Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 10:06 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I don't know the statistics on this, but will trust you.

That aside, if women were really paid 30% (or whatever the claim is now) less than men for "the same work", then profit driven corporations would only hire women. What corporation would willingly pay 30% because someone has a penis?

Often times it's as simple as this: A man and a woman start their careers at the same time, let's say as teachers. Both start off at the same pay & receive the same raises. They meet at work, fall in love and get married. After 5 years, the woman gets pregnant and decides to stay home with the kid until they start kindergarten. Maybe even has a second kid & stays home until that one is in kindergarten. When that woman re-enters the workforce as a teacher, her husband has 8 years of raises & seniority on her. Naturally he's going to be earning more money & be in line for promotions over her, and no one I know would argue that's not fair.

Many women, once they have kids, prefer to work part time, or turn down raises that require more time investment, or relocation.

What isn't happening is the widespread underpaying of women, for no reason.
Stop trying to justify why women are paid less then the men counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 10:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
"That aside, if women were really paid 30% (or whatever the claim is now) less than men for "the same work", then profit driven corporations would only hire women. What corporation would willingly pay 30% because someone has a penis? "

I don't know; you tell us. We know it happens. I'm on my kindle right now where it's harder to look up stuff, but I have read stats that even controlling for length of time worked/full time v part time, etc, men make more than women for the same work. PT jobs can be broken down by hourly wages.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:20 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,093,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post

So women should get paid less if they work less hours?

Old 07-08-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
So women should get paid less if they work less hours?
Are we talking about hourly wage or salary.....big difference.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:28 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Why not be honest? Women are often paid less, but not for the "same work". When it is the "same work" it's almost always because of seniority or voluntary decisions. Again, why would corporations hire men at all if they could pad their bottom lines by 30% hiring only women?

Old 07-08-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't know; you tell us. We know it happens. I'm on my kindle right now where it's harder to look up stuff, but I have read stats that even controlling for length of time worked/full time v part time, etc, men make more than women for the same work. PT jobs can be broken down by hourly wages.
I don't know that it happens at all. I reject that premise. Why don't you educate me?

Old 07-08-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Are we talking about hourly wage or salary.....big difference.
You choose. I'll debate either one.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
You choose. I'll debate either one.
Ok, let's talk about salary. Why would women be paid less. There is a standard with how much vacation and sick leave you get.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:33 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:

Again, when you look at females and males performing the *exactly* same jobs there really isn't any sort of wage difference.

It is when you start comparing doctors where one is a cardiovascular surgeon (or many other specialties) versus say primary care, OB/GYN, Peds, etc.. then you see differences. However again female physicians often chose to create those differences.

Well known in medical circles is that females want/value "job work balance" or whatever you want to call it. That is they aren't willing to be on call 24/7, work weekends, holidays and the rest of goes with certain specialties. This and or they aren't interested in doing the extra many years of residency/training that is required for certain specialties. So again saying female doctors earn "less" than males does not tell the entire story.

Same thing with law as many female attorneys are dropping out of the partner circuit. They just aren't, for various personal reasons, interested in putting in the huge amount of billable hours and or working to bring in business that the partner track requires.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:34 PM

The top NBA players make $25 million a year + (which I think is ridiculous, btw), while the top WNBA player makes $100k. Since they do "the same work" shouldn't they be paid the same amount? Or is it that one player generates massive amounts of revenue worldwide & the other plays to mostly empty arenas?

Last edited by Mason3000; 07-08-2017 at 11:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies