Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 02:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The highest poverty rate is in inner-cities, where there are markets on almost every major corner and farmer's markets at least once/week within walking distance.

Not all poor people, only poor people receiving Food Stamps have the significantly higher obesity rate. Income-eligible adults who DON'T receive Food Stamps have the same obesity rate as the non-poor.

SUPERMARKETS don't locate in the 'hood, they have been fleeing the 'hood. Mom and Pop corner markets move into that vacuum, but the prices necessarily skyrocket and the selection is poor, in a downward spiral.

If they carry any produce, it's low quality (the higher-end stores get the best), which makes it unappealing, and when unappealing produce doesn't sell, corner markets stop carrying it entirely, and the faster-moving junk food prevails.

When I drove a cab, I had one regular customer who took a cab to a supermarket once a month, where she purchased all her non-perishables as well as one week's worth of perishables. This was how she maximized her limited food budget. Even with the cab fare, this was cheaper for her than relying on her corner market for non-perishables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 02:26 PM

89,003 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

SUPERMARKETS don't locate in the 'hood, they have been fleeing the 'hood. Mom and Pop corner markets move into that vacuum, but the prices necessarily skyrocket and the selection is poor, in a downward spiral.
Isn't that to make up for shrinkage (loss due to theft)? That's no one's fault but that of the neighborhood residents.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:33 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
No need. Food deserts are located in remote areas where one cannot get to a grocery store easily. But that's not where most of the poverty is. It's in the cities, where, as I said, corner stores have fresh produce and canned fruits/vegetables, and at least weekly farmers markets within walking distance. I know. Born and raised in Chicago.
You have not lived there for a while. in many major cities, the only stores available are convenience store. Very little produce.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:36 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Which major cities have no grocery stores?

Old 07-08-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You have not lived there for a while. in many major cities, the only stores available are convenience store. Very little produce.
I visit frequently. I have many family members in various Chicago neighborhoods. Many don't have cars. They walk or take the bus to work and to run errands. Corner markets within walking distance do indeed have fresh produce and canned fruits/vegetables. That's reality.

Convenience stores are much more likely to be located in the suburbs, frequently as a combo with gas stations.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Which major cities have no grocery stores?
The excuse-making is insane.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:47 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Time to cut the strings!

No more handouts.

Quote:
Retail consultancy AlixPartners estimated retail collectively stands to lose $70.7 billion over the decade if the proposed cuts take place.
That's not true at all. Food Stamp users buy lotto tickets, gamble, spend money on tobacco, alcohol, drugs, butt-ugly tattoos, cable/satellite TV, internet and cell-phone plans, plus waste a lot of their Food Stamp dollars on poor food choices.

Cutting off Food Stamps only forces The Poor® to make better Life-Style choices.

It's a Win-Win for everyone.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
For many people, food stamps (and WIC) allow them to free up money to spend on unnecessary items.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:59 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times
Quote:
Hardly.

Food Stamp recipients have a significantly higher obesity rate than everyone else, including the income-eligible who choose to NOT receive Food Stamps.
That's what I meant. Perhaps I should've put the rolling eyes emoticon. That would have conveyed my point that without food stamps, these people would find another way of getting food. Some would steal, some would beg relatives and churches, some would find work and pay for it, or some combination of the above.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
The highest poverty rate is in inner-cities, where there are markets on almost every major corner and farmer's markets at least once/week within walking distance.
What "inner city" has markets on almost every major corner and farmer's markets within walking distance every week?

LMAO...you finally proved that you're not very well travelled. You obviously live in the burbs and you STAY in the burbs too. Because if you ventured into any "inner city," you'd know better than that.

Or you live in the boondocks and just listen to tall tales of inner city life. But you've NEVER been to any inner city. That much I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies