Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:14 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times

Advertisements

I'd look into Brazil as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:14 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
Just curious, how many Black Americans have considered leaving America? If you were to leave, which nation would you immigrate to? I ask, because my friend and I were discussing becoming expats in other nations. She is interested in relocating to Canada or France, while I'm interested in Aruba or St Kitts.

Where would you relocate to, if you had the opportunity to leave America?

As an aside, each year, many people all over the world relocate out of their native born nations, but oddly, Black Americans rarely leave America. It is especially odd that highly educated black Americans who work in tech and business rarely become expats. There are however some who do.

I've followed the journey of several Black Americans who have relocated out of America and they seem much happier. I believe more Black Americans who have the ability, should consider this option.

I think it's rather sad to spend so much of one's existence fighting white American racism in particular, because you don't have the opportunity to just be you and focus on what's really important in life (i.e. family, establishing good friendships, becoming more spiritual, living a healthy lifestyle, volunteering, etc).
I lived outside the US for 20 years. I found many Blacks loved coming to places like the Dominican Republic or Venezuela, but only on vacation. Often times it was seeing places like these that really cemented how great they had it in the US.

If you're Black and live in the US, you're among the more privileged, fortunate people on the planet and you're not likely to replicate that in any other country. If you wake up in the morning with a roof over your head, electricity, running water & breakfast to eat, you're among the top 5% on the planet. If you can criticize your government or leave your country if you wise, you're in the top 4% on the planet. If you're literate and have at least a HS education, you're among the top 3% on the planet. If you have a job, or money in the bank, you're among the top 2%. If you have a car, internet access, a TV, cell phone or any 2 of the 4, you're among the top 1% on the planet.

How anyone could be among the top 1% most privileged, fortunate, born-lucky people on the planet and spend their days complaining about how unjust life has been to them, is beyond comprehension. It's like someone winning $50 million dollars in the lottery & spending every day thereafter complaining that a second winner won $55 million.

Also, If you think you won't find racism in Aruba, St Kitts, France or Canada, you're plain nuts.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
St. Kitts over Aruba

Canada over France

Canada over St Kitts.
Canada, yes, yes, they're just thrilled to have all those Jamaicans up in Toronto. Better yet, go live in Quebec, the French Canadians love Black people.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:18 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
It's surprising to see people expressing the idea that a black person from anywhere could find a racist-free lifestyle in France or another european country these days. From what I've seen of the way things go, it's not uncommon for large groups of people to paint other groups of people with the same brush, i.e., an arab is a muslim is a black man is a jihadist. Or if he moves in, at the very least if he's a drain on public resources and a threat to european cultural identity. Yes black americans visit europe and britain every year and they have a wonderful time and don't express any sense of feeling mistreated. But they're visitors, not ex pats. Please note that I'm not saying that europe in 2017 is for sure problematic for american blacks. I honestly don't know with certainty and I admit it. But I do find it very hard to believe that europe and britain would be particularly welcoming to immigrants of color right now, even if they're from the u.s.
To be honest, one thing that made me think about living in another country was the crap I went through in high school. I went through alot of bullying and racism. I felt like moving away from the Southeast USA was the answer. I also figured that I would experience even fewer issues outside of the USA. To me, its seemed like Canada, England, France, Sweden, and The Netherlands would be more progressive in terms of race relations. I felt like in those places, it might be more accepting of interracial relationships relative to living in Georgia (I've never been in a romantic relationship, but there were alot of non-Black females I had crushes on). It didn't help that I lived in a very "redneck" part of metro Atlanta, 50 minutes from the border with Alabama. Maybe if I had lived in Decatur or Sandy Springs, my view of Georgia during my teen years would have been much better.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I must admit that I'm just tired of dealing with all of the race related issues in the U.S. Other developed nations seem much more civilized. It would be refreshing to leave America and never have to worry about U.S. politics, and the various race based programming that is very common throughout America.
Where would you move that there are no race related issues?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:25 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Just curious, how many Black Americans have considered leaving America? If you were to leave, which nation would you immigrate to? I ask, because my friend and I were discussing becoming expats in other nations. She is interested in relocating to Canada or France, while I'm interested in Aruba or St Kitts.

Where would you relocate to, if you had the opportunity to leave America?

As an aside, each year, many people all over the world relocate out of their native born nations, but oddly, Black Americans rarely leave America. It is especially odd that highly educated black Americans who work in tech and business rarely become expats. There are however some who do.

I've followed the journey of several Black Americans who have relocated out of America and they seem much happier. I believe more Black Americans who have the ability, should consider this option.

I think it's rather sad to spend so much of one's existence fighting white American racism in particular, because you don't have the opportunity to just be you and focus on what's really important in life (i.e. family, establishing good friendships, becoming more spiritual, living a healthy lifestyle, volunteering, etc).
LOL at this whole post.

Most black people don't "fight white American racism" everyday. We are boring old American people who are black.

I'm black. I've never considered permanently moving to another country. However, I do want to live abroad temporarily for 2-3 years during my 40s or 50s. I'd want to go just for a different experience as I like experiencing new things.

But I consider America my country. You may not know it OP but there is a song called "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" which is considered the "Black National Anthem." In that song there is a verse with the following lyrics:

Quote:
God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears,
Thou who hast brought us thus far on the way;
Thou who hast by Thy might,
Led us into the light,
Keep us forever in the path, we pray.
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee,
Lest our heart, drunk with the wind of the world, we forget Thee;
Shadowed beneath Thy hand,
May we forever stand
True to our God
True to our native land
The bold/blue portion of the lyrics, pay special attention to the last line - true to our "native land." That "native land" is actually America.

Blacks have been in America just as long as white people. This is our country. Many of us feel much more of a connection to this nation than you do, we just view it differently than you do. I have ancestry in this country going back to the 1600s that I've documented. I consider myself a true American and feel that black Americans have been the main demographic of this nation that has made it actually adhere to the rights and freedoms as declared in our declaration of independence.

Due to that, I'd never want to go to another country. I do not consider myself to be an African since I am not culturally African.

However, I don't fault any person, black or otherwise who wants to live in another country. I have family members who live abroad and have, some, for decades. They live abroad because they feel they have a better quality of life. A couple of my cousins married people from different countries. One lives in the UK and says she would never come back here because of our crappy healthcare system.

My spouse would like us to move to Canada for the same reason lol.

But your OP sounds like you want to kick black people out of their own country because you know what is best for us to make us happy....That is ridiculous. I bet I have much longer roots in this country than you do since most white Americans are descendants of recent immigrants. It won't make me happy to give up my country after my people and my ancestors fought so long and so hard to give me the opportunities I have today.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:30 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
I actually think it would improve race relations if more educated upwardly mobile blacks relocated out of America.

Other people from different nations would be more exposed to the cream of the crop black Americans, which would actually help create positive stereotypes about blacks in those nations... Kind of like how Asian nations' best and brightest tend to relocate to various nations and everyone from that group is stereotyped as intelligent, ambitious and hard working...
This is ridiculous too.

Why is it the job of "educated, upwardly mobile blacks" to cure the world of racism....

We didn't create racism. If whites and Asians and other ethnic groups want to stop being racist, they should just stop because it is ignorant and dumb to believe that people are inferior to you just because they are black. You don't need a "good black" to cure your racism. Not all black people are the same.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:32 PM

209 posts, read 219,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am a Black male, 31, and I've thought about relocating out of America. This is nothing new for me. I thought about this going as far back as my teens. I thought about Canada, the UK, France, Germany, The Netherlands, the Scandinavian nations, Switzerland.
What is the biggest obstacle in your way at this point? For many, it's fear, as well as finances. I definitely plan to relocate out of America, but I have a really great position at this time, therefore, I'm simply saving..saving..saving (for my future relocation )

I'm not sure of the industry that you work in, but have you thought about looking into working for an American company with positions overseas or possibly becoming an entrepreneur?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This is ridiculous too.

Why is it the job of "educated, upwardly mobile blacks" to cure the world of racism....

We didn't create racism. If whites and Asians and other ethnic groups want to stop being racist, they should just stop because it is ignorant and dumb to believe that people are inferior to you just because they are black. You don't need a "good black" to cure your racism. Not all black people are the same.
I agree 100% w/ you, but my point is, our best and brightest are hidden from the world by mostly residing in America.

It is no secret that the white American media portrays black Americans in the worst light. Unfortunately, since most of us are in the U.S., other people outside of America rarely come in contact with any black Americans, therefore, many of the worst stereotypes continue to persist...

Old 07-06-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Where would you move that there are no race related issues?
I don't think that any nation is free from racism. I do however believe there are countries that don't have the same level of racial bigotry and animus as the U.S.

I'm simply tired of the black/white dichotomy that exist in the U.S. I'm also tired of the blatant discrimination and rampant disrespect that's become pervasive throughout this nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies