Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 11:44 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Hardly.

Food Stamp recipients have a significantly higher obesity rate than everyone else, including the income-eligible who choose to NOT receive Food Stamps.
Yes, it's true. Food stamp recipients are generally of lower IQ and have lower self control. Give these people the means to buy more food that they don't have to pay for themselves and they'll make poor food buying choices most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 12:02 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
There are not "food deserts" in cities.
Educate yourself so you can avoid looking ignorant:

Quote:
A defining characteristic of food deserts is socio-economic: that is, they are most commonly found in communities of color and low-income areas (where many people don’t have cars). Studies have found that wealthy districts have three times as many supermarkets as poor ones do, that white neighborhoods contain an average of four times as many supermarkets as predominantly black ones do, and that grocery stores in African-American communities are usually smaller with less selection.

People’s choices about what to eat are severely limited by the options available to them and what they can afford—and many food deserts contain an overabundance of fast food chains selling cheap “meat” and dairy-based foods that are high in fat, sugar and salt. Processed foods (such as snack cakes, chips and soda) typically sold by corner delis, convenience stores and liquor stores are usually just as unhealthy.
http://www.foodispower.org/food-deserts/

Old 07-08-2017, 12:07 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Time to cut the strings!

No more handouts.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/r...191409015.html
But corporations like Coca-Cola and the people who make Twinkies will go broke! Think of the CEO's!

and people will lose weight!

OMG, we can not allow this to happen!

Old 07-08-2017, 12:18 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Educate yourself so you can avoid looking ignorant:

http://www.foodispower.org/food-deserts/

Grocers don't open stores in areas where it isn't economically viable to do so. Grocery stores have very low profit margins. In the city of Detroit, there isn't a single major chain grocery store. This is because of high rates of theft and crime that occur in Detroit make opening a store in the city a bad business decision to do so.

The quality of a community is the product of the quality of the people that make up that community. There are limited options in these areas because the people that live there make it unprofitable to open businesses there. It's stupid to call theses areas "food deserts." The stores that exist there are a direct result of the people that live there.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:31 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Corner stores do not have healthy foods unless you consider Takis and soda healthy.
Oh, please. I was born in Chicago. Lived in the city as a kid. Every corner store had fresh produce and canned fruits/vegetables.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Educate yourself so you can avoid looking ignorant
No need. Food deserts are located in remote areas where one cannot get to a grocery store easily. But that's not where most of the poverty is. It's in the cities, where, as I said, corner stores have fresh produce and canned fruits/vegetables, and at least weekly farmers markets within walking distance. I know. Born and raised in Chicago.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
There are stores everywhere in cities, it is the rural areas that do not have stores within a short distance/commute. Anyone can pull up a Google map or something and see the numerous stores all within short distances in every city.

Obesity is about eating too much, period. But as with many things, it is easier to blame everything but the lack of personal responsibility.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:18 PM

14,764 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Maybe it's because of where they live. Maybe most people who live in those high obesity states eat too much and eat junk food.

Poor people have always been more overweight--they eat pasta and whatever else is cheap. That's been going on as long as I can remember.

Smug of some people to want to deny food to other people
I agree. Look at the cheapest food in the store...it's usually junk food or high in carbs and fats.
If you are really poor you are going to try to get the most food for the buck that you can.

Quote:
There are not "food deserts" in cities. Cities have the highest poverty rate.
I live in Kentucky and I can assure you that the highest poverty rate in this state is rural.
Drug related problems are worse here in the rural areas than in the Urban areas also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There are stores everywhere in cities, it is the rural areas that do not have stores within a short distance/commute. Anyone can pull up a Google map or something and see the numerous stores all within short distances in every city.

Obesity is about eating too much, period. But as with many things, it is easier to blame everything but the lack of personal responsibility.
I absolutely agree with you about personal responsibility.
And like I said, our most impoverished areas in Kentucky are the rural areas.
(Think Appalachia and Coal Mining Ghost Towns of Eastern Kentucky)
I had a friend though who grew up in the city and while growing up their Mother would give
several dollars to each of her children and tell them to go to the store and get them a coke and a bag of chips, for their dinner. (Contemplate for one moment this scenario...and all the nutrition those children just got from that "dinner").

Honestly, just like you can't buy booze or cigarettes with food stamps, I think there are one or two other items which should maybe be exempt...but I don't think they should do away with the food stamp program.....maybe tweak it a little though.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:07 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Hardly.

Food Stamp recipients have a significantly higher obesity rate than everyone else, including the income-eligible who choose to NOT receive Food Stamps.

There was a time when rent consumed 73% of my income. My food stamps were spent largely on boxed mac-and-cheese, as I had only a hot plate. Did you think I gained or lost weight?

Old 07-08-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I live in Kentucky and I can assure you that the highest poverty rate in this state is rural.
That is generally not true, though, and I'd be willing to bet there are many MORE in poverty in KY's cities than rural areas. Why? Population density.

By far, cities have the highest number of those in poverty. It's simple math... Higher poverty rate x higher population density = MUCH higher number of those in poverty are in cities.

For info on poverty rate by residential area:

Quote:
Institute for Research on Poverty | University of Wisconsin–Madison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies