free? Whose rights were stepped upon?

It must really bug you when an electric car beats 99.9% of other cars off the line....

Old 07-07-2017, 11:53 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

It must really bug you when an electric car beats 99.9% of other cars off the line....
Only children would worry about stuff like that. Seems you do. BTW, for the price of those things it should beat Elon's rockets off the line as well.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:12 PM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
My daughter went to Grad School (Law School) in CA. and ended up with engineering and law degrees.

As an undergrad, I remember her taking similar courses...as an election, of course. One of them dealt with potential future transportation methods...you know, the kind of thing fools like Elon Musk deal in.

I think the big leap here is trying to get people who are instinctively uncreative...to understand the open mind. Galileo was interrogated while threatened with physical torture for his concepts.

If you want to dig ditches, dig ditches. If you want to ponder how the world (or US) got to this point, study that. Etc. Etc.

Oh, my daughter isn't pumping gas. But she did wait tables during college - made pretty good money (over $20 an hour at the time).
Dont laugh at servers. They can make 70K given the right location, restaurant type and a natural friendly attitude. Yes the exception but I know one server at a very busy Red Robin in NJ who did just that. Yes he is one of those servers who gets requests to sit in his section. He actually has basically what amounts to clients. He works his buttocks off, never sits back. Drinks always filled. Check prompt. Problems treated as if the world will end if not fixed.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:46 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Individual freedom? Then it must be wrong, said the far left.

They hate cars - auto racing, vintage car shows, cruising, road trips, trucks. They want to herd everyone into cities and force us to take subways, busses and Ubers, crowding in like roaches. Only the elite will have cars and freedom to travel independently.
I can't drive, but I love cars, as a hobby! I once had a '64 Ford Fairlane to tinker around with, for fun. (and I sold it, when working on it stopped being fun)

My only problem with cars is that they--with the help of government regulations--have shaped our infrastructure and development patterns in such a way that they have become required to live a comfortable life throughout most of the US. Why should personal freedom be contingent on the ownership of a car?

Old 07-08-2017, 09:44 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Dont laugh at servers. They can make 70K given the right location, restaurant type and a natural friendly attitude. Yes the exception but I know one server at a very busy Red Robin in NJ who did just that. Yes he is one of those servers who gets requests to sit in his section. He actually has basically what amounts to clients. He works his buttocks off, never sits back. Drinks always filled. Check prompt. Problems treated as if the world will end if not fixed.
Cleavage can help too.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:09 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I can't drive, but I love cars, as a hobby! I once had a '64 Ford Fairlane to tinker around with, for fun. (and I sold it, when working on it stopped being fun)

My only problem with cars is that they--with the help of government regulations--have shaped our infrastructure and development patterns in such a way that they have become required to live a comfortable life throughout most of the US. Why should personal freedom be contingent on the ownership of a car?
We live so spread out that it would be impractical to impossible to have public transportation in many places. We should definitely improve it in areas where it is practical to do so. Americans still love their cars and like getting in and going when and where they want.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:37 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
I don't see Don the Con driving around too much. He defines Freedom as the picks of the litter - sorta like Arab Monarchs.

I guess we all have different ideas of Freedom. Someone in my neighborhood built a nice bonfire last night - at least 100 others had to close their windows and choke.

Who was free? Whose rights were stepped upon?

Especially when that electric car loses a charge... and a diesel powered truck comes to recharge it via a gasoline powered generator... that would bug the hell out of me too

Old 07-08-2017, 10:58 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
We live in such a prosperous society where abundance is everywhere that there are people who have the time to ponder and debate the fact that some people live far away from things. They've even created college course to discuss this.

What's funny to me is that most people are so far removed from actual struggle that they can't see how silly this is.

Last edited by Supachai; 07-08-2017 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies